News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Troy Alderson

Taking Quality GC Pictures
« on: January 16, 2010, 12:12:35 PM »
I would like to add some input to taking good quality pictures of golf courses and would like others to add their input also.  I have taken a photography class years ago, but I do not consider myself to be an expert.  Here it goes.

* make sure the sun is behind you or off to one side, do not face the sun.

* divide the picture into thirds horizontally and vertically.

* place the subject's head on the imaginary line separating the top and middle third of the picture and maybe even off to the side a little.

* for landscape photos place the horizon on the line separating the top and middle third of the picture or if the sky is the focus then place the horizon on the line separating the bottom and middle third of the picture.

The digital cameras of today give a very good quality photo, as did the old black and white film of the golden age.  This is where I think digital photography has really helped the average person take excelllent photos, as we see on this website.

Thoughts?

Troy

David Lott

Re: Taking Quality GC Pictures
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 02:53:52 PM »
Get up early--before the sun--and be there when the light comes up.

Have your shots scouted out before you arrive.

Carry a tall ladder and take your shots from as high above the ground as you can.

Repeat the process until you get right.
David Lott

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 03:03:15 PM »
If possible, try not to use automatic settings on your digital camera.

Don't be afraid to zoom out, with digital cameras, its really easy to crop and zoom back on the computer later.

C. Squier

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 03:04:46 PM »
David, that sounds a bit difficult....does your caddy carry the ladder  ;D

My advice is to buy the biggest (best) camera that you feel comfortable with walking around in your front pocket.  It takes too long to dig around in a golf bag whenever you want to take a quick picture.  A tiny point-n-shoot may be unnoticeable to carry around, but it'll take crummy pics.  I have a Canon G9, that while on the hefty side, I've gotten completely used to carrying around in a pocket and takes really nice pics.  

The best time to take a pic is when your playing partner is picking up their tee.  Bothers nobody and doesn't waste anyone's time.  

Brian Phillips

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 03:10:35 PM »
David, that sounds a bit difficult....does your caddy carry the ladder  ;D
Larry Lambrecht told me that he puts the ladder on the Golf Cart to get as high as he can.

To take high quality photos it is the lens my friends the lens that is the best investment you can make after the camera of course.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 03:13:12 PM »
"Larry Lambrecht told me that he puts the ladder on the Golf Cart to get as high as he can."

Personally I find 4 Irish Whiskies does a better job.......

Mark_F

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 03:28:27 PM »

make sure the sun is behind you

That isn't quite right.

do not face the sun.

Of course you can. It can give you some fantastic shots - it's just a little more difficult to do.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 03:33:16 PM »
Quote from: Troy Alderson on Today at 11:12:35 AM
do not face the sun.

C. Squier

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 03:38:51 PM »
Lol...Aidan, that rule may be for mere mortals. 

Do you ever take pics while playing?  If so, what camera do/would you use?  I'm guessing it's not your normal gear.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 03:41:21 PM »
Do you ever take pics while playing?

Golf is difficult enough as is, I have never taken a photograph while playing. I would also imagine it is distracting to the other members of the foursome.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 04:26:34 PM »
Ron's rules for GC photography:

1.  Get a big-arse memory card...8 gigs or larger.  Shoot everything!

2.  Shoot into the sun, with the sun behind, with the sun to the left, sun to the right (feel free to replace the word 'sun' with the words cloud, moon, lightning, rain and snow.

3.  Tilt the camera, stand on your head, shoot close up, shoot from a distance.

4.  Get two lenses...one a long distance lens and another for wide-angle, panoramic shots (I don't have the latter...might be purchasing it soon!)

5.  Use automatic or manual setting, whichever you feel more comfortable with.

I have shot many courses while playing and it is a bitch for me and the playing partners.  If you REALLY want to shoot a course properly, you can do it in 2 hours with a cart.  If you're looking for THAT shot on a small number of holes, plan out your strategy.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 04:29:06 PM »
Repeat the process until you get right.

1.  Get a big-arse memory card...8 gigs or larger.  Shoot everything!

I like google picassa afterwards for easy viewing and starring (segregating your favorites)
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

C. Squier

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 04:35:22 PM »
Do you ever take pics while playing?

Golf is difficult enough as is, I have never taken a photograph while playing. I would also imagine it is distracting to the other members of the foursome.

I think it depends what your purpose is.  I simply want to get the view from the tee, middle of fairway and anything interesting around the green....which rarely produces a picture worthy of any artistic value, but to simply remember what I saw on the course. 

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 05:01:20 PM »
My theory is to get the guy you're playing with to take the pictures and share them with you later!!

Tim Johnson

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 05:12:31 PM »
I have taken hundreds of pictures of links courses and usually lucks makes for the best shot. I took a quick shot of the 16th at Enniscrone and then teed off on 17. I didnt realize I had such a good shot until I got home and downloaded them. The best ones might be the ones you dont over think.

C. Squier

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 05:16:34 PM »
My theory is to get the guy you're playing with to take the pictures and share them with you later!!

But then you run the risk of being immortalized on the internet hitting these shots.....

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2010, 05:22:07 PM »
Just jealous of my utter creativity...

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2010, 05:32:40 PM »
utter or udder?
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Mark_F

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 05:57:14 PM »
Ron's rules for GC photography:

1.  Get a big-arse memory card...

Is that the one Serena Williams endorses?

Jeffrey Stein

Re: Taking Quality GC Pictures and posting them
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 05:15:26 AM »
I've been waiting for a topic on photography to come around.  I've got lots of great shots on google picassa and I'd like to share.  Can anyone outline the photo posting process for me?  Do I need internet software like photobucket to store my pics online?

Thanks
I love the smell of hydroseed in the morning.
www.steingolf.com

Mac Plumart

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 09:24:58 AM »
Yep...

I was told to go to Photobucket and post the IMG (?) codes but to make sure the dimensions aren't wider than 800.

FYI.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Ed Oden

Re: Taking Quality GC Pictures and posting them
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 09:47:17 AM »
I've been waiting for a topic on photography to come around.  I've got lots of great shots on google picassa and I'd like to share.  Can anyone outline the photo posting process for me?  Do I need internet software like photobucket to store my pics online?

Thanks

FYI...

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,37321.0/

I would encourage everyone to PLEASE RESIZE photos so they fit the screen without side scrolling.  Just modify the initial bracket to read [img width=800 height=535] if the original is 4x6 or [img width=800 height=535] if the original is 5x7.  You can do the math if the original is another size.  I know this adds a bit of hassle, but the resulting convenience for viewers is HUGE.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:06:19 AM by Ed Oden »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 02:42:40 PM »
Stein, Plumart, et al who want to put them up here...

It's better if you simply post a link to your account on Photobucket, Picassa, whereevuh...that way, the thread doesn't get monstrously long and the server space doesn't get used up.  I know that this is a randy suggestion, but it's what I've done with all my photos and it seems to work well.  For example:  http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f140/buffalogolfer/
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Kirk Gill

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 05:32:59 PM »
I like it when the pros take the pics for me.

and when my wife re-frames one and gives it to me for Christmas.

Thanks, Aiden.

As for myself, I love the Canon digital cameras. More expensive, and worth it, as far as personal little digitals are concerned. I'll take pics while playing, but only after getting the ok from my playing partners, and making sure that I'm not intrusive about it.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

David_Elvins

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 05:39:11 PM »
-If you take a picture with a nice looking sky, copy and paste it onto all your other photos.

-take each picture with two exposures.  copy any shadowey areas from the high exposure photograph to the low exposure photograph.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back