News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kevin Pallier

Americans should feel very fortunate to have such a quality facility on their doorstep which for mine now has four World Top100 calibre courses.
-   Old Macdonald
-   Pacific Dunes
-   Bandon Trails
-   Bandon Dunes

Put simply, Old Macdonald (OM) is “the best” Doak course I have seen and could very well be the best course built since Sand Hills.

It sits right up there with the other “template” style courses I saw in the USA by CB Macdonald (NGLA) and Seth Raynor (Fishers Island). However unlike them - you don’t need to have influential connections to see it – simply a keenness to travel to Oregon is all it takes. OM sits equally among those mentioned above in that no hole feels forced on the land though one could argue that the site at Bandon is no where as good as those in the NY region.

Listed as a tribute to the father figure of golf course design in America - CBM - the routing takes you out to the ocean then comes back inland only to take you out again before finishing back where you started the journey. The site is not blessed with enough land close to the ocean like Pacific Dunes and Bandon Dunes to have a few holes parallel to the water instead Doak and Urbina (D & U) only touch it twice with elevated greensites before taking you back down onto the flatter parts of the course.

D&U are “conventionally unconventional” with regard to the routing which has three P3’s on the F9 and only one P5 whereas the B9 has but one P3. Interestingly no more than two consecutive holes run in the same direction and I noticed the fact that all the P3’s face different points of the compass - I wonder if that was intended ?  ;D

The P3’s consist of an “Eden”, a “Short”, a “Biarritz” and a “Redan” all personal favourites of mine. I also like how D&U have put their own slant on some “template” style designs incl. their unique “Redan” and “Biarritz” but more about them later.

I will try and give a guide as to what I saw based on my two viewings of the course and taking into account notes that have been published on GCA before re: “Tom Doak’s: Hole Descriptions.”

Holes:
1st = (P4: 340yds) “Double Plateau” an interesting P4 start with a very wide fairway similar in style to the 11th at NGLA. Tom Doak is listed as saying “This is my favourite opening hole that we’ve ever built”. High praise indeed !!

View of the green

View from the green looking back at the fairway

2nd = (P3: 190yds) “Eden” P3 has a deep revetted bunker at the front right and like the 11th at TOC – over the back leaves one very difficult shot back within which to try and save par.

3rd = (P4: 335yds) “Sahara” a short P4 over a ridge. The short line to the right requires only something like a 150yrd carry but also leaves a longer shot in. The riskier left side requires one to flirt with a very large tree but one may be able to get really close to the green if they take such a line and are successful. Similar in scale to the 5th at NSW re: the ridge – hit it far enough and you get a massive runoff on a left to right camber down towards the green and the view from the plateau across the layout at OM is quite breathtaking.

Drive with ridge

View of greens and surrounds

View from behind the green

4th = (P4: 510yds) “Hogs Back” is listed as being inspired by the 17th at Lundin Links and is a long P4 in a natural valley of sorts. A definite half par hole for mine with a lovely little rise to a plateau greensite that is well protected by strong fallaways and a false front.

5th = (P3: 160yds) “Short” is obviously the shortest P3 on the course and whose precedent is the 6th at NGLA. This hole has a massive greensite that is shared with the 10th and lovely little internal zones within the green.

6th = (P5: 590yds) “Long” is a great rolling P5 that I’m led to believe will play directly into the prevailing summer wind. The “Hell Bunkers” on the approach shot dominate the view and are certainly a hazard to be avoided at all costs and are particularly well placed. The greensite is superb and other than the shot over the cross bunkers there is no need to get aerial on this hole. The precedent is of course the mercurial 14th at TOC.

Approach re: Hells Bunkers

View of green and Pacific Dunes in background

« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 07:42:16 PM by Kevin Pallier »

Kevin Pallier

Re: Golf in Bandon: USA Final Frontier Trip (Old Macdonald) New
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 08:49:45 AM »
7th = (P4: 377yds)“Ocean” does not have a precedent of sorts but is a stout hole in it’s own right with a green perched on a ridge overlooking the Pacific. This will be a difficult P4 into a prevailing breeze.

Tough approach

Vista

8th = (P3: 205yds)“Biarritz” is the only severely downhill P3 Biarritz I’ve seen ? One is faced with a massive green off the tee which is nearly as big as a football field and whose swale will test even the best putters. Precedents are listed to include Yale’s and Piping Rock’s 9th (both of which I haven’t seen)

View from the tee

The swales

View back to the tee

9th = (P4: 415yds) “Cape” is a sharp P4 dogleg to the right with a sea of bunkers on the inside replacing the normal water hazard on the dogleg. One can take the longer left side however there is a narrow green that awaits. The precedent here is the 14th at NGLA.

10th = (P4: 470yds) “Bottle” similar in style to the 8th at NGLA whereby two sets of bunkers narrow the P4 driving zone into a left or right segment. One then plays an approach shot uphill to a green perched above the fairway that is protected by a steep gully that will catch anything short. The green is massive and connects with the 5th.

11th = (P4: 460yds) “Road” I’ve now seen two copies of TOC’s “Road Hole” in NGLA and OM. Both have interesting styles though nothing beats the original for mine. The “road” and the blind angled drive “over the sheds” in this instance are replaced with an elevated drive across a sea of sand and gorse to a wide fairway. The front bunker protecting the P4 green is not as deep nor as claustrophobic feeling as that at St. Andrews.

Drive

Greenside Bunker

12th = (P3: 210yds) “Redan” Having seen a few in my time this P3 has its own very unique characteristics. The bunkers on the left aren’t so far up the green and the green is quite wide than others I am used too. A very good version indeed.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 07:46:38 PM by Kevin Pallier »

Kevin Pallier

Re: Golf in Bandon: USA Final Frontier Trip (Old Macdonald) New
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 08:50:37 AM »
13th = (P4: 305yds) “Leven” parallel with the 12th this P4’s green is almost driveable for the bigger hitters going around and the green has a strong tier in it.

14th = (P4: 360yds) “Maiden” also doesn’t have a precedent but is a great hole in its own right. A short uphill P4 with a strong right to left camber in the fairway. The green perched on the same ridge you cross on the 3rd and has a strong false front.

Approach

Green

15th = (P5: 570yds) “Westward Ho!” this long P5 plays uphill back towards the ocean on a rolling fairway. The precedent is the 18th at NGLA and the vista across Bandon is superb.

Drive

Green Vista

16th = (P4: 460yds) “Alps”  similar in style to the 3rd at NGLA in that it allows the golfer a view of the green from the right hand side. The front greenside bunker notably unlike Prestwick and NGLA’s P4’s doesn’t extend all the way across the green allowing one who takes the bold approach over the large dune a chance of bouncing a ball into the green.

Approach from the right

Approach over the large dune

17th = (P5: 580yds) “Littlestone” may very well be the best P5 I have ever seen emanate from the Doak group. In fact all the P5’s are particularly strong and this hole was reportedly similar in style to the revered P5 4th hole at the defunct Lido golf hole that was built on Long Island. The OM version allows basically two choices off the tee: one can take the riskier shorter and direct route on the right or the longer left hand approach. On the former one has to contend with a series of large bunkers and small wetlands off the drive and but is presented with a more open view of the green.

The P5 (note the second green to the right of picture)

Approach

Green looking back down the fairway

18th = (P4: 490yds) “Punchbowl” whilst I thought this greensite looked a little manufactured and slightly unnatural – the angles off the drive are important as one can feed a ball in  from the left to right slope on the green. The green has a lot of movement in it and will require a few good putts to have a good score.

Drive

Approach

D&U have done a sterling job and created a “timeless classic” that certainly will be well received and possibly become the most popular on the layout as it is IMO the most “playable” of all the designs. I came away very impressed and it’s a pity that the course is so far away as it’s one that I would dearly like to visit again sooner rather than later.

I can see this course getting a lot of traffic after it opens “officially” in June this year and hopefully some more golf enthusiasts will be converted to GCA disciples. Maybe Ran & Ben will have to allow an increase in members on GCA as a result ?

Do yourself a favour in 2010 - get a tee time and see what all the “fuss is all about”.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 07:47:50 PM by Kevin Pallier »

Mike Cirba

Re: Golf in Bandon: USA Final Frontier Trip (Old Macdonald)
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 09:15:16 AM »
Kevin,

Thanks for taking the time to share those pics with us.

OM looks to be great fun and it seems on first impression that some of the less "standard" template holes like "Littlestone" and "Ocean" may be the best ones out there!

My only disappointment is that I hoped to see something modelled after the "Valley" hole at NGLA with it's unique greensite/contours, but perhaps it's best for that stellar hole to remain one-of-a-kind.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 09:20:12 AM by Mike Cirba »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 09:16:58 AM »
Wonderful post in a series of good post on OM (still bad name). I am thrilled to know I will play this course a number of times in May and June.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 09:30:48 AM »
OM looks to be great fun and it seems on first impression that some of the less "standard" template holes like "Littlestone" and "Ocean" may be the best ones out there!

Mike

Interesting observation - that may very well be the case.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 09:46:20 AM »
Thanks Kevin.  This gives me a chance to drool over the course before my trip....only 10 months until I tee off !!  More photos please if you've got em.  :)

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 10:08:19 AM »
Kevin:

Great photographs. Thanks!

Leaving aside the "templete" theme of the course, what aspects of the course stand out? Is it the internal countours on the large greens (which BTW look amazing!) or the need to position yourself correctly for the approach shots.

Dónal.

Jim Colton

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 10:09:44 AM »
Kevin,

Thanks for posting.  Looks great and I'm willing to bet the pictures don't do it justice.

I wish you had seen that other Doak course that was under a foot of snow so we could hear your thoughts comparing the two.

It's killing me to not currently have this course on the agenda for 2010.

Emil Weber

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 10:12:56 AM »
I dont know why, but OM doesn't look nearly as appealing to me as the other courses at BD. Great tour though and keep them coming!

Paul Jones

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 11:33:13 AM »
WOW
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Rob Rigg

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 12:50:47 PM »
Kevin,

Thanks for the pics of the non-preview holes - the 10 I got to play at OM were an absolutely joy and I had more fun on this course than any of the others which is extremely high praise indeed - Doak, Urbina and team have totally killed it and created a wonderful and enjoyable journey that shines despite the lack of "ocean" holes.

Your course reviews around the US has been amazing - did you win the lottery or something? :)

Jud_T

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 01:02:09 PM »
Kevin,

Thanks! Now my appetite is really whetted to get back out there! If OM is indeed the best of the bunch then it's truly something special...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Norbert P

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 01:44:12 PM »
  If you scroll right, this bunker on the right* of 15 is very interesting.  Can anybody comment whether it'll keep the grass in its bottom.  It creates an interesting shot dilemma.

* Just in case you didn't know. If you use a mouse with a scroll wheel, you can click on the wheel over the image to move the picture right or left.

Btw, this greensite gives a terrific teaser view of Sheep Ranch.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 01:52:36 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Michael Dugger

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 01:50:49 PM »
I saw that grass down there too, Slaggy, and pondered if it's not just a temporary thing to keep sand from blowing out during grow in.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Norbert P

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 02:00:32 PM »
   I'm thinking so too, Miguel,  but thought the shot predicament and its uniqueness might be a positive.  At least, something for them to consider leaving as is.  Heck, Old Mac has a plethora of novel concepts. Why not another one?    It looks flymowable.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 02:06:38 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Sean Eidson

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 02:13:56 PM »
Kevin:

Great photographs. Thanks!

Leaving aside the "templete" theme of the course, what aspects of the course stand out? Is it the internal countours on the large greens (which BTW look amazing!) or the need to position yourself correctly for the approach shots.

Dónal.

Donal, I'll tell you from my experience on the preview round that the overwhelming size and character of the greens are like stepping off of the lunar lander - you're in another world.  I also appreciate the playability factor.  It's very difficult to lose a ball out there and the F/F conditioning of the 100% fescue turf makes it feel like you've always got a shot at recovery. 

JC Urbina

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 04:21:14 PM »
Mr Slag Bandoon,

The picture you see is an (older) version of the back of the green on # 15 it was taken just before I got back to Bandon to work on this feature in November.  The bunker had started to erode and with the help of Ken's crew we reshaped the bunker, it appears today much different then that photo shows.
 It will now be  a very quirky shot if you overshoot the green and land in this depression.  You will have the option to Putt or chip out of the swale and it blends in nicely with it's surrounds. 
I added a feature that allows for a very unconventional shot to a pin set closely to the back of the green.  Don't know if it will work but the intent is there.  I wonder how long it will take the caddies to figure if it's worth taking the chance on the shot?

We worked on a few other holes including the Cape.

Ken's crew has the Fescue looking really good.  The greens have a nice thump sound when the ball strikes the surface.  We are lucky to have the expertise of both Ken and C.J. and the entire crew they are doing the little things that the golf course needs over the winter months. Priceless

Kalen Braley

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 04:28:35 PM »
Hard to tell just from the pics, but this green looks absolutly wild.  Holy hearstopper batman!!  ;)

Tony Weiler

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
Kalen, that's not a green, it's a roller coaster.  Great pics, thanks for sharing.  Some day!!

Tom Birkert

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 05:22:33 PM »
A trip to Bandon just jumped right up my list of priorities!

Wonderful pictures and commentary, thanks for sharing.

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 06:10:35 PM »
Great pictures!

Counting down the days until my return! An amazing place to say the very least.

Ash Towe

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 06:13:12 PM »
Kevin,

Great photo tour.
Bandon must be the best golf destination in the world and OM just enhances its standing.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 06:16:02 PM »
Hard to tell just from the pics, but this green looks absolutly wild.  Holy hearstopper batman!!  ;)

The Double Biarritz? :)

That is SO totally gnarle dude!

OM is beyond epic (insert happy dance here)

Michael Moore

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 06:58:46 PM »
Is that sprinkler head in the close-up of the eighth green?

If so, is it on the green or the fairway?

We have two sprinkler heads embedded in the Riverside Municipal greens. I have never seen one hit on the fly, but I have to admit that I am curious.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back