News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brett_Morrissy

Betting Holes - history?
« on: March 19, 2010, 07:49:05 PM »
Does anyone know the history of extra or additional traditionally known as "betting" holes.

I can only think of two off the top of my head - Cape Shanck (Mornington Peninsula - Robert Trent Jones) and Lost Farm.

I am sure there are 100's of them.
Is it an American thing? :)
 Brett
@theflatsticker

Jim Sweeney

Re: Betting Holes - history?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 08:17:22 PM »
Brett, your right, there are lots of them.  But I believe the traditonal term is the "bye" hole.

I'm sure there have been discussions here about them in the past so you might try the search function to find them.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

John Moore II

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 09:39:08 PM »
Are we talking about 19th hole types? Because Mid South and Forest Creek have extra holes built up near the clubhouse. I can't think of any other courses off hand that have extra holes. And actually, the one at Mid South was a real good hole, cool green with a large false front/run-off.

Jim Thornton

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 10:12:45 PM »
I've played 3:

Forest Creek South (nicknamed the "hog")
Kinloch
Old Sandwich

John Cornish

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 06:12:05 AM »
Does anyone know the history of extra or additional traditionally known as "betting" holes.

I can only think of two off the top of my head - Cape Shanck (Mornington Peninsula - Robert Trent Jones) and Lost Farm.

Brett - I haven't been to Barnbougle for a few years, but sitting in the clubhouse back then, I could picture a natural amphitheatre in the dune land between the restaurant and the beach that was screaming out for a green to be built. Has it eventuated?

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 06:22:30 AM »
No it hasn't John.

The area you describe was considered for use in early routings from what I recall, but it never eventuated.

Does look like it's screaming out for a hole to be laid on it doesn't it?

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 06:28:57 AM »
MM & John,
They have had recent issues with the tide and water levels coming almost up under the actual clubhouse, and have done some big work moving some fo the frontal dune (near wher you go to the Beach), imagine standing on the 16/17th tee, as you look back toward the clubhouse, that small estuary that begins the Forrester, now is much larger and heads back toward the clubhouse.

So, although, as you mention, it has always looked like a fine setting for a hole, reminiscent of the opening hole at Doonbeg, and along with the original 17th tee and in fact the entire RHS of the 18th fairway, there is just too much changing of the dunes and marram grass, to commit to a golf hole on that land.

bm
@theflatsticker

Gary Slatter

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 07:29:10 AM »
Scarboro Golf Club in Scarborough Ontario used to have one.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 07:30:41 AM »
Sebonack has one.
Be the ball

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 08:18:50 AM »
Sage Valley has three "Dormie" holes, two par 4's and a par 3.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 08:21:30 AM »
does anyone know the reason for them?

Particularly new courses - i.e. Sebonack and Lost Farm?
@theflatsticker

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 08:25:41 AM »
I have always heard it was to settle tied bets after a round or perhaps to give opponents an attempt to win some or all of a bet back afterward. 

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 08:29:45 AM »
ahh yes, thanks Mark, that is the kind of thing I assumed it was for, and if play is desinged around matches on the particular course, then an extra hole (par 3) near the clubhouse makes great sense.
@theflatsticker

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 10:03:24 AM »
I have always encountered the term "bye" used in connection with a match played over the holes remaining after the original match is closed out, with the first round of drinks as stakes.  So in that respect, it is perhaps a cousin of the "press"?

In terms of bye holes themselves, Forest Dunes in northern MI has a fun one -- a short par 3 played over water to a green with a bunker plopped in the center of the green, located within view of the clubhouse.  I have not played them, but I understand that other Weiskopf designs like Double Eagle and Yellowstone include a similar feature.

Erin Hills had one between the nines.  I believe it has become the "regular" 9th hole as part of the renovation.

And although it is not technically a "bye" or 19th hole, I have many times walked from the 18th at Kingsley over to the 9th.  The multiple tee boxes and proximity to the clubhouse make it a great place to settle a tied match.

jeffwarne

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 06:35:47 PM »

Why wouldn't they have 3? ::)

Palmetto's got three great bye holes 16,17,18
Or better yet,1-18
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 07:31:39 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 07:23:03 PM »
Shivas-  because ties are just no fun.

Ed Oden

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 07:30:37 PM »

Why wouldn't they have 3?

I don't believe the primary purpose of the 3 extra holes at Sage Valley is to settle bets, although I am sure they are also used for that.  In my experience, they are more often used as warm up holes before playing or for practice by those working on their game.

Brights Creek also has a "hog" hole.  Excluding Sage Valley, all the others I have seen have been par 3s.  Are there any par 4 or 5 betting holes?

Ed

Bart Bradley

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 07:56:47 PM »
The Olde Farm in Bristol has a short par 3 19th hole...funny but I've never played it...guess I've always lost the bet before we get there... :P.

The Virginian has 3 extra holes (two par 4s and a par 3) but they are used like Ed describes at Sage Valley.

Bart
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 07:58:25 PM by Bart Bradley »

Tim Martin

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 09:19:42 PM »

Why can't people accept the fact that a tied match is...TIED! 

Dave-Who the hell wants a tied match? Probably only the guys that just won 16,17, and 18 to get even. I have always heard these holes referred to as "emergency" holes.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 09:33:36 PM »
my understanding of the extra holes at Lost Farm is they couldn't choose the ones to leave out - so they built them anyway.

All the better for us golfers...
@theflatsticker

Gary Slatter

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010, 08:35:37 AM »
Isn't a tie like kissing your sister?
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2010, 09:19:49 AM »

Why wouldn't they have 3?

I don't believe the primary purpose of the 3 extra holes at Sage Valley is to settle bets, although I am sure they are also used for that.  In my experience, they are more often used as warm up holes before playing or for practice by those working on their game.

Brights Creek also has a "hog" hole.  Excluding Sage Valley, all the others I have seen have been par 3s.  Are there any par 4 or 5 betting holes?

Ed

Ed,

I could see these holes being used for warm-up, similar to the four hole loop at Pine Needles, but on the scorecard under the dormie holes it says something to the effect of "I always thought everyone should have a chance to get even".

Mark

Mark

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
Isn't a tie like kissing your sister?

But what if your sister is hot?  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back