News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re: Who was the genius, Bobby Jones or Mackenzie? New
« Reply #200 on: October 24, 2009, 10:25:22 AM »
Neil:

Thanks for that article by AM. Very interesting stuff on Jones and particularly the second to last paragraph when he mentions the writing of Macdonald, Behr and Hunter. Obviously, he must be referring to those significant books on architecture of the late 1920s including "Scotland's Gift Golf, "The Links" and Behr's seminal articles on architecture! It's interesting he didn't mention George Thomas and his really excellent book on architecture, "Golf Architecture in America" but I believe Mackenzie may've had some problem with Thomas or vice versa, personally, I think. I seem to recall Shackelford once mentioning it.

Those seminal architectural books and articles just mentioned may've been some of the best ever done and certainly did indicate various ideas that bespoke some very interesting changing thinking on certain aspects of architecture and golf. Less rough, less dependence on the prevalence of bunkering, greater width and a more comprehensive accommodation of the less skilled golfer in relation to the more skilled golfer (strategic architecture?) seem to have been some of them, all of which they all seemed to suggest had beneficial economic implications generally for the future of golf. Bob Jones' take on all this seemed to be right in line with the others just mentioned!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 10:36:21 AM by TEPaul »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back