News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Simon Barrington

Re: Pressing PRESTBURY GC
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2024, 02:50:51 AM »
Great updated review Sean

Pleased to see the mowing regime slightly on the LHS of the 9th altered a little from 2023, when the LH bunker was clearly in the rough. Now seems to be in the "semi" or "first cut".

Don't see the point of bunkers in rough, surely there must be a thread on here about that somewhere?

I made this nudge to one of the Board on another place in this thread:-

https://x.com/JHudGolf/status/1695708082746118320

Cheers

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2024, 03:51:58 AM »
Great updated review Sean

Pleased to see the mowing regime slightly on the LHS of the 9th altered a little from 2023, when the LH bunker was clearly in the rough. Now seems to be in the "semi" or "first cut".

Don't see the point of bunkers in rough, surely there must be a thread on here about that somewhere?

I made this nudge to one of the Board on another place in this thread:-

https://x.com/JHudGolf/status/1695708082746118320

Cheers

I agree with your point Simon. However, given the trees further up the fairway that bunker is pointless. My bigger issue with 9 and generally about Prestbury is trees. Just imagine the view from 9 tee and the halfway house with loads of trees removed. One day clubs will realize what is buried in trees.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Neil White

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2024, 04:33:51 AM »

I agree with your point Simon. However, given the trees further up the fairway that bunker is pointless. My bigger issue with 9 and generally about Prestbury is trees. Just imagine the view from 9 tee and the halfway house with loads of trees removed. One day clubs will realize what is buried in trees.

Ciao

I agree that from the high point of the tee on the 9th, the view down the length of the course and general overall feeling of space would be improved considerably by removing trees within what is already quite a compact site.  I doubt that this will likely happen though, as whilst the club had removed a large number of trees from within existing copses, several existing open areas had been planted with saplings...

Concerning the bunkers on the 9th, from the daily play tee you are forced towards the first fairway bunker on the left due to trees cutting in on the right-hand side, so much so, that the bunker feels unnecessary.  These same trees restrict your view up the fairway and of the right-hand fairway bunker. 

When we played, the members in front of us who had been playing from the daily play tees, used the back tees as these gave a much better line down what was already a difficult driving hole.

Simon Barrington

Re: Pressing PRESTBURY GC New
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2024, 05:58:27 AM »

"I agree with your point Simon. However, given the trees further up the fairway that bunker is pointless. My bigger issue with 9 and generally about Prestbury is trees. Just imagine the view from 9 tee and the halfway house with loads of trees removed. One day clubs will realize what is buried in trees.
Ciao"

You are absolutely right about the trees, and so often it is the trees & not the hazards that should be changed in such renovations/restorations/reimagining projects.

The bunker on the 9th is an original, albeit (as is common these days) that it was for the second strokes of the general player, but now having some strategic relevance for the bombers off the tee.

All the historic aerial photographs (1945, 1948, 1955 & 1965) in M&E's Historical Report 2016 clearly show the 9th fairway cut into and surrounding this hazard.

As does the background image on this page of their own website: https://www.prestburygolfclub.com/about-us---history

As does the great old B&W in your review

But most of all they show the incredibly constraining proliferation and outgrowth of trees up at the corner on the LHS (& everywhere else tbf).

Cheers!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2024, 07:37:00 AM by Simon Barrington »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back