News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Mayhugh

Re: GCA Mock Fantasy Draft II - Dream Course Edition
« Reply #550 on: January 14, 2010, 10:16:19 PM »
JC

Might might be my fav hole at Kingsley . Also a cool hole at Belvedere but "best" opening hole in all of MI ?  ;)

Talk to Mike DeVries about it if you dont believe me. ;)

The second best hole at Belvedere.  But best first hole in Michigan?  Case gets stronger if the got rid of the trees between fairways.

JC Jones

« Reply #551 on: January 14, 2010, 10:20:19 PM »
John,

While I generally agree there needs to be some significant tree removal at Belvedere, I don't think the trees on 1 are an issue.  Firstly, they dont really come into play for most and secondly, they protect people on the 3rd green from being murdered by an errant shot on the first.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #552 on: January 14, 2010, 10:32:58 PM »
Jason,
My gripe here is aestheics only.  That view from the first tee would be perfect w/o those trees lining the fairway left.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #553 on: January 14, 2010, 10:37:58 PM »
What makes the first at Beldevere so good?  It looks so plain...

JC Jones

« Reply #554 on: January 14, 2010, 10:38:21 PM »
I agree.  I think the first 4 could definitely be removed but I understand the need for the ones near and behind the 3rd green.

Regardless of the aesthetics, it is the best opening hole in Michigan. :)
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

JC Jones

« Reply #555 on: January 14, 2010, 10:51:14 PM »
What makes the first at Beldevere so good?  It looks so plain...

Jordan,

The picture does not pick up the slope off the hill on the right.  If you play left to the flat part of the fairway your approach to the green is up hill over a bunker to a false front.  If you challenge the hill to the right off the tee, you have (again up hill) approach to the green from a side hill stance.  A stance that works the ball right to left towards that bunker or worse, off the back left.

Once you get to the green, it is very quick, sloping back to front built into the side of the hill with a ridge running through the middle.  It is all around a good hole and makes you think from the first tee. 

Jim Colton

« Reply #556 on: January 14, 2010, 11:54:31 PM »
Thanks everybody for participating.  I'll have the final tables updated tomorrow.  Not motivated to sort through the mess now.

And I'm switching my 6th hole (Carnoustie) to the 6th at Old Mac.  Seeing Urbina in front of the Hell bunker did it for me.  Sorry Hogan.

Matt Bosela

« Reply #557 on: January 15, 2010, 12:39:12 AM »
Jim didn't mention it but I also swapped my 18th hole during my last pick, going from Harbour Town's finisher to Oakmont's 18th.

What a fun exercise this was!  

I've only played three of these holes and it would have been a pretty crappy list if I limited myself in that respect.  However, every course and hole listed here is one I have dreamed of playing so it's not necessarily a 'Best of' list but a true "Dream 18".

#1 St. Andrews (Old) 376 Yards Par 4 - Perhaps the most famous opener in golf
#2 Friar's Head 580 Yards Par 5 - A downhill, winding hole that plays away from the dunes.  Ran has some great pictures of it on his review.
#3 Sagebrush 416 Yards Par 4 - One of the three holes I've played and it functions as a short, driveable par four from the member tees, as the prevailing wind is behind the player.
#4 Banff Springs 200 Yards Par 3 - The aptly named "Devil's Cauldron", perhaps the most stunning par three in Canada
#5 Royal Portrush 385 Yards Par 4 - Ran's review calls it one of the world's most inspiring holes and also one of the three best bunkerless holes in the world, high praise indeed.
#6 Riviera CC 175 Yards Par 3 - The second of the holes I've played, the 6th at Riviera is notable for the bunker in the middle of the green but it's the way the green is shaped that makes the hole more than a gimmick.  Brilliantly designed.
#7 Cruden Bay 385 Yards Par 4 - Called one of the world's first great doglegs, the 7th at Cruden Bay has a great greensite perched above the fairway in between two huge dunes.
#8 Royal County Down 430 Yards Par 4 - Just a brute of a hole on the course I want to play more than any other in the world.  I had to have a hole from RCD on this list!
#9 Turnberry (Ailsa) 452 Yards Par 4 - The most stunning hole on perhaps the most photogenic course in Scotland.

#10 Augusta National 495 Yards Par 4 - Another course that had to be represented on my list and the tenth seems like it would be a blast to play over and over again.
#11 Ballyneal 200 Yards Par 3 - A tremendously beautiful-looking par three and I'm counting the days down until I get to play it for the first time!
#12 MPCC (Shore Course) 588 Yards Par 5 - Just a stunning hole that plays downhill and usually into the wind toward the ocean.
#13 Pacific Dunes 444 Yards Par 4 - Perhaps one of the most gorgeous par fours in the game, playing right along the cliffside.
#14 Jasper Park 360 Yards Par 4 - An unbelievably scenic cape hole on Canada's most photogenic golf course.
#15 Cape Breton Highlands Links 540 Yards Par 5 - One of the best par fives in Canada on our country's best golf course, it plays downhill on a crumpled fairway with the ocean in the background.
#16 Cypress Point 231 Yards Par 3 - My first draft pick, perhaps a bit of an uninspired pick but it's got to be the world's most famous par three.  I dream of the day I can try this golf shot!
#17 Royal Dornoch 405 Yards Par 4 - I'm a big fan of Lorne Rubenstein and I've read "A Season in Dornoch" countless times.  This is one of the best holes out there from what I understand.
#18 Oakmont CC 485 Yards Par 4 - The last of the three holes I've actually played.  I originally took Harbour Town's finisher but I switched it to one of the more historic finishers in the game.  Just a brute of a hole with a tremendous green complex.

I only made the one switch at the end and there were only a few holes that I missed out on - I was hoping to get the 13th at Augusta and the 3rd at Royal County Down but both went quickly.  I also was prepared to take Oakmont's 2nd hole before it was snapped up just before my pick in a later round but I'm more than happy with my backup selection there.

Very happy with the balance here -

OUTGOING NINE: Par 35 3399 Yards
INCOMING NINE: Par 36 3748 Yards
TOTAL: Par 71 7147 Yards

Thanks to Jim and everyone who participated!

Oh, and as for clubhouses - I'm going to take Redtail's (St. Thomas, Ontario) and combine that with The Hideout at Sagebrush, which will be my designated halfway house/flyfishing getaway. :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 01:10:19 PM by Matt Bosela »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #558 on: January 15, 2010, 01:13:15 AM »
I kept reading these posts thinking, Hello, Gil Hanse! Hello!

Since you all but ignored him until near the end when someone picked Rustic #13, I decided to enter the draft after all of you were done and have made the following picks!

1 4 434 Castle Stuart
2 5 550 Castle Stuart
3 4 305 Castle Stuart
4 3 191 Castle Stuart
5 4 447 Castle Stuart
6 5 560 Castle Stuart
7 4 461 Castle Stuart
8 3 218 Castle Stuart
9 4 364 Castle Stuart
10 4 405 Castle Stuart
11 3 144 Castle Stuart
12 5 528 Castle Stuart
13 4 441 Castle Stuart
14 4 386 Castle Stuart
15 4 421 Castle Stuart
16 4 335 Castle Stuart
17 3 224 Castle Stuart
18 5 595 Castle Stuart
Total 72 7009

Here are some pics of my clubhouse.

Eat your heart out Kalen Braley.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Alex Miller

« Reply #559 on: January 15, 2010, 01:44:32 AM »
That was me. I picked Rustic 13. I was picking a hole on that course regardless of which one it was going to be. Too many good ones to choose from.

I was actually happy no one picked one, I got to wait on mine.  ;) ;D

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #560 on: January 15, 2010, 05:37:04 AM »
Favorite New Yorker?  You talkin' bout the city or the state?

Jim - I'm touched lol

RonM-  you had to ask ? You mean there is stuff outside the city ??  Plus you got Talkin'bout half right so I'm thinking your out of the city .
It's " tawkin bout " ;)  I didn't drop the ball I just called time out before my two minute drill .

Pat- Good choice, fun course and different than most "links" courses in Ireland if you know what I mean. Hate to say it but worth it for the views alone .

Kyle- Great point

I was a little rushed with my pics tonight but overall I'm pretty happy. I tried to pick at least half of the courses that I have played . I did the front nine in order although I wanted to do every hole in order but guys started killing me as well as surprising me but that's my fault as I forgot what site I was on lol.  I also said to myself I would pick a course that I play often and I succeeded in doing that to. A couple of guy's hurt me with there picks but looking at my list I think there is an eb and flow and I wouldn't complain about playing them everyday.

Of the courses I picked that I have not played they include

St Andrews Beach- I have always loved the look of this course from the numerous pic's I have seen. There is just something about them that grabs my attention . I hope to get out there in 2011. Oh and by the way if you look at the website they have a few "don't tell Tom Doak" Quotes that I found funny .

Royal Adelaide- Again a famous hole and for some reason Australian golf courses have always intrigued me. When I was there in 2001 I wish I knew what I know now. I probably would have enjoyed the one's I played even more .

Valderamma- After Australia another place that I have always wanted to go. I cant remember the article but when I was in high school I remember reading about Valderrama and the other spanish greats. There was a course that is still in my head and the article stated it was hard to get to and only had a small wooden sign when you arrived . I thought it was el saler but I could be wrong but I always wanted to play Valderrama and the one whose name escapes me now.

Hirono- To me a ground ball . Who wouldn't want to check this place out . ZEN at it's finest

Diamante - I have been going to Cabo for the last five years and this course makes me want to go back with the clubs for the first time in two years.

Kauri Cliffs- Not to sound like a broken record but again look at the pics . Granted it might not be the best course in NZ but throw in the Cape along with it and how could you go wrong ? Pretty strong one two punch .

As for the rest I've been lucky enough to play them and each one holds a fond memory .

Jim

Kudo's my friend for running this entire thread and for getting people to think , moan, pound there head , imagine, curse and all in all have a good time. I know I wouldn't put up with me or have the patience to do what you did.

Brad

« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 02:10:10 PM by Brad Fleischer »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #561 on: January 15, 2010, 09:05:39 AM »
Is this still going on?  I sent in my last three holes two days ago and it still hasn't got back to my turn ...

Kalen Braley

« Reply #562 on: January 15, 2010, 10:08:15 AM »
Is this still going on?  I sent in my last three holes two days ago and it still hasn't got back to my turn ...

Its done now..

Check on the last page for your picks in the final round...

Jordan Wall

« Reply #563 on: January 15, 2010, 02:42:08 PM »
1. Seattle GC - Par 4, 424 yards  -  played this hole, and love it.  Solid par-4 and a great way to begin a round.
2. Pine Valley - Par 4, 368 yards  -  the green looks amazing, from everything I've heard of the hole I'm glad I got it!
3. Riviera - Par 4, 430 yards  -  played this hole, very good hole and a really fun green.
4. Cypress Point - Par 4, 383 yards  -  pesonal favorite at Cypress.  Love this hole, great green!
5. Cypress Point - Par 5, 493 yards  -  best bunkering I've ever seen on a par-5, and perhaps on any golf hole period.
6.Chambers bay - Par 4, 420 yards  -  very good golf hole, cool great and awesome tee shot.
7. Chicago GC - Pa 3, 207 yards  -  a redan, great looking hole.
8. Fishers Island - Par 4, 480 yards  -  really great half par hole.
9. Garden City - Par 4, 325 yards  -  looks awesome, crazy little hole
10. Riviera - Par 4, 310 yards  -  do I need to say anything?
11. Augusta National - Par 4, 490 yards  -  I wanted this hole not only because Amen Corner is very historic, but a great half par hole from all the way back.
12. Shoreaces - Par 3, 130 yards  -  cool looking shot hole, down in the ravine.
13. San Francisco GC - Par 3, 135 yards  -  seen, never played, and I just love it.  The only question I had in routing this course was two 3's in a row but they are different enough to where I didn't mind.
14. Seattle GC - Par 5, 535 yards  -  I could say lots about this hole, but I love it and it has a lot of options.  Really great hole.
15. Augusta National - Par 5, 530  -  again, do I need to say anything?
16. National Golf Links - Par 4, 410 yards  -  the ultimate punchbowl hole?  Mr. Doak recently stated it was one of his two favorite holes at National.
17. Oakmont - Par 4, 313 yards  -  great penultimate hole where I made a hole in one on Tiger Woods 2010 and sparked an epic comeback.  Oh, its a great hole in real life, too!
18. Pebble Beach - Par 5, 543 yards  -  best finishing hole in golf.

Ending with the clubhouse at Seattle GC.

Par 73, 6926 yards

Very happy with this course.  I got my personal favorite at Cypress, several holes I feel could have gone in the first round, and a relenting test with great golf holes.  Modeled after Cypress Point, the course features back to back short par-4's, par-3's, and par-5's

I also really like the way my course finishes.

I've played eight of these holes, and seen nine.  I think that's petty cool as well.

Seattle GC has one of th best clubhouses and locker rooms I have ever seen.  Mike Keiser signed the papers for the poperty at bandon in the locker room.  I wish I could show pictures, but that would be against the rules.  But for those who have been there, it's amazing and even Leary would back me up here!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:06:10 PM by Jordan Wall »

Jim Thornton

« Reply #564 on: January 15, 2010, 02:47:43 PM »
Are we still doing the clubhouse draft or has that fallen by the wayside?

Jim Colton

« Reply #565 on: January 15, 2010, 03:00:44 PM »
Sorry I've been too tied up to make any updates.  Hopefully tonight.  Don't you just hate it when work gets in the way of GCA?

Feel free to draft a clubhouse at your leisure.  I don't think we need a formal process.

Richard Choi

« Reply #566 on: January 15, 2010, 03:10:20 PM »
In that case, I will go with this one...

Jim Thornton

« Reply #567 on: January 15, 2010, 03:28:17 PM »
Since my course starts and ends with Merion East, I will select Merion as my clubhouse.

Start with a hike up the steep stairs to the best locker room in golf.

Then back downstairs to tee off 10 feet from the patio.

After the round, back upstairs for the best shower in golf.

Then back downstairs to sit on the patio and have a chilled mug of beer and a bowl of snapper soup.

Afterwards, maybe a stroll through the trophy room to look at memorabilia, such as Bobby Jones scorecard from the finals of the 1930 US Amateur that led to the Grand Slam.  As anyone who follows golf would know, the match ended on the 11th hole, with Jones winning 8 and 7.  What some people might not know is that both Jones and his opponent, Gene Homans, both made double bogey on the short, 292 yard par 4 10th hole.  When you look at the scorecard, next to the scores of 6 on the 10th hole, Jones wrote in pencil "ha, ha".  One of my favorite artifacts in all of golf.

Jim

Clubhouses don't get any better than Merion.

Jud_T

« Reply #568 on: January 15, 2010, 03:44:31 PM »
My clubhouse in pictures...Dunes Club by Larry Booth...

Great Architecture and no unnecessary frills:
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John Mayhugh

« Reply #569 on: January 15, 2010, 03:50:27 PM »
Chip got the best clubhouse I've seen (Oakmont), but I've no problem settling for NLGA's since at some point one of my first hole tee shots would probably hit it.

REALLY hard not to take Deal's, though.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #570 on: January 15, 2010, 04:21:56 PM »
I'm glad that people feel compelled by the almighty to declare that he has selected "the best ____ in golf."  Guess what?  There isn't one...anywhere.  There are no definitive greatest nor worst, anywhere.  If you're seeking the one true anything, good luck.

On the other hand, if you weren't on this forum, my days would be awfully boring.

xoxo

--Ron M.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #571 on: January 15, 2010, 04:43:17 PM »
I just found out that ANGC's clubhouse was already taken by Alex.

So I'll take this one instead.....at Sanctuary!!  ;D

Not bad!!

Gotta love the grotto that one drives thru between the 9th and 10 holes..Melyvn would absolutly love this!!  ;D

Tim Bert

« Reply #572 on: January 15, 2010, 05:13:09 PM »
My course doesn't have a clubhouse.  You arrive, you play, you play again, you play again, you go home.  I suppose if I have to check people in before the round, I'll take what they've got at Kingsley though I'd really prefer just to take one of the cabins.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #573 on: January 15, 2010, 05:16:29 PM »
Sorry Kalen, Sanctuary is not available to you. Your clubhouse was supposed to be near either your 1st or 18th hole, like mine was by both my 1st and 18th.

I just found out that ANGC's clubhouse was already taken by Alex.

So I'll take this one instead.....at Sanctuary!!  ;D

Not bad!!

Gotta love the grotto that one drives thru between the 9th and 10 holes..Melyvn would absolutly love this!!  ;D

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Alex Miller

« Reply #574 on: January 15, 2010, 06:23:27 PM »
I did suggest that Garland, and people have taken to it, but I don't know if it's actually a rule.  ::)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back