News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian Larson

Re: Chemical-Free Courses?
« Reply #150 on: June 09, 2010, 09:16:31 PM »
Bradley,

I honestly really have no idea why you are now bringing erosion into the discussion. I don't like to generalize and throw out comments about what supers do at their properties that I have never seen, but I will this one time say that I don't think erosion control has EVER been a concern for you or your course. Ever.

Good turf is never required to create erosion control. Erosion control is established by getting ANYTHING, I repeat ANYTHING, to throw down roots into the soil. Erosion control is nothing more than roots in soil. Nothing more nothing less. Turf, plants, trees whatever. Every year Southern California has wildfires that destroy any plant life taking root into the hillsides. Then in the winter the hillsides collapse because of the rains washing them out when there is nothing in the dirt to stabilize them. The hillsides were not thick turf to begin with, and they are not thick turf afterwards. And they sure as heck aren't planted with turf and maintained with preventitive fungicide apps to stay alive. Turf and plantlife have stabilized hillsides since the earth was created without pesticides. And will continue to do so without the help of golf course superintendents saving the day with pesticides. We both know erosion control has never been on your agenda with what and how you spray your golf course. It's only no weeds, no disease and keep my job cause that's all I know. So I am not acknowledging your connection between erosion and turf quality. When I implement the erosion control program for a golf construction project I don't put the cereal rye stabilizing a 2-1 slope on a 10 day fungicide schedule.

Define preventitive? Why? You've taken the stance that you put a "basic" fungicide out every 10 days. Does that really need to be defined? You put out pesticides to PREVENT weeds and disease whether or not there is pressure or an outbreak instead of CURATIVELY putting them out when a threshold has been broken. And it's all because you and your membership doesn't want imperfections on the golf turf. And because of that your pesticide budget is 10 times higher than the guy who is first relying on his turf management to prevent then only relying on pesticides as thresholds are reached with disease and weeds.

This message was brought to you by your friends at Monsanto...

Matt Day

« Reply #151 on: June 09, 2010, 09:55:45 PM »
interesting discussion about bees, we have six bee hives on course at the moment and the honey from them is superb...must be doing something right  :)

Scott Furlong

« Reply #152 on: June 09, 2010, 10:35:46 PM »
I just punched holes on all the bentgrass surfaces.  Is it ok if I water?  It might be a little slow tomorrow but I have to water the sand in....sorry.  I just wanted to check with all the experts.

Jon, I’ll try to answer your question you asked Brad.  He probably chooses not to spray the rough because; budget restrictions, his own personal thresholds on disease pressure, he doesn’t have time, I don’t know but some of these questions are crazy.  Please read Don’s post.  It pretty much explains it all in one perfect paragraph.  You guys are correct, there is a small minority that spray way to much….there are some that don’t spray enough.  I have met a ton of Green Keepers, Superintendents, Golf Course Managers, Grass Rats, whatever they like to be called and 99% of them are stand up guys that are part of a close knit fraternity.  At times they are scrutinized like the President of the United States or a head coach.  Just read the Pinehurst thread, the guy just got the job.  The bottom line is;  turfgrass is a living, breathing, eating, crapping thing that can get a cold.  When you get sick you take something, when you get a flu shot you are preventing something (maybe you don’t sorry if you don’t).  When turfgrass gets sick at some point something has to be done or it will die.  This happens all over the world and it happens a lot in the Transition Zone. 

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #153 on: June 10, 2010, 05:11:54 AM »
Scott,

yes Dons post puts it very succinctly. His last line gets at one the points that I believe is most important. All plants and animals become ill from time to time but in most cases they recover and thrive without any medication. It is only when occassionally that turfgrass dies from a disease if it is in a comfortable environment and in such cases you might have to act before it becomes to wide spread.

This thread is about chemical free courses and how it might be possible to do it. Brad has chosen to add very little to the topic and consistantly said it is impossible. Brad used the example of pathogens in the rough to throw attention away from the fact that most fungus based diseases are water related. As any greenkeeper worth his salt knows you find these pathogens all over the course and they only become a problem when they become epidemic.

So why does he need to spray to prevent disease ruining his green which he waters but not the rough which he doesn't water?

It can't be the humidity because it will be humid in both places. Height of cut will be a factor if he cuts lower than the grasses comfort point. This must be discounted as Brad is not influenced by outside people and no decent greenkeeper stresses his sward unnecessarily all the time. It can't be too much fertiliser as though as he has already said this has been cut back.

So why does he think that if he does not spray every 10 days or so he will sustain considerable damage to his greens?

I have to say that I don't care about what Brad does at his course. My real issue with Brad is that when you say something that does not fit into his little vision of the world he belittles and attacks you with the attitude of 'I am SUPER BRAD' and I know what I think is right, if you don't agree with it you are wrong. He deliberately misinterprets what is said, ignores questions that he can not answer without contradicting himself and tries to mislead people with arguments such as pathogens in the rough knowing that many people on this site do not have the knowledge to read the situation correctly. In a situation where some thing is being put forward that is obviously wrong isn't it correct that such should be challenged?

Jon.

Todd Bell

« Reply #154 on: June 10, 2010, 09:23:41 AM »
Bradley,

You do realize that your retort sounds as if chemical and fertilizers are saving our waterways from deadly soil erosion. 

What's your opinion on organic food? 

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #155 on: June 10, 2010, 11:26:26 AM »
Jon,

Let me respond to your statements below.

“All plants and animals become ill from time to time but in most cases they recover and thrive without any medication. It is only when occasionally that turf grass dies from a disease if it is in a comfortable environment and in such cases you might have to act before it becomes to wide spread.”

I don’t know what it is like in Inverness Scotland, but in most parts of America, the disease dollar spot in particular, attacks turf when the humidity and temperatures reach a certain threshold. A big factor in the growth of this pathogen is dew formation. When the combined air and humidity readings set the turf up to be covered in a heavy dew, for many hours all through the night to late morning hours, the pathogen naturally begins to grow in that environment.

Dollar spot is generally worse on greens tees and fairways. Because we are providing a good ball roll and lie -  there are simply more leaf blades per square inch in golf course turf, thus a much heavier dew formation.

Let me emphasize that modern American green keeping practices did not provoke dollar spot. If you go back to the very earliest American green keeping periodicals you will read of a disease that they referred to as “small brown patch”. They would later distinguish this from large brown patch, and give it the name dollar spot – owing to the fact that it is about the same size as a silver dollar. This disease was prevalent on American golf courses from the very beginning. And in those days, as you might guess, they were much more organic in their approach than we are today. They did not have nearly as many synthetic compounds. And they certainly did not over-stress the turf by cutting it too short, nor were they capable of overwatering given the small irrigation systems of those days. But they had serious dollar spot problems long before chemicals.

Dollar spot is not like a cold or the flu that happens from time to time as you put it. Dollar spot is not a pathological epidemic that you quarantine at one golf course to keep it from spreading to another. Dollar spot happens every where, and every time that the environmental conditions trigger it. If you had our conditions it would happen on your golf course too.

Some superintendents spray preventatively for dollar spot, but only after they have learned from experience that they will use less chemical in a year from following a preventative schedule, than they do with a curative schedule. You are aware, are you not, that curative rates of fungicides are generally twice as high as preventative rates?

Some superintendents have learned from experience that a pre-emptive fungicide application will knock down the population of spores early in the year, so that they may go longer between spray intervals and follow more of a curative approach through the remainder of the year.

I am very fortunate that my 18th fairway develops dollar spot two days before the other areas on my golf course. So I can wait until I see it there and then spray. Then we let it go until we see it flare up again on 18 fairway. The reason why 18 fairway gets it first is because we mow that fairway last and subsequently the dew stays on there longer than any other fairway, hence more time for the disease to develop. We call 18 fairway our indicator area.

“This thread is about chemical free courses and how it might be possible to do it. Brad has chosen to add very little to the topic and consistently said it is impossible.”

This is unfair -I have given one example of a way to reduce and possibly eliminate the use of chemicals for pythium. Also I have shared my experimentation with Civitas, a mineral compound that is showing control of disease. I also have shared a way to control grubs without adversely effecting pollinators. All you have contributed to this subject are pious platitudes.

“Brad used the example of pathogens in the rough to throw attention away from the fact that most fungus based diseases are water related. As any green keeper worth his salt knows you find these pathogens all over the course and they only become a problem when they become epidemic. So why does he need to spray to prevent disease ruining his green which he waters but not the rough which he doesn't water? It can't be the humidity because it will be humid in both places. Height of cut will be a factor if he cuts lower than the grasses comfort point.”

My only reason for even bringing the rough into this argument was to demonstrate that irrigation is not the causal factor of pathogens because we find the same pathogens in the rough. I might have added that it is not as problematic in the rough as it is on greens or fairways. I mean you don’t putt in the rough. It is not as severe in the rough, probably because the dew isn't as heavy there where the grass blades are less dense?  And the rough is not the aesthetic focal point of the golf hole. So its not necessary to treat the rough.

“This must be discounted as Brad is not influenced by outside people…..”

There is an prevailing sentiment on GCA that ostensibly blames the greenkeepers, at least in part, for not standing up to the pressure to provide Augusta green. Some have even suggested that we are being bought out or bribed by agri-chemical companies. And yet, most American greenkeepers are in fact following their own agronomic regimens without outside influence or pressure. I would add that most are following a plan that is economically judicious and good for the game and the environment. I will go at it hammer and tong with anyone who wants to challenge me on that one.

“…………and no decent green keeper stresses his sward unnecessarily all the time.”

I would clarify that for good playability you have to keep the turf on the lean and dry side of its limits of tolerance. But there are diminishing returns to how far you can push that.

“It can't be too much fertiliser as though as he has already said this has been cut back. So why does he think that if he does not spray every 10 days or so he will sustain considerable damage to his greens?”

No I said that we have all cut back from the amounts of fertilizers that were being applied to golf courses in the past. That was a general statement about our profession in response to a question about cutting expenses. I was attempting to explain that many of us would be cutting in to muscle if we cut back any further than we have already. Also I did not state that I spray every 10 days. I used the phrase ten days in a rhetorical question.

“I have to say that I don't care about what Brad does at his course. My real issue with Brad is that when you say something that does not fit into his little vision of the world he belittles and attacks you with the attitude of 'I am SUPER BRAD'”

Super Brad is a nickname that the golf pro gave me here. It’s a joke. As far as attacking you goes, I think that I have responded to you in exactly the way a radical should be responded to.

“………and I know what I think is right, if you don't agree with it you are wrong. He deliberately misinterprets what is said, ignores questions that he can not answer without contradicting himself and tries to mislead people with arguments such as pathogens in the rough knowing that many people on this site do not have the knowledge to read the situation correctly.”

Jon just because something is odd compared to your experience, doesn’t mean that it is a contradiction.

“In a situation where some thing is being put forward that is obviously wrong isn't it correct that such should be challenged?”

Jon, you are basically challenging the way green keeping is being executed in my part of the world. I have no doubt that in your part of the world you are dealing with issues that we do not understand here, and so you will never hear me asking you to justify your methods. I have stated that in America we do not spray either when our conditions are like the ones that you work in every day. I don’t know what else I can say.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 04:29:59 PM by Bradley Anderson »

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #156 on: June 10, 2010, 01:50:46 PM »
Bradley,
You do realize that your retort sounds as if chemical and fertilizers are saving our waterways from deadly soil erosion.  
What's your opinion on organic food?  

Todd,
The number one pollutant is sediment.  Soil erosion is in fact the number one source of nutrients that enter water ways.

In one year a forest looses 1 ton of soil per acre. Farm and pasture land loose 2-4 tons. Farm and row crops loose 8-15 ton of soil per acre per year. Bare soil on unmanaged construction sites can loose an astonishing 80-100 tons of soil per acre per year. Prairie grass is the ultimate filter – it looses almost 0 soil. Turfgrass is relative because it depends on how well it is managed.

So you better be damned sure that you are responsible to protect turfgrass from being thinned out by various pests, environmental stress, shade, or traffic etc. Because if that turf remains thin it will loose tremendous amounts of soil into the environment through raindrop and sheet erosion.  

This is important to me because I have a river flowing through my golf course. Every year I do a nutrient and total dissolved solids test on the water entering and leaving my property. I am proud to report that our practices are not effecting the water quality. But I guarantee you that if I let the weeds take over and the turf thin out from unmitigated disease, the total dissolved solids released from my golf course would increase. Its just common sense. This is the part of the argument that no one ever brings up in defense of chemicals. Am I saying you always gotta use them all the time? Hell No. But you need to be able to use them – if needed.

Todd, please go out and find some turf areas that are all crabgrass and patchy. Then observe what happens around those areas during a storm. See for yourself how the soil is being carried into the storm drains and in to the waterways. That sediment is carrying the natural minerals and nutrients, that are in the soil, in to the waterways. The waterways are filling up, and the invasive aquatic weeds are being fed by those nutrients in the sediment.

Do fertilizers contribute to the same problem? They can if they are applied on a grow-in that has not installed silt fence, drain filters, or erosion control fabric. But on established turf that is properly cared for the soil loss is very minimal in a year.  And the nutrient loss from fertilizers is nil.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 04:16:59 PM by Bradley Anderson »

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #157 on: June 10, 2010, 03:09:52 PM »
Todd,

I'll have to think about the subject of organic food.

Our family farm has a huge garden that is all organic, and the food out of that is pretty tasty. But I am not afraid to eat food that has been raised on corporate farms that spray.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #158 on: June 10, 2010, 05:14:39 PM »
Hi Brad,

thanks for the decent reply, after your rantings in previous posts I did not know you had it in you but it is appreciated :)

Jon,

Let me respond to your statements below.

“All plants and animals become ill from time to time but in most cases they recover and thrive without any medication. It is only when occasionally that turf grass dies from a disease if it is in a comfortable environment and in such cases you might have to act before it becomes to wide spread.”

I don’t know what it is like in Inverness Scotland, but in most parts of America, the disease dollar spot in particular, attacks turf when the humidity and temperatures reach a certain threshold. A big factor in the growth of this pathogen is dew formation. When the combined air and humidity readings set the turf up to be covered in a heavy dew, for many hours all through the night to late morning hours, the pathogen naturally begins to grow in that environment.

We get the dew which occasionally can last all day but not that much humidity. In Switzerland where I was before moving to Scotland we had both through the main summer months.

Dollar spot is generally worse on greens tees and fairways. Because we are providing a good ball roll and lie -  there are simply more leaf blades per square inch in golf course turf, thus a much heavier dew formation.

maybe more leaf blades per square inch but not really more leaf area depending on the grass type

Let me emphasize that modern American green keeping practices did not provoke dollar spot. If you go back to the very earliest American green keeping periodicals you will read of a disease that they referred to as “small brown patch”. They would later distinguish this from large brown patch, and give it the name dollar spot – owing to the fact that it is about the same size as a silver dollar. This disease was prevalent on American golf courses from the very beginning. And in those days, as you might guess, they were much more organic in their approach than we are today. They did not have nearly as many synthetic compounds. And they certainly did not over-stress the turf by cutting it too short, nor were they capable of overwatering given the small irrigation systems of those days. But they had serious dollar spot problems long before chemicals.

Agreed

Dollar spot is not like a cold or the flu that happens from time to time as you put it. Dollar spot is not a pathological epidemic that you quarantine at one golf course to keep it from spreading to another. Dollar spot happens every where, and every time that the environmental conditions trigger it. If you had our conditions it would happen on your golf course too.

maybe I have worked in such conditions as you describe, you don't know.

Some superintendents spray preventatively for dollar spot, but only after they have learned from experience that they will use less chemical in a year from following a preventative schedule, than they do with a curative schedule. You are aware, are you not, that curative rates of fungicides are generally twice as high as preventative rates? higher, yes how much depends on what and for what but agreed

Some superintendents have learned from experience that a pre-emptive fungicide application will knock down the population of spores early in the year, so that they may go longer between spray intervals and follow more of a curative approach through the remainder of the year.

I am very fortunate that my 18th fairway develops dollar spot two days before the other areas on my golf course. So I can wait until I see it there and then spray. Then we let it go until we see it flare up again on 18 fairway. The reason why 18 fairway gets it first is because we mow that fairway last and subsequently the dew stays on there longer than any other fairway, hence more time for the disease to develop. We call 18 fairway our indicator area.

“This thread is about chemical free courses and how it might be possible to do it. Brad has chosen to add very little to the topic and consistently said it is impossible.”

This is unfair -I have given one example of a way to reduce and possibly eliminate the use of chemicals for pythium. Also I have shared my experimentation with Civitas, a mineral compound that is showing control of disease. I also have shared a way to control grubs without adversely effecting pollinators. All you have contributed to this subject are pious platitudes.

maybe you need to read your first responses where very little was forth coming. Even with the later responses have been weighted against the topic of this thread. It was an interesting read on Civitas

“Brad used the example of pathogens in the rough to throw attention away from the fact that most fungus based diseases are water related. As any green keeper worth his salt knows you find these pathogens all over the course and they only become a problem when they become epidemic. So why does he need to spray to prevent disease ruining his green which he waters but not the rough which he doesn't water? It can't be the humidity because it will be humid in both places. Height of cut will be a factor if he cuts lower than the grasses comfort point.”

My only reason for even bringing the rough into this argument was to demonstrate that irrigation is not the causal factor of pathogens because we find the same pathogens in the rough. As pointed out this is obvious they are found all over but you don't see many courses losing there entire rough to dollar spot. Now why is that?I might have added that it is not as problematic in the rough as it is on greens or fairways. I mean you don’t putt in the roughobvious statement but what are you getting at? I mean you don't putt on the fairway generally and yet they can have disease issues too. It is not as severe in the rough, probably because the dew isn't as heavy there where the grass blades are less dense? probably? why not look into it more indepth so you can drop the probably.  And the rough is not the aesthetic focal point of the golf hole. So its not necessary to treat the rough.

“This must be discounted as Brad is not influenced by outside people…..”

There is an prevailing sentiment on GCA that blames the greenkeepers, at least in part, for not standing up to the pressure to provide Augusta green Some have even suggested that we are being bought out or bribed by agri-chemical companiesI have not found this to be the case though maybe the odd one has said said bribery most posters here have a great deal of respect for greenkeepers. I think most people realise it is golfers expectations and standing up against the membership/club has cost more than one greenkeeper their job. You however made the comment in an earlier post that you didn't have to listen to what players said hence my comment. . And yet, most American greenkeepers are in fact following their own agronomic regimens without outside influence or pressure. I would add that most are following a plan that is economically judicious and good for the game and the environment. I will go at it hammer and tong with anyone who wants to challenge me on that one.I would be suprised if this were not the case. As I have stated in a previous reply all the American greenkeepers that I have had dealings with until our spat have been very knowledgable and well courteous

“…………and no decent green keeper stresses his sward unnecessarily all the time.”

I would clarify that for good playability you have to keep the turf on the lean and dry side of its limits of tolerance. But there are diminishing returns to how far you can push that. agreed. How far you can puh it depends especially on the amount of traffic, playing area and of course weather

“It can't be too much fertiliser as though as he has already said this has been cut back. So why does he think that if he does not spray every 10 days or so he will sustain considerable damage to his greens?”

No I said that we have all cut back from the amounts of fertilizers that were being applied to golf courses in the past. That was a general statement about our profession in response to a question about cutting expenses. I was attempting to explain that many of us would be cutting in to muscle if we cut back any further than we have already.Reread and agreed, sorry :-\

“I have to say that I don't care about what Brad does at his course. My real issue with Brad is that when you say something that does not fit into his little vision of the world he belittles and attacks you with the attitude of 'I am SUPER BRAD'”

Super Brad is a nickname that the golf pro gave me here. It’s a joke. As far as attacking you goes, I think that I have responded to you in exactly the way a radical should be responded to. Yes Brad it is a joke. You were the first to make an unprovoked, ill tempered and paranoid attack on me, not the other way around. How am I radical based on my posts up to that attack? I am sorry but you do seem to have issues on people who don't hold the same view as yourself and there is a hint of europhobia in there to.

“………and I know what I think is right, if you don't agree with it you are wrong. He deliberately misinterprets what is said, ignores questions that he can not answer without contradicting himself and tries to mislead people with arguments such as pathogens in the rough knowing that many people on this site do not have the knowledge to read the situation correctly.”

Jon just because something is odd compared to your experience, doesn’t mean that it is a contradiction I am saying this about you not disagreeing with what you say.

“In a situation where some thing is being put forward that is obviously wrong isn't it correct that such should be challenged?”

Jon, you are basically challenging the way green keeping is being executed in my part of the world no I am not and it is poor form from you trying to turn this into an us and them. . I have no doubt that in your part of the world you are dealing with issues that we do not understand here, and so you will never hear me asking you to justify your methods. I have stated that in America we do not spray either when our conditions are like the ones that you work in every day. I don’t know what else I can say.

Brad,

would removing the dew from the playing areas lessen the stress. I am not suggesting you should do this but would it?

Craig Sweet

« Reply #159 on: June 10, 2010, 05:38:26 PM »
Brad...so what if the water running through your course is testing okay...that is but a snapshot of the condition on the day you test.  A truer measure of your golf course's impact on the river would be daily testing above and below your course...for example..it is quite possible that a heavy rain a day or two after you apply ferts might result in increased nitrogen levels down stream etc. etc.

Regular sampling of the water downstream would give you a better understanding of the impacts...

We have some farms along the Clark Fork river, and several small communities with very inefficient waste treatment systems upstream from Missoula....by the time the river gets to Missoula the nutrient load is sufficient to dictate what our treatment plant has to do to return treated water back to the river.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #160 on: June 10, 2010, 07:15:20 PM »
Jon,

I remove dew every other day and it does help, but it does not completely fix the situation. If it forms around 10:00 PM and you aren't there at night, but you whip it at say 6:00 AM, you effectively reduce the time of dew formation from 12 hours to 8 hours.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 07:27:09 PM by Bradley Anderson »

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #161 on: June 10, 2010, 07:24:18 PM »
Craig,

I will definitely test after a rain that corresponds with a fertilizer. But that's not as often as you might think.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 06:03:07 PM by Bradley Anderson »

Matt Day

« Reply #162 on: June 10, 2010, 08:28:46 PM »
just to back up Brad on the dollar spot, its winter here in Perth and we have just had an outbreak of dollar spot.

No rain for the last ten days, no irrigation due to winter sprinkler bans but heavy dews and day time temperatures probably 4-5 degrees warmer than normal (22-23 Celsius), and we do knock the dew off the greens every morning

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #163 on: June 11, 2010, 04:52:38 AM »
Brad,

whipping much early than that in my neck of the woods would probably not help all that muh as the dew would form again inside a few minutes anyway. I have also used irrigation to disapate the dew which is quite effective if it fits in with the needs of the turf. I presume you are using dew reducing sprays. Are you clearing the fairways as well?

Jon

Richard Choi

« Reply #164 on: July 01, 2010, 12:38:11 PM »
I just saw this article and I thought of this thread...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2012250093_taters01m.html

This is about the first actual scientific study that I've read validates organic farming methods. Not sure if this result can be replicated on other plants than potato, but it is certainly encouraging.

Steve Curry

« Reply #165 on: December 30, 2010, 08:45:41 AM »
One potential net effect is to shove the chemicals towards another back yard.  Organic only courses stand to use more seed and sod which unless specified otherwise, will have been treated with chemicals.

Steve

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #166 on: January 03, 2011, 11:35:29 AM »
One potential net effect is to shove the chemicals towards another back yard.  Organic only courses stand to use more seed and sod which unless specified otherwise, will have been treated with chemicals.

Steve

This is a consistant point regarding the issue. I have never heard a response.

Why should they use more seed or sod?

Jon

Steve Curry

« Reply #167 on: January 03, 2011, 04:49:13 PM »
True Organic programs will suffer turf loss and the remedy will be to sod or seed the affected areas.  The only alternative is to have a large organic nusery and use stock from it.  I understand the drive to move in the organic direction, but expectations must lead the way and consequences be known and I would offer that we start with food production and lawn care.  A great deal of science revealed long ago the adage that "in general salt is more toxic and pepper carcinogenic than most pesticides" Dr. Bruce Ames, I believe.

Best,
Steve

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #168 on: January 06, 2011, 03:06:05 PM »
I asked the question because I have worked on a few courses in several countries and in this time I have never had to use either an insecticide or fungicide. In non of the cases have I had to use much sod or seed. I know that view sponsered by STeve is the standard industry line but my experience does not tally with it. I can certainly state from personal experience that his opening sentence is not correct.

Jon

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #169 on: January 06, 2011, 06:03:53 PM »
Kelly,

I have always worked on a base of minimum nutrient and water input plus regular aeration and dressing. Yes you might get some disease but no worse than if you where spraying though you might have to alter your maintenance program to accommodate it. I have found for a majority of players that they appreciate what you are trying to do if you take the time to go to them to explain what you are doing to the course and why. Most of all I am not trying to create the perfect sward from an optical point of view but rather present the course so as it is the most fun/interesting to play.

Jon

Steve Okula

« Reply #170 on: January 07, 2011, 06:53:35 AM »
Jon, yes, I am chasing you through the internet.

Your approach is no doubt servicable in some situations, say, members clubs without high expectations in cool climates. Have you worked anywhere else?

I question how well this approach would succeed, for example, in a warm-season resort area, with extreme insect and weed pressure, high customer expectations, and where you don't have time to explain your philosophy to a couple of hundred tourists every day, but you do have a general manager and marketing people breathing down your neck every minute to make it green and perfect and do it now because that's what the public expects.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 06:56:20 AM by Steve Okula »
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #171 on: January 07, 2011, 03:17:39 PM »
Jon, yes, I am chasing you through the internet.

Your approach is no doubt servicable in some situations, say, members clubs without high expectations in cool climates. Have you worked anywhere else?

I question how well this approach would succeed, for example, in a warm-season resort area, with extreme insect and weed pressure, high customer expectations, and where you don't have time to explain your philosophy to a couple of hundred tourists every day, but you do have a general manager and marketing people breathing down your neck every minute to make it green and perfect and do it now because that's what the public expects.

Steve,

Hope the New Year has been kind to you so far. As to your questions, warm season grasses are not my forte so I could not say one way or the other there nor would I like to make any comments on climates with high humidity. It is possible to produce very high standard playing conditions without chemicals so the ‘members clubs without high expectations’ jibe is off the mark. I also know that it is possible to go practically chemical free in a warm but dry climate.

Explaining the maintenance philosophy does not have to entail talking to each golfer there are many ways to communicate though if you are poor at this then having the general manager and marketing people breathing down your neck every minute is almost a certainty.
If you have lots of players then you will need sufficient playing areas for it to work. I am not saying it is the always possible, only that it is possible.
Kelly,

I am just growing in my latest course at the moment (seeded last May) and have not used any chemicals to date including fertilisers. This is without an irrigation system. I suspect I will have to use a herbicide at some point if the clover gets out of hand though.

Jon

Steve Curry

« Reply #172 on: January 08, 2011, 07:01:00 AM »
Jon,

A great deal of my post spoke to the issue of expectations and my perspective aligns with golfers with high expectations, in our climate I know of no course that is meeting this level of expectations without chemical controls or using a great deal of seed and sod.

Cheers,
Steve

Alan FitzGerald CGCS MG

« Reply #173 on: January 08, 2011, 07:50:52 AM »

I am just growing in my latest course at the moment (seeded last May) and have not used any chemicals to date including fertilisers. This is without an irrigation system. I suspect I will have to use a herbicide at some point if the clover gets out of hand though.

Jon

Jon, so where is this holy grail of turf growing?
Golf construction & maintenance are like creating a masterpiece; Da Vinci didn't paint the Mona Lisa's eyes first..... You start with the backdrop, layer on the detail and fine tune the finished product into a masterpiece

Steve Lang

« Reply #174 on: January 08, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
 8) ..in reply #8 Jon said nearly same thing, ? controlling clover, I assume in UK
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back