News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Klein

Superintendents Show in Orlando
« on: February 13, 2002, 08:12:59 PM »
Just got back from the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America annual conference and trade show in Orlando's Orange County Convention Center, Feb. 3-10.

These are not narrow turf heads; they also understand the relationship between turf type and design/playing characteristics. The architecture panels were packed, and the greenkeepers bought up all of Sleeping Bear's stock of design-related golf books. Literally sold out their stock - for which several of us are grateful.

There was a great session devoted to fescue on golf courses. Among the designers in attendance at the show there were a cross-section of the archietcts: Bill Coore, Todd Eckenrode, Ron Forse, Mike Hurdzan, Rick Jacobson, Robert Trent Jones II, Tom Marzolf, Damian Pascuzzo, Steve Smyers, Mike DeVries. In short, it was a great meeting and worth going to.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

RJ_Daley

Re: Superintendents Show in Orlando
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2002, 09:57:18 PM »
I would like it if Ran would consider a booth-table at next year's show, staffed by some of our regulars.  It would be just for conversation, and maybe accept some donations to defray costs inorder to have this forum to yammer and exchange ideas on classic courses and preserving them.  :P
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dunlop_White

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2002, 10:36:30 PM »
Brad,

I'm so tired of talking in circles about this "genetically pure", hybrid turfgrass called "tifsport" that I don't know what to do! But I just have to ask, did they mention the design and/or playing characteristics of Tifsport at the GCSAA conference which you attended? If so, what did they convey?

Many thanks and I will see you soon!

Dunlop

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2002, 04:19:05 AM »
Dunlop:

What do you mean talking in circles about tifsport? Are you trying to explain something about it or find out something about it?

Brad:

Very encouraging. Was there much talk about irrigation practices and firmer conditions (particularly "through the green") to meld better into some of the designs?

Brad Klein

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2002, 04:45:31 AM »
Irrigation is a big part of the conversation, and happily, the focus is on using modern, triple row systems and variable heads to keep the course dry.

The worst thing ever to happen to course design was single-row automaticc irirgation sprinklers. They covered a 30-yard wide swath, and in order to get enough water on the ground supers had to over-water in the hope that some would reach the ground. That was then, and it led to straightened fairways, dead grass on the sides, and a decision to overplant those areas with trees to cover the dead turfgrass.

Modern triple-row systems offer wider coverage, greater efficiency, and the chance to apply far less water overall. That allows for firm conditions. The healthiest turfgrass has deep roots - only derived from infrequent, deep waterings. Frequest, short irrigation cycles produces shallow roots and thatch, Poa annua, and soggy ground conditions.

All modern supers now understand this. The real question is whether they have good enough irrigation systems to keep the course dry. In any case, this is a much-discussed topic at all greenkeeper trade shows.

Kelly_Blake_Moran

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2002, 05:12:01 AM »
The triple row system, or better said, multi-row system, because there are many situations where 4 and 5 rows are required, is part of the need.  Small Hunter heads around the bunker complexes gives direct watering to slopes and surrounds, and when fescue is planted around the bunkers, the grass can be stressed by reducing applications of water to the bunker complexes and achieve that magnificent, rustic yellow look around the bunkers.  Multi-row systems, where head to head coverage is aligned along the edge of fairway or primary rough, and wider spacing is used in the secondary rough just for grow-in, can reduce irrigation needs by 3,000,000 to 6,000,000 gallons a year in the northeast.  The proper system requires about 2,200 heads, about $1,000,000 to $1,200,000 for ,materials and installation, and it gives excellent control over water use, aids in providing drier conditions, reduce pest stresses.  Some balk at the price, but when it comes to infrastructure items liek irrigation and drainage you have to pay some money to save some money.

Anthony Pioppi

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2002, 05:55:08 AM »
One of the most interesting seminars at the show was, Affordable Alternatives: An ASGCA Perspective on Affordable Golf.

Damian Pascuzzo hosted with Rick Jacobson, Ray Hearn, Mike Hurdzan and Don Knott on the panel. There were at least another half dozen architects in the audience which numbered close to 200 people.

The focus was developing golf facilities on undesirable pieces of land or small parcels of property in an attempt to help foster the game. Each panelist went through projects they worked on from 9-hole layouts, to executive courses with alternate tees, to short courses for kids, to regulation 18s with very short tees on each hole.

Pascuzzo told an interesting story of a California course that rents out sand wedges and putters with players hitting off artificial tees. The place does 50,000 rounds a year charging between $2 and $5.

The panel was bombarded with questions during and after the session about making these projects work. It was great to see superintendents and architects interested in building facilities that, while they may not win awards, will certainly encourage newcomers to take up the game.

Now for something completely different:

Played Mountain Lake and saw Brian Silva's restoration plans that look to bring original green sizes as well as Raynor style bunkers that have become shallow. Can't wait to get back there to play after the work is done in early 2003 A.D.

Also played Steve Smyers' Old Memorial with Steve, Bob Labbance and Eddie Adams, greenkeeper of the Old Course. Tough layout with plenty of risk and reward setups. It played easy that day because the wind was only gusting to about 25 mph! The ground game thrives at Old Memorial. We all chose to keep the ball on the ground for approach shots on a number of occassions, including Mr. Adams who knows a little about the bump-and-run shot.

Slag Bandoon

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2002, 10:28:32 AM »
 Brad, you state --  "There was a great discussion devoted to fescue on golf courses."

Would you please elaborate or give us any group conclusion?

Brad Klein

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2002, 11:55:31 AM »
Slag, I'll devote a detailed (new) thread to fescues tonight. It needs a separate discussion, and I need the time to develop it.

Bill McBride

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2002, 02:25:16 PM »
I LOVE the idea of par 3 courses -- too many of them are meadows with closely grown meadow for the greens, no design.  I will never forget playing the NLE par 3 at the Awahnee Hotel with my little brother and my dad.  Elevated mini-greens, deep bunkers, wild MacKenzie looking!  And another fun little pitch and putt 9 holer near the UCSB campus during college days.  I can still remember the smell of the lemons when you would whack them with your wedge.  I'm not sure how much wear a course like that could handle, but what could be more fun for dads and their kids and what a great teaching / learning opportunity!   Are many such courses being built today with real design attributes rather than just a mower and 9 flags?  

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2002, 03:25:52 PM »
I have found many of the industry insiders understand very well about Firm and Fast conditions but for some reason or another they can't sell the concept to their higher-ups (green is goodie two-shoes mgr's/membership) or have actual physical constraints to underwatering. Such as high ET rates and/or mounding or undulating topography.

PGertner

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2002, 04:28:19 PM »
As someone going through the process, the cost figure is quite close to $ 1000 per sprinkler head.  The design of our new system, with the most modern control system available, with 1100 or so rotors, will cost my membership about
$ 1.2 million.  We are starting installation in 2 weeks, and I wish it was tomorrow!!

John_D._Bernhardt

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2002, 06:58:42 PM »
Bill, Isn't the course in Yosemite located by another hotel near the southwest entrance.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2002, 07:09:51 PM »
John, the course you are referring to is the Wawona GC, just outside the actual boundry of the course on the back road down to Mariposa.  The "course" at Awahnee, inside the park, was the par 3 course.  Wawona is a very old (1920?) 9 holer, run down these days but obviously in a spectacular setting.  Not many good holes, but the 220 yd 2nd, downhill with OB left hard against the green, is scary. I think the 6th is about 430 yards straight downhill, 40 yards wide with thick pine forest both sides, blind tee shot!  Hit it straight and pray - the 2nd will usually be no more than a 9 iron - if you can find it!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:02 PM by -1 »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back