News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Andriole

Re: Reminents of war on the links
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2002, 07:51:17 AM »
Ther are srill cannons near the 17th at Kingsmill
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2002, 07:53:13 AM »
Great pictures, Pete!

Here is my photo from North Berwick showing the anti-tank cement barricades around the perimeter of the course along the shoreline.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:02 PM by -1 »
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

ChipOat

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2002, 01:38:04 PM »
The little 9 hole course at Woodberry Forest School (Donald Ross circa 1910) near Orange, VA was the site of a Civil War encampment.  It's been some years since they've found any leftover artifacts, but the school's museum has some old buttons and bullets that were recovered from the course.

BTW, while the layout is pretty basic, the greens are vintage Ross and the Donald Ross Society has blessed the course as authentic early work by the master.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2002, 02:39:27 PM »
Gil's Crail course is located right next to and in some places on a old RAF airfield. I walked around the gutted-out, old tower for that airstrip with Winston Churchill's voice echoing in my head, "And this would be their finest hour/We shall never surrender."

You can go to the seaside cliff and down there still is a gun platform, used for any anti-aircraft defense.

Yes, we even have our very own SoCal series of reminents! Billy Bell Jr's Sandpiper in Goleta is where up until September 11th, the last place supposedly attacked by a foreign entity--A Japanese Imperial Navy submarine launched a couple of torpedoes into some oil wells that used to reside on the property, just on shore. the remanats are still there off of the par 3, 11th.

Kennemer, in Holland is a Harry Colt course that is supposedly on sandy duneland that was the site of concrete anti-tank diversions that basically tore up a lot of the course. They rebuilt it and it too can be read about in the World Golf Atlas.

Lastly, Before I went to St. Andrews back in 1996, I had the fortune of one of those dreams that will last in my memory for a life time.

Given my complete infatuation for the Old Course, the dream I had was one very similar to the poem/story that Brian has included in his post. Only the aggressors were skeletons in a scene that could loosely be based on something out of Dante's Inferno. I was on the defending side of course, and with an army of Scots at my command, planning my defense against these agressors.

The site of this battle was of course on The Old Course.

Now that I have divulged my deepest, darkest dreams I have a funny feeling Dr. Katz, along with two rather large orderlies are ready to knock on my door with my white jacket, telling me everything is going to be alright.

I think need to switch to Sanka.

Robert_Walker

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2002, 03:35:40 PM »
Turnberry was used as an airbase, and there is a war memorial there. The course at Governor's island in New York?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2002, 06:37:08 PM »
NAF,

Turnberry, with its runways, and to a lessor degree Prestwick brings memories of the RAF and American Bomber squadrons.

It was my understanding that the east coast was where the fighter squadrons were based, for early interception, and that the west coast was where the bomber squadrons were based, further removed, and less susceptible to German attack.

Gullane # 1's tank traps and anti invasionary features certainly bring one mind back to the late 30's early 40's during the Second World War.

Richard_Goodale

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2002, 06:58:45 PM »
If you count the "cold" war, Machrihanish abuts the now abandoned (?) RAF/US Navy Seal/USAF Electronic Warfare/"Area 51" prototyped testing area , etc. military base.

Jim_Bick

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2002, 06:27:58 PM »
Not really remnants, but Old Moray is so close to Lossiemouth RAF base that there are landing lights in the fairways. While I admit it's distracting for golf, it's pretty thrilling to have fighters and bombers so close over your head (50 feet) that you can feel the heat from the engines and you must cover your ears. Up until then, I thought Doral or maybe Troon had the most air traffic.

On top of that, they fly up and practice bombing across the water from Dornoch. That might count as a remnant of today's defense realities.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2002, 10:39:16 PM »
Rich, they are supposed to be flying Aurora spy planes out of there aren't they?

Here is something from one of the conspriacy web pages, the same one that reports aliens taking over the golf community of Orange County.

The Aurora Aircraft

The plane which is supposed to travel generating no sound (see above) is supposed to be based in Europe at 'Machrihanish' Strike Command Nato base (I was there with the ATC), in Scotland. This is because to fly from the US to Europe it doesnt have to travel over much land and so wouldnt be easily noticed.

The base in Scotland is remote and away from any major civilization. I can tell you that there are hundreds of U.S Navy personnel at the base, but most of the RAF personnel at the base didnt know what the Americans were doing there. They seemed to go into buildings and just stay there for hours. Because the RAF base is also used by civilian aircraft, this gave the public limited access to the airfield. And so, civilian planes have flown over and taken infra red pictures which show underground activity at the base.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2002, 12:55:39 AM »
Tommy Naccarato,

Is the Aurora a "pulse" propelled aircraft ?

These are the questions I have at 4:00 am.

Richard_Goodale

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2002, 07:28:06 AM »
Tommy/Pat

The rumours that were rife several years ago in Britain were about "Aurora."  There were some pictures in the tabloid papers of vapor trails which looked like a string of pearls (i.e. a puff of vapor, then some space then anothre puff again, etc.).  Maybe this is a "pulse" engine.  I don't know and can say no mo

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back