News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil McDade

Re: Olympia Fields - North
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 09:21:52 PM »
I agree.  I just finished played in the two day Butler Cup at Butler....from the tips.  I want to quit golf.

Ryan:

Isn't it worth it, then, just to have one......measly.........token............female.............member there? ;)

JR Potts

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 09:56:26 PM »
First, sorry for the terrible grammar.

Second, they have dedicated their efforts toward hosting supposedly gifted amateur events....and I say supposedly as I was invited and I made four nines (9s) over the past two rounds.

Broke 85 both times though.   ::)

Butler is a special place....and I think it looses some of that if one......measly.......token.......female......is admitted.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 10:04:09 PM by Ryan Potts »

J_ Crisham

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2010, 10:00:36 PM »
Phil,  I played Butler this past Friday and no, I think they have it just right! ;)  Had a better score at Butler than I did on OFCC south yesterday-very tough track as well from the blue tees.
                                                              Jack

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2010, 10:52:24 PM »
Uh, Jordan, were you at the club for the Evans Scholars Outing?  I was the guy in the brown suit that high-fived the Wisconsin table marching in. Fantastic event wasn't it? Saw some of you guys at the pool after dinner. Don't know what was going on though.
That was one hellacious beaver.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2010, 10:53:55 PM »
Played Butler on Sunday (but not as part of the Butler Cup). Ryan, were you there that day?

I found Butler hard but not in an overly tight kinda way (perhaps because they lost a bunch of trees earlier this year). Great condition, and some cool par 3's. So while it was certainly hard, it felt like less of a grind to me than ......

Medinah, where I played on Monday, which was unbelievably tight -- probably the tightest long/hard course I've ever played. Couple of amazing holes, but it was a total grind.

Didn't help that it was the worst back-to-back ball-striking rounds I've had in 10 years. Not the right places to do that!

JWinick

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2010, 12:25:30 AM »
Sounds like you were impressed.  With respect to the Par 3s, I do think collectively they are quite strong, as they do provide impressive variety.   The 6th hole is 187 from the tips, the 8th 247, the 13th 168, and the 16th 215.   I agree that the Par 3s are stronger on the back.   

Sorry, Jeff, I was at Olympia Saturday and yesterday (Monday) and should have known to send you a message or email.  Good news though, I loved Chicago and will surely be back, and to Olympia Fields as well.  Next time...

I disagree with regards to the par-3's.  Like I said, they're good but not great, and they were not what made the course stand out.  The sixth is somewhat ho-hum, the eighth is long and tough but unoriginal.  While the thirteenth and sixteenth are the better two of the four par-3's, I still think they lacked interest compared to many of the longer holes.  Thirteen is no more than an eight iron from all the way back on the back box, and as such missing left shouldn't really happen.  Sixteen has a really good green, and the back pin looks like it falls off the earth, but I still felt other holes were more inspiring.  I do agree, however, that thirteen is well placed as to get from twelve to fourteen and continue the back nine's wonderful routing.  I wonder if it could have been a better hole?

What's the consensus on fifteen?  

Who feels six is too tight?  From the tips, you can barely fit a pencil through those trees.  I like how the bunker guards the best angle but that is the one hole on the course that is too tight for my taste.

I also thought the second was a fantastic hole, and I don't believe it gets much credit, especially being right before the third.  Anyone else in that boat, that the second is awesome?

JWinick

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2010, 12:26:39 AM »
The puzzling thing about Butler is why the members want the course to be so tough.   If you're never going to have a female member (thus excluding the club from hosting pro tournaments), then why do they keep going over the top in difficulty?   

Played Butler on Sunday (but not as part of the Butler Cup). Ryan, were you there that day?

I found Butler hard but not in an overly tight kinda way (perhaps because they lost a bunch of trees earlier this year). Great condition, and some cool par 3's. So while it was certainly hard, it felt like less of a grind to me than ......

Medinah, where I played on Monday, which was unbelievably tight -- probably the tightest long/hard course I've ever played. Couple of amazing holes, but it was a total grind.

Didn't help that it was the worst back-to-back ball-striking rounds I've had in 10 years. Not the right places to do that!

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2010, 12:53:51 AM »
Folks, on July 26, 2006 I made the post below, regarding the Evans Scholars Outing at Olympia Fields that year.  I think our buddy Jordan was at the same event this year.  While I missed him, I did see Evans Scholar Jack Crisham, and a number of others.  I'm repeating that post, since basically nothing much changed, and, as I said back then, this needs publicizing:

"Pardon the OT post, but this needs publicizing.  I was an invited guest at the Western Golf Association Evans Scholars Outing and Dinner at Olympia Fields last Monday, and it was my best day ever at the club.  The WGA puts on the Western Open (soon to be BMW Championship), the Western Am, and the Western Junior Am, but mostly what they do is administer the Evans Scholars program. 

This program, started and named after Chick Evans, and administered by the WGA since 1930, gives college scholarships and housing grants to caddies, mostly from the midwest.  These are full rides, and the foundation maintains housing at something like 14 universities.  At the moment, over 800 students are enrolled in the program, at every Big Ten school, and several others around the country.  Scholars are required to maintain a certain grade point average, and this year only 4 of the more than 800 failed to maintain it.

Applicants for scholarships must be caddies for at least 2 years, maintain a high average in high school, and, most important have demonstrated signficant financial need. 

The WGA has an outing every year, where directors of the WGA, past Evans scholars, and a whole bunch of current Evans Scholars gather for meetings about the program, golf and dinner.  Olympia Fields hosts the event every other year, with Medinah and occasionally Twin Orchards hosting the other years.

The highlight was walking in to dinner with the "green coats" (directors of the WGA).  The current Evans Scholars were already seated at the long tables, grouped by university, and as the directors walked to their seats, the Scholars stood and applauded.  THREE HUNDRED AND TWENTY of them at the dinner, men and women, white, black, whatever, all being put through school through the efforts of these directors, and busting their ass.  I pretty much lost it when I saw this, and covered by going over to the Wisconsin contingent, giving them high fives and a "Go Big Red" shout out.

When the directors got to their places, the Scholars sat down, and the directors all stood and applauded the efforts of the Scholars.  The winner of the scholarship award was introduced, who is headed to Harvard Medical School. 

I cannot ever recall being so moved as by the sight of these students, and by the recognition of the efforts of the WGA down through the years (I must be getting old).  I golfed with 3 folks from St. Louis who were Evans scholars around 1971, 1979 and 1984 or so.  The bonds of these folks live forever, and I hope the WGA does too.

Jeff Goldman
That was one hellacious beaver.

JR Potts

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2010, 10:33:27 AM »
Carl:

I was not.  I couuldn't get the Sunday hall-pass.  That said, I find Butler to be 10x harder than Medinah off the tee.  Are you sure you don't have them mixed up.   :)

SL_Solow

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2010, 02:43:32 PM »
Ok, I confess, I am the old guy on this post.  I first played OFCC North in the early 70's (1970s Shiv) and walked it before.  It was always outstanding and was improved by Mark Mungeam's work prior to the Senior Open and the US Open.  I think Shivas has it about right.  Set up correctly there is plenty of difficulty for the world class player if that is your measure.  Its interesting to watch the college players each fall in the tourney hosted by my beloved Illini to get a gauge when it is not as extreme as the US Open.  At the same time, played from the correct tees, there is more than enough golf for the club player without being brutal.  For my money, the weakest hole is the 6th; somehow it doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the course.  I have always been partial to the third.  It was even more fun before the USGA compelled the club to soften the green to create more pin positions for the US Open.  It is still pretty wild but before!!!!.  I also note that the water near 18 was extended some time ago.  Not the best of changes in my opinion.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2010, 02:48:30 PM »
I also thought the second was a fantastic hole, and I don't believe it gets much credit, especially being right before the third.  Anyone else in that boat, that the second is awesome?

I think #2 is the best hole on the course, to be honest.  It's really hard to get a ball close on that green...

The bunkers are placed perfectly as from the back markers even the longest of pros would have a hard time carrying them, and for those who can't carry them, the best angle to the green is from as close to those traps as possible.

I still think fourteen takes the cake as the best hole on the course.  I mean, WOW...

SL Solow - I didn't find the third green to be particularly taxing.

SL_Solow

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2010, 02:54:01 PM »
Jordan;  Where was the pin and were you below?  But, that partially reinforces my point.  Mark was required to soften (flatten) what was a green with fascinating internal contours.  He preserved the essential character but much was lost.

Paul OConnor

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2010, 03:07:53 PM »
In my several hundred rounds on OCFF-North, the hardest holes for me to to birdie are:

18 - 496 Par 4 - I have birdied it once as a par four.  It's a par 5 from the regular tees.  Most difficult green on the course.  Beast!
3 - 461 Par 4 - 2 Birdies.  Tougher to hit this green than 14.  This hole is just unbelievably good, everything about it.
10 - 444 Par 4 - 2 Birdies.  This is, in my opinion the most underrated hole on the course.  Very tough green.  
14 - 444 Par 4 - 4 Birdies.  This hole is just so great!  I'm mostly thrilled to make pars.
2 - 471 Par 4 - 5 Birdies.  This green is slightly more accessable because you can run a shot up from 200+ yards out.
9 - 445 Par 4 - 5 Birdies.  Awkward driving hole.  Very difficult green to get close.  Lots of really hard pin positions.  

Carl Nichols

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2010, 04:48:27 PM »
The hole I've butchered every decent round I've ever had going at OFCCN (which ain't that many!  ;))  was #11.   I get so scared of shoving it through the fairway into those bunkers long, right, I wind up tug-hooking it dead left into the bunkers shorter, left, or - worse - left-to-lefting it into the trees that aren't supposed to even be in play.  Then it's been a trainwreck from there after that...

You just described my round at Medinah on Monday, except I'm lefty and I was right-to-righting it.  Not a fun place to be 30 yards right of the tree line on every hole.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back