News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Re: MPCC and Mr. Huntley
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2010, 11:38:43 PM »
Please do not let Bob fool you. We played together a few weeks ago. He was more of an 80% good and 20% forgetable. He had so many good shots,  I cannot count them all. I asked him if he had a putting green in the hospital and house after about 5 holes of watching him drain putts. lol I think we were one under at the turn best ball and not more than a 4 or so over for the day.

John,

You are very kind but your memory is playing tricks, I think you were five or six over on your own ball.

We should all know that John has only recently eaten solid food, has lost over twenty pounds and stiil pounds the ball a mile. One tough Louisianan.

bob
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 11:41:44 PM by Bob_Huntley »

Jed Peters

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2010, 12:05:37 AM »

Has anyone from GCA ever taken money from Bob in a game of Wolf ?

Numerous times.

Back to back birdies when I went "pig" on 15 and 16 did he and the boys in.

Edit: That was ONE time in over 10+ rounds there with him though. :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 12:07:26 AM by Jed Peters »

Mike Benham

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2010, 12:53:22 AM »
Jed -

Which is it "numerous" or "one-time" ?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Jed Peters

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2010, 02:26:04 AM »
Jed -

Which is it "numerous" or "one-time" ?

Numerous.

(On two holes one time)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2010, 11:16:43 AM »
Win a hole or two?  Sure, numerous times.
Require Bob to reach into pocket to pay off debts at the end of a round?
Can't recall that happening more than once.
Not sure there even was that once.
 ;D

In any case it is wonderful to read the man is playing again.  You go my friend, never ever give up.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2010, 01:36:54 PM »
One of the conversation threads I most enjoyed with Bob last week was his reminiscence of a long-term relationship he enjoyed with an iconic entertainer (now deceased) who provided a continuous source of golf-course income.

I'll let him furnish the details, should he so choose.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2010, 01:58:47 PM »
Win a hole or two?  Sure, numerous times.
Require Bob to reach into pocket to pay off debts at the end of a round?
Can't recall that happening more than once.
Not sure there even was that once.
 ;D

In any case it is wonderful to read the man is playing again.  You go my friend, never ever give up.

Huck,

Unless memory fails, didn't you and I win a buck or two off the esteemed Mr. Huntley at MPCC a couple of years back? That was the round where we helped lower him down into a culvert on 17 to make an impossible recovery shot that resulted in him halving the hole. It was a battle to the end, and Bob wasn't about to take an unplayable lie.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2010, 02:23:38 PM »
That was the ONCE I was thinking of.
I just wasn't 100% sure he had to dish out at the end.  I am happy to recollect (through you) that he did so.

;D ;D

John Foley

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2010, 02:48:59 PM »

I remember one time I didn't lose to him. Bob & I were the winners and the other two had to pay us. The money didn't come out of Bob's pocket, but neither did it come out of mine.

I think there's a difference between a gamble and a calculated risk.
 --Edmund H. North

Dan - I think that was Getka & I - I know I was on the short end that day bu alot!!

I still tell the story of the time Bob hit a great shot & I did not pick him. The glare I got lasted about 9 holes!!!

Glad your feeling better Bob - Hope to see you soon,
Integrity in the moment of choice

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2010, 03:43:12 PM »
Just glad to hear that Bob is up and about enjoying his beloved MPCC...Great news

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2010, 08:14:02 PM »
From the responses thus far to my question - it seems my suspicions have been confirmed - Mr Huntley is a "smooth operator" of the highest calibre ;D

Seriously - it seems like he loves the competition and comraderie aspect of golf which may go a long way in explaining his overcomming recent battles off the course as well - hopefully I get a chance one day Bob to try and win my money back  !!!  ;)

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2010, 12:20:31 AM »
Bob that was kind. I too am most so glad to see you out and enjoying days on the course. One of Bob's best comments  of the day was "when you were recovering and could not do anthing but lay in bed did you think about golf? I answered every hour of every day. He smiled and said me too" That love and passion for golf is a wonderful bond for all of us. I will see you soon. cheers

RJ_Daley

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2010, 12:50:06 AM »
Joel, did you hear him sing that parody tune that goes... 'everybody wins some money, sometime'. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2010, 10:15:47 AM »
Just thought I would mention in this public forum how very much i enjoyed playing the incredibly beautiful Shore Course at MPCC yesterday.

There were many splendid attributes to the day...the GC is as gorgeous as an oil painting, and plays as F&F as anything I can ever recall stateside.  The weather was bluebird and shirtsleeve.....a 10% (or less) probability, according to many regulars I spoke with.

Lastly, Mr. Huntley was very gracious and informative during our time together.  Though he was only able to play about 10--12 holes off and on, owing to his recent physical setbacks, he was a great host, extremely congenial, and added greatly to the overall experience.

Thank you Bob--it was a real pleasure...and nice birdie (tee shot to 3 feet!) on #9!

Joel, interesting quote about the oil painting.  When I played it two years ago that is exactly how I felt.  I told my wife that is what like playing golf in a painting.  Every tree, bunker, fairway cut, etc. seemed to be a picture perfect setup and it was a really neat experience - I've never played another course that I felt quite that was.  And you are right about the firm and fast conditions - simply perfect!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2011, 09:31:03 PM »
Wow, just came across this photo from 2003:

Where has the time gone?

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2011, 10:40:15 PM »
Faded into the mists?

I am struck by the fact that Bob appears sans logo, a good reminder for me to tone down the festoonery.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back