News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Morrow

Re: Best Beach and Golf Combination
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 12:18:14 AM »
My wife wants to go to the beach this summer and I want to play golf.  She already ruled out Pebble Beach :-) and Hawaii.

Where are some good locations to take the wife and kids and still be able to play some decent courses?

Thanks,
Paul

Mustang Island, Texas. Newport Dunes (didn't Sims or Halladay call it the Bandon of the Gulf Coast), Padre Isles, Northshore, and Rockport. Plus Wolf Point is 90 minutes away. I can stay on the couch, or my car. I know the way around the place Paul.

Ted Harris

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2011, 03:51:17 AM »
Ireland. You should see the beaches next to Tralee, Ballybunion, Lahinch, Doonbeg and many more!!!!

I found the nicest beaches in Ireland to be next to Portsalon and Narin and Portnoo golf courses

Ashley Clinch

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2011, 04:19:16 AM »
Coober Pedy, South Australia!!

Check the picture next to the text, take a blow up pool, set the kids up at the back of the green and you got golf and beach all in one.

cheers from Oz

Sev K-H Keil

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2011, 04:37:07 AM »
I second Bob on the Mid Ocean recommendation --- phenomenal C.B Macdonald course and wonderful private beach club. An alternative would be Tucker's Point Club next door...

Tim Martin

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2011, 07:17:39 AM »
Although the east end of Long Island has already been suggested I would also make a pitch for Nassau County. Jones Beach and Bethpage State Park would cover everybody. There are a ton of great privates as well if you can get access(Garden City, Deepdale, Piping Rock, Creek etc.). If your wife is a people watcher she will see it all at Jones Beach. No shortage of great restaurants and easy access into NYC.

jeffwarne

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2011, 07:35:32 AM »
Although the east end of Long Island has already been suggested I would also make a pitch for Nassau County. Jones Beach and Bethpage State Park would cover everybody. There are a ton of great privates as well if you can get access(Garden City, Deepdale, Piping Rock, Creek etc.). If your wife is a people watcher she will see it all at Jones Beach. No shortage of great restaurants and easy access into NYC.

as you make the approach over Staten Island, thru Brooklyn, into Queens, and thru South Shore traffic hell...that should have the family dripping with anticipation.
You really going to leave your family there while you sneak on Garden City?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tim Martin

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2011, 08:20:12 AM »

as you make the approach over Staten Island, thru Brooklyn, into Queens, and thru South Shore traffic hell...that should have the family dripping with anticipation.
Jeff-As someone that makes his living on Long Island you are quite the promoter. If you were coming from the south and chose the Goethals Bridge instead of 95 to 495 then I give you a D- for planning. I guess you would discourage anyone from coming to the east end as well based on your post.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2011, 08:24:28 AM »
Thailand has some nice scenery and big name architects.

No (And I am in Thailand at present !)

jeffwarne

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2011, 08:50:34 AM »

Jeff-As someone that makes his living on Long Island you are quite the promoter. If you were coming from the south and chose the Goethals Bridge instead of 95 to 495 then I give you a D- for planning. I guess you would discourage anyone from coming to the east end as well based on your post.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to have them miss the Cross Bronx to complete the slam.
My posts are lacking with the broken emoticons!
Would you really go up 95 past the city-then the Cross Bronx-then accross the Throgs Neck? all to get to 495? (you're not considering going thru manhatten are you?)
I go to Pennsylvaia quite a bit and usually cross Staten Island (which can be rough, but I've never had any luck on the Cross bronx)

The guy's looking for a resort-Bethpage's great, but not condusive to quick rounds and getting back to the family.
The great courses you listed are going to require connections to play and all that would have to be fit into his and his family's logistics.
If he was going to do that though, I'd send him to Timber Point as well.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

hick

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2011, 09:09:31 AM »
I would also tip my hat to Bermuda, spent the last four new years on Bermuda. My wife and i stay at the fairmont southhampton and i cant say enough good things about it . You can play riddell"s bay , Mid Ocean, and tuckers. Not sure if one can stay at Mid Ocean. The fairmont has a 18 hole par three course as well .

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2011, 09:11:12 AM »
As someone who has spent most of the last dozen summers in Pawleys Island, SC, I would have to recommend it over most any other summer golf/beach spot.  This is especially true if your kids might have some interest in taking up golf with you.  A large percentage of the courses down there let kids play for free along with a parent.  And besides golf, as many others have said, there is much to do.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Mike Hendren

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2011, 09:19:10 AM »
You said "decent" courses.  The beaches between Destin and Panama City, Florida blow away everything else that's been recommended and you won't spend an arm and a leg.  Stay at Seaside or as close as possible - it's a great family locale.  Norman's SharkTooth, Fazio's Camp Creek and Love Design's Origin Course (which can play as a 6 holes regulation course, 9 holes executive course of 10 holes par three course) are good enough.  Cozy up to Bill McBride and play Pate's redesign of Pensacola CC - a little drive but worth it. 

Compromise on the golf - not the beach.

Bogey  
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tim Martin

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2011, 09:45:03 AM »

Yeah, I wouldn't want to have them miss the Cross Bronx to complete the slam.
My posts are lacking with the broken emoticons!
Would you really go up 95 past the city-then the Cross Bronx-then accross the Throgs Neck? all to get to 495? (you're not considering going thru manhatten are you?)
I go to Pennsylvaia quite a bit and usually cross Staten Island (which can be rough, but I've never had any luck on the Cross bronx)

The guy's looking for a resort-Bethpage's great, but not condusive to quick rounds and getting back to the family.
The great courses you listed are going to require connections to play and all that would have to be fit into his and his family's logistics.
If he was going to do that though, I'd send him to Timber Point as well.

Jeff-I really don`t have any great desire to argue with you over driving directions. I would imagine if it is a vacation there would be some planning involved and the last thing I knew major metro areas are known to have traffic issues let alone NYC. It was only a suggestion.  

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2011, 10:54:14 AM »
You said "decent" courses.  The beaches between Destin and Panama City, Florida blow away everything else that's been recommended and you won't spend an arm and a leg.  Stay at Seaside or as close as possible - it's a great family locale.  Norman's SharkTooth, Fazio's Camp Creek and Love Design's Origin Course (which can play as a 6 holes regulation course, 9 holes executive course of 10 holes par three course) are good enough.  Cozy up to Bill McBride and play Pate's redesign of Pensacola CC - a little drive but worth it. 

Bogey  

^^^This^^^

Gorgeous beaches, great for families, great little seafood restaurants, really good golf and easy to get to now that the new airport in Panama City Beach is open.
www.feedtheball.com -- a podcast about golf architecture and design
@feedtheball

Adam_Messix

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2011, 11:29:41 AM »
Mike H nailed it.  The answer for good golf, great beaches, and reasonable accomodations, Destin is the answer.  All of the courses are really nice to excellent, and Pensacola is a great addition if you can get on. 

If you're looking for something a little nicer and really kid friendly, try staying at the Hilton Sandestin.  The hotel is Gulffront and has a cool kids programs and activities if you're looking for some free time.  Also, Seagars Steakhouse in the hotel is one of the very best restaurants out there. 

The other locale that hasn't been mentioned is Jekyll/Sea Island, Georgia.  Sea Island has been much discussed with a variety of public and private golf courses.  Sea Islands accomodations are five star and priced accordingly.  Jekyll is more reasonably priced and the golf courses are nice. 

jeffwarne

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2011, 11:33:31 AM »
Mike H nailed it.  The answer for good golf, great beaches, and reasonable accomodations, Destin is the answer.  All of the courses are really nice to excellent, and Pensacola is a great addition if you can get on. 

If you're looking for something a little nicer and really kid friendly, try staying at the Hilton Sandestin.  The hotel is Gulffront and has a cool kids programs and activities if you're looking for some free time.  Also, Seagars Steakhouse in the hotel is one of the very best restaurants out there. 

The other locale that hasn't been mentioned is Jekyll/Sea Island, Georgia.  Sea Island has been much discussed with a variety of public and private golf courses.  Sea Islands accomodations are five star and priced accordingly.  Jekyll is more reasonably priced and the golf courses are nice. 

Jekyll is a good call

Sean_A

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2011, 11:37:42 AM »
You said "decent" courses.  The beaches between Destin and Panama City, Florida blow away everything else that's been recommended and you won't spend an arm and a leg.  Stay at Seaside or as close as possible - it's a great family locale.  Norman's SharkTooth, Fazio's Camp Creek and Love Design's Origin Course (which can play as a 6 holes regulation course, 9 holes executive course of 10 holes par three course) are good enough.  Cozy up to Bill McBride and play Pate's redesign of Pensacola CC - a little drive but worth it.  

Bogey  

Bogey

I am not convinced that FLA beaches beat anything going.  I don't know about Mat's preferences, but what would keep me away from FLA is the heat/humidity.  If we are talking summer beach hols - the south is ot for me.  Sand and heat are a bad mix.  Perhaps that is why I much prefer beach holidays in England - tho Nantucket is awesome.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth & Old Barnwell

Brad Wilbur

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2011, 11:46:45 AM »
Another vote for Litchfield Beach.  Upscale enough that wives enjoy it, yet golfing wise, it's got quality.  A realtor called some of the people there halfbacks.  They moved from the northern areas to Florida, disliked the summers, so moved "halfback".

SL_Solow

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2011, 12:03:05 PM »
The Traverse City area is a low key family oriented reasonably priced alternative.  Beaches are beautiful and there are dunes to explore. Some wonderful golf which is either public or fairly easy to access.  Futher south along the lake is also beautiful but the golf becomes less interesting.  On the Wisconsin side, Kohler is a nice alternative but it is pretty costly.  There are some smaller areas on little lakes that are fun, Green Lake with Lawsonia for example, but those are very low key.

Stan Dodd

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2011, 12:51:18 PM »
San Diego in the summer is very hard to beat for beaches.  The golf, though not great is at least entertaining.  If it is wife and kids compromise on the golf.  If it is trly for wife and kids leave your clubs at home. Take in the Zoo, go to a Pads game.  Lay on some beautiful sand beaches.  Play Torrey North.
Sand Diego has much too offer.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2011, 02:25:03 PM »

Jekyll is a good call

Should you choose Jekyll, be sure to play the nine hole Great Dunes course.  Really, really fun!

archie_struthers

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2011, 02:59:45 PM »

Mucci recommended my back yad and he is right. Ocean City , Stone Harbor or Avalon NJ all have great beaches and lots of good golf public and private . Ther are a million things for the kids , it's not as hot as further south and there is Atlantic City just up the road.
Plenty or touristy stuff , boardwalk in OCNJ is world famous , lots of good restaurants . Not looking to solicit business but I have a small RE office that handles all this stuff every day... nuff said

Golf is good , lots of good options public and private ,  and if you have never been to the Jersey Shore don't equae all of it with Sniikie and co  LOL    It is great vacationing at the beaches and people come from all over the eastern half of the usa

Mike Hendren

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2011, 03:23:56 PM »

Jekyll is a good call

Should you choose Jekyll, be sure to play the nine hole Great Dunes course.  Really, really fun!

+1 on Great Dunes.  Worth playing for the Alps hole alone.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Greg Tallman

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2011, 07:21:55 PM »
July - September: Bermuda
October - June: Cabo

End of discussion

Bill_McBride

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2011, 07:47:23 PM »
July - September: Bermuda
October - June: Cabo

End of discussion

Unless they want to drive!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back