News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Kelly

To me, it almost looks like someone tried to rank the courses based on which one was the prettiest and ignored the golf aspect. 

I agree.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Mark Saltzman

And for the record, I think these state lists (especially public) are perhaps the most important for the retail golfer.  So, we need to get this kind of thing right.

Mac, I think this is right on.  Of course, there is more prestige [for the golf course] to be ranked among the top-100 golf courses in the country / world, but for the travelling golfer the state-by-state list is the most important.

Mac Plumart

Mac,
I tend to agree with you that a lot of the state lists from all publications need some work. Why do you think these are so hard to get right?

Man...this is a tough one to answer. 

I think a big part of it is emphasis and focus.  The national magazines have a focus on the Top 100 US (or world) lists.  This probably helps them sell magazines across the country...which they need to do.  So in essence, you get hundreds of raters rating the Top 100 in the country/world.

Then you get a handful of raters in a single state where each and every vote matters and moves the needle a good bit.  Fewer votes=more volatility.  And one or two "bad" votes mess things up.

Hmmm...that is the best I got...I'm not confident that answer is right.

Anyone else have some thoughts?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Ronald Montesano

Since non-golf-writer raters are not compensated (beyond the golf) to the best of my knowledge, theirs is a volunteer industry.

Some states have a top 15 list and that's it...not enough great courses to be listed. When it comes to New York, you have 15 great courses on one island! 15 more in one county! and another 15 across the state! Three separate districts, so how do you bring them all together and determine merits.

I wonder if there is a single Buffalo gal or guy, a single Rochester gal or guy, a single Syracuse or Albany gal or guy, on any of the rating boards. If there aren't, and the rater list is populated by NYC Metro names, it's no wonder that upstate (pretty much everything north and west of the Catskills and Westchester) gets short shrift.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Andy Troeger

Mac,
I think that's a reasonable response. Its tough to answer a question when there isn't necessarily a "right" answer or one that applies to all situations. I think the number of ballots required certainly makes a difference--outliers make a bigger impact.

I think Ron's point is probably valid too. I would guess that Metro NYC courses get more ballots than upstate courses. Perhaps more importantly, once courses get rated in a certain way, it seems to be tough for raters to "change" those results as too many follow what's already been done.

Ron, I'm not sure what percentage of NY raters are spread throughout the state. I know that's the goal, but in New Mexico its VERY hard to find accomplished golfers outside of the Albuquerque area that are willing and able to travel and see places. Given the size of Syracuse and Rochester and the quality of courses in those areas, that doesn't seem like it should be a problem in New York.

Jud_T

IMO Stanwich is too high at #2 in CT...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Niall Hay

Minnesota is pretty much in the ballpark.  Completely agree with top 5, though my order would be different.

Personally I think Somerset (10th), Northland (8th) are a bit too low;   Somerby (9th) Woodhill (14th), Deacons Lodge (16th) also feel high.

Also think Rush Creek and Dacatoh Ridge probably merit top 10 status.

Somerby was Ranked #6 in Golf Digest’s “Best In State” Ranking for 2009-2010. Why does it feel high?

David Lott

Your web site could use better navigation. Once one clicks through to the courses of a particular state, there is no simple way to return to the main directory for other states. Very annoying and a fundamental error.
David Lott

Pete Blaisdell

Jim
  Having played every course in the great State of New Hampshire and a few that no longer exist, I can say that the list of the best in Nh is not too far off with a few exceptions.

Balsams--Bit overrated , good course but not a Top Ten
    Owl's Nest--Needs a few more years of maturity and some touching up around the greens.
    Shattuck-- DOES NOT belong in the TOP 25, Still don't know what Brian was thinking when he designed this. Not an enjoyable course to play.

I would replace these three with the following.

Bretwood North
    Concord CC
    Keene CC

Special mention to the following

Abenaqui CC
    Nashua CC
    Bald Peak
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Mike Nuzzo

The Texas list is pretty good, except Wolf Point is better (more fun) than any on the list.
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back