News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: Chaos vs Order
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 04:17:05 AM »
But isnt the chaos you are discussing really just individual perspective and unstifled artistic form, only view as chaos by those who choose to confrom?

No, it isn't.  I remember Mr. Dye giving me a tour of Casa de Campo many years ago and telling me how the workers had completely misunderstood his instructions for the 13th hole [a lot of which was excavated by hand labor].  He said he had to take what they did and make it work ... and that many of his best holes were the product of poor communication or somebody screwing up!

When we are shaping holes there are several times every day where you just see something you weren't expecting halfway through what you were trying to do.  If you can take those visions and run with them it usually makes the work far better and more original.  You just have to have no fear of deviating from the plans when a good idea presents itself.  Sometimes there are consultants or government agencies trying to control the project who want to stop this sort of improvisation, but improv is essential to great work.

Emil Weber

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2014, 05:57:09 AM »
Don and Tom,

Just yesterday Night I happened to browse through some TED Talks aswell and came across Barry Schwartz talking about what he calls practical wisdom. There are several parallels to this discussion and especially what Tom Doak describes in the last reply about "improvising" when things go different to what is planend or what might be the rule.

"Rules avert disaster but guarantee mediocrity" he sais and that would pretty much be my final answer to the initial question.

If you have 20 minutes ans can set aside the grander political and economical scale of the Talk, it is well worth it.
http://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz_on_our_loss_of_wisdom

Cheers
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 06:01:17 AM by Emil Weber »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2014, 07:14:34 PM »
I'd like to see TD give us an analysis of this interesting discussion you have posed here Don, comparing his experiences of the team he had to co-manage at SEbonack vs the team he had to manage at DR and which produced more order or chaos and which is to the most successful final product of a golf experience for the golfing consumer.

Seriously?

Well, OK.  There was some chaos at Sebonack because there were so many different players [architects, associates, shapers, superintendent, owner, etc.] with different points of view.  Plus, the contour of the land was almost as good as the best of Nebraska ... all sorts of opportunities there.  But we had to reach a consensus, which requires order, and there was politics at every step.  [Somebody should have done an organizational chart for Sebonack ... that would be really funny to see now.] 

If either Jack or I had just had the final say, and not had to get the other [or the client] to agree, the course would be more original.  But the client chose not to do it that way, because he wanted to create more space [chaos?] to voice his own opinion, which he wouldn't have been able to do as much with either architect acting alone.

At Dismal River, the land provided most of the chaos.  The construction process was as smooth as silk, and I was fine with understaffing it with equipment and manpower to ensure that the land ruled the day.  I'd be curious to know what parts of the design Don ascribes to being "chaotic" ... certainly there are some features like the bumpy fairway on #15 that we would never have thought to create from scratch ... and one of the places we did move some dirt [to address cart traffic near #4 green] resulted in one of the most praised holes on the course.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2014, 07:22:00 PM »
Wouldn't a great architect be able to make some form of order from complete chaos (say Sand Hills and the thousands of golf holes) while also being able to bring a bit of chaos to a site full of "order" (Apache Stronghold)?

archie_struthers

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2014, 09:25:10 PM »
 >:(

Is chaos too,strong .?  Probably.

The nature of golf design almost guarantees a formulaic  approach in some respects. We are limited by the size of the site , the ballistics inherent to the equipment , and the use of a limited range of par.  It's not chaos , although aspects of quirk or random features might make for an interesting course.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 09:28:20 PM by archie_struthers »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back