News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Re: Get to know Mike Young (starts Thurs., 9/10)
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2009, 09:05:21 PM »
Adam,
That would be a negative, ghost rider. In the Atlanta area, Wolf Creek inspires pure love or hate more than any other course I can think of. No one straddles the fence - it's either great or terrible.
I can see that....I never understood the pure love for it...or the pure hate ;)

Mike, what do you think of Lane Creek now? It's long been a hidden gem for me, and the low-key vibe is always cool to me. I know the course has changed a good deal since opening day, but the new owner Butch Foust seems to really get how to make conditions consistent - something that plagued the course in the past. Just wanted to see how the changes over time sit with you (for the record, #3 was better back into the hillside).
Butch Foust is what I see as the future of golf....Butch was a Penn St grad in Turf Management and worked at ANGC before going with reynolds Plantation for years as director of all their courses there.  He had been a friend and came one day asking me about courses for sale....about a year later we decided to sell Lane Creek and He purchased it with some friends....he does a hell of a job with it....the changes that were made to several of the holes were done in order to allow for more lots and to allow some ingress and egress of a new road which would allow to mske the golf sale more feasible....it worked and so far has been good for them....

Chip,
I had a whole bunch of questions for you....til....I read this:

Best ACC coach: Coach K.

I would have thought my "Best all time " choice would have bothered you more....
Hey thanks for the note the other day....you should not have.... ;)
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Anthony Gray

« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2009, 09:19:21 PM »

Mike...you have been very accomodating in all theses questions. I wanted to ask some more but did not want to highjack the thread.

1 Do you think correct spelling is overrated?

2 You start your scotish trips in Berwick you stated. Have you been to Cruden Bay?

3 You are an ACC basketball and Tech fan. How many testicles does Bobby Cremins have?

4 Why doesn't John Mayhugh think I am serious?

5 What is the latest addition to your wine collection?

6 There is great wisdom in your statement about learning architecture from the caddies. What are the better places to eat...the ones with cloth napkins or paper napkins?

Thaks for being a great sport.

Anthony

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2009, 09:20:42 PM »

Best ACC coach: Coach K.[/b]
I would have thought my "Best all time " choice would have bothered you more....
Hey thanks for the note the other day....you should not have.... ;)

All time and current, I would go for Roy Williams. He has done it at two schools and when he came back to UNC, they were really down and he turned it around in a year. Have you ever heard a bad thing about RW? Any scandals? Great graduation rates at a place that will lose some players to the NBA. I know that Dean Smith fans will say otherwise, but RW would be my pick.

Mike Young,

Tech looks pretty good in that first half!

JESII

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2009, 09:22:28 PM »
Mike,

Regretably I haven't seen your work other than the pictures here but we did one better with a couple drinks...would you prefer to have worked 90 years ago to the present time?

Look me up.

Sully

Anthony Gray

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2009, 09:30:01 PM »
Mike,

Regretably I haven't seen your work other than the pictures here but we did one better with a couple drinks...would you prefer to have worked 90 years ago to the present time?

Look me up.

Sully

Sully,

Mike must be away right now so let me guess his answer. I would imangine 90 years ago because they used mules to move dirt and contour fairways. Mike told me when he was in high school they canceeled drivers education and sex education because all the mules died.

Glad to help,

Anthony

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2009, 09:35:45 PM »
All time and current, I would go for Roy Williams. He has done it at two schools and when he came back to UNC, they were really down and he turned it around in a year. Have you ever heard a bad thing about RW? Any scandals? Great graduation rates at a place that will lose some players to the NBA. I know that Dean Smith fans will say otherwise, but RW would be my pick.

ding ding ding.  graduation rates!  national championships!

there are several i would put in front of rat face.

Mike-

You are still my hero...you design golf courses for a living, in nice warm places no less, but Coach K, really?  nooooooooooo!

Chip

JESII

« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2009, 09:37:16 PM »
Tony,

I was concerned about that but he drank and traveled with a couple of pastor's...do you think it was all all a facade?

JESII

« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2009, 09:37:57 PM »
How long has Roy Williams been in the ACC?

Mike_Young

« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2009, 09:45:43 PM »
Anthony,
  1 Do you think correct spelling is overrated?
know....

2 You start your scotish trips in Berwick you stated. Have you been to Cruden Bay?
Usually...it's just an easy train ride....I have seen Cruden Bay but not played it...

3 You are an ACC basketball and Tech fan. How many testicles does Bobby Cremins have?
I have played golf with him a few times and know he is a huge golf fan....some would say he is a little wired....he has three testicles....

4 Why doesn't John Mayhugh think I am serious?
I never heard him say such....did he enjoy the movie Hangover?  I now rate serious guys by how many times they wish to see Hangover....me I've seen it 4 and would like to see it more....

5 What is the latest addition to your wine collection?
I actually have a bottle of Nickel and Nickel....it's red...cost alot and my wife likes it....

6 There is great wisdom in your statement about learning architecture from the caddies. What are the better places to eat...the ones with cloth napkins or paper napkins?
myself..I prefer paper napkins unless it is one of those rib places that give you the small hand towels.....I'm sitting here right now watching GT kick some cows and grilling ribs on my Green Egg....will probably sprinkle raisin bran on them and have them for breakfast....

OH..AND SORRY FOR AL OF MY MISSPELLINGS....I TYPE WITH TWO FINGERS AND JUST MISS STUFF..... ;)

MIKE SWEENEY,
Tech looks pretty good in that first half!
yep....and Athens can't stand it....
I also like Roy Williams as you say.....good guy....

Jim,
Hell no....I still think there is a lot of mythology regarding that period....I really want to be sure I work the next 10 years.....

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2009, 09:46:56 PM »
he started college in 1968

he started coaching at UNC in 1978

Anthony Gray

« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2009, 09:49:33 PM »

I hate it but I got to get the baby to bed. WOW this thread has 100 page potential.

Anthony

Mike_Young

« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2009, 09:49:43 PM »
Mike,

Look me up.

Sully

Sully,

Mike must be away right now so let me guess his answer. I would imangine 90 years ago because they used mules to move dirt and contour fairways. Mike told me when he was in high school they canceeled drivers education and sex education because all the mules died.

Glad to help,

Anthony

Anthony,
I never said they canceled sex education.....have you seen the movie Deliverance?  Why would we need to cancel ?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2009, 09:50:34 PM »

He started crying the day he was born.

Anthony

Mike_Young

« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2009, 09:51:57 PM »

ding ding ding.  graduation rates!  national championships!

there are several i would put in front of rat face.

Mike-

You are still my hero...you design golf courses for a living, in nice warm places no less, but Coach K, really?  nooooooooooo!

Chip

OK..I'll give you that..I thought about it but needed to make a quick decision....

Anthony Gray

« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2009, 09:52:33 PM »
Mike,

Look me up.

Sully

Sully,

Glad to help,

Anthony

Anthony,
I never said they canceled sex education.....have you seen the movie Deliverance?  Why would we need to cancel ?

For times and would like to see it a fifth.

Anthony

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2009, 09:52:39 PM »
OK, back to the issue at hand....

Mike-

How many times have you seen the Grateful Dead?

Nickel and Nickel is good stuff, you are certainly a Bo Bo (read the book)!

Can you really build a top golf course on bermuda greens?

What is your favorite course in ATL?

More to come...

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2009, 09:53:33 PM »

He started crying the day he was born.

Anthony

Dude!

JESII

« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2009, 09:55:05 PM »

Chip,

That's weaker than your justification for #4 at Merion being poor because the second shot is blind AND a long iron...

Mike_Young

« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2009, 09:56:01 PM »
Mike,

Look me up.

Sully

Sully,

Glad to help,

Anthony

Anthony,

Anthony

We actually sat on the river and watched them film it when we were big into whitewater.....and the banjo player now owns the convenience store on the corner of 441 and 76 in clayton....

Anthony Gray

« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
Mike,

Look me up.

Sully

Sully,

Glad to help,

Anthony

Anthony,

Anthony

We actually sat on the river and watched them film it when we were big into whitewater.....and the banjo player now owns the convenience store on the corner of 441 and 76 in clayton....

He is a patient at my office. He sure does have a purdy mouth now.

Dr Gray

Lou_Duran

« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2009, 10:06:31 PM »
Lou,

1) Do you consider playing ability to be a great asset in your work? I think so...not that I am any good but have done it long enough and have been in a situation were I could not breathe or take the club back....so that can make you appreciatre certain shots under pressure....Can the heart and the mind overcome a hole in one's soul?  Hey that sounds sort of gay...is this a trick.. ;D  I don't think we are meant to overcome holes in souls....I think those holes make us what we are....check this out   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppqb0t_B0KY

2) What are the advantages and disadvantages in working in places like Costa Rica and Nicaragua vs. the U.S.?
  it is much harder to get materials and permits....skilled labor must be imported and must be accustomed to the living changes...but overall is much the same except that many of the owners do not know what to expect when they open and need much help with maintenance conditions etc....
3) In marginal areas where bent and bermuda can both be used such as Atlanta and Dallas, assuming you had similar budgets to maintain both in very good playing conditions, which would you prefer using on a course you designed?  If bermuda is your preference, which strain would you use in Atlanta?
Bent is a better surface wen it is good but most of the golf season in those climates you mention takes place in bermuda weather.  I would keep bent greens feasible....if using bermuda I would go Champions...seems to have been around a little longer and most supts can live with it....

4) Relative to personal hygiene and golf course design, holding everything else equal, are the psychological factors which predispose a knowledgeable architect to a high maintenance, mostly hairless regime help or hinder his work?  Would the otherwise well-coifurred architect's work reflect similar close attention to detail, cute little design features, aesthetics, and an orientation toward nuance and mind over force?

Mike,

My question regarding the hole in one's soul was in reference to the faculties of a good architect you noted earlier:  "the heart of an artist, the mind of an engineer, and the soul of a golfer".  In today's climate, with all the environmental, zoning, and permitting regulation, the engineering expertise is an obvious necessity.  I am still unclear whether the artistry is as important as the ability to see the shots from first hand experience.  If you were to be short in one of the three, which would it be?

As to the question that apparently didn't merit a reply, I only brought it up because you seem to be particularly knowledgeable of the 21st Century  Metrosexual and his predilections.  It dawned on me while typing that perhaps those who are wired in this manner may also have some special sensitivities along the creative side of architecture, and that perhaps these are reflected in their work (e.g. closely shaved bunkers, well-defined fairway lines, precisely cut primary and secondary roughs, immaculate conditioning, etc.).  I guess I was wrong.

Next to last question: after discounting your home bias, which course is superior, ANGL or Shinny (or Sand Hills or Pacific Dunes if you haven't played Shinny) and why?

Last:  who is funnier, you or that guy who was in your employ but now appears on the Golf Channel, Charlie something or other?   

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2009, 10:08:29 PM »

Chip,

That's weaker than your justification for #4 at Merion being poor because the second shot is blind AND a long iron...

Jim

Wow, this is getting serious to reach back that far.  Yes, #4 at Merion is not that good because (like #11) requires you to hit a long iron to a totally blind landing area that is bordered by 3-4 inch rough.  I could care less if is "fair", i just think that is bad in the scheme of things as the only defense of par.  Enough said, I think Merion is great, I just wish it mowed the fairways wider and be comfortable with a few shots lower.

Back to Roy, if Roy isn't someone I would love to trade places with I would love to hear who it would be....the guy is as stand up as you get.

And more importantly, back to Mike....lets hear about his thoughts on golf in Central Amerinca....are there any "must see" properties down there with sandy beach and sand dunes waiting for new development.

Chip

Mike_Young

« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2009, 10:16:19 PM »
Chip,

How many times have you seen the Grateful Dead?
I never saw them bu tI have seen Jimi H, The Beatles, David Allen Coe, Pink floyd 3 times,lots of REM and Hootie and a bunch of others....
And playing golf tomorrow with my buddies , Sister Hazel, they have a concert in Athens tomorrow nite and get to town late tonite ....

Nickel and Nickel is good stuff, you are certainly a Bo Bo (read the book)!
Oh yea I'm a BoBo....I got some big time bobo wine Cakebread the other day....and I'm thinking about getting me some of those suede Gucci loafers with the Vibram soles....but if you really like the BOBO stuff check this website   http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/  and for your viewing comfort try these  http://www.royalhighnies.com/

Can you really build a top golf course on bermuda greens?
I think you can develop some great golf "clubs" but I don't think you can be the top of the line in golf courses on Bermuda......for Example Seminole is a great club....and a very good golf course....but that is just one opinion and it was free...you know what they say about that ;D

What is your favorite course in ATL?
Peachtree.....

Mike_Young

« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2009, 10:17:49 PM »
Mike,

Look me up.

Sully

Sully,

Glad to help,

Anthony

Anthony,

Anthony

He is a patient at my office. He sure does have a purdy mouth now.

Dr Gray

Do you guys barter for dental work?

Mike_Young

« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2009, 10:35:43 PM »
Lou,
Sorry I missed the question below:
4) Relative to personal hygiene and golf course design, holding everything else equal, are the psychological factors which predispose a knowledgeable architect to a high maintenance, mostly hairless regime help or hinder his work?  Would the otherwise well-coifurred architect's work reflect similar close attention to detail, cute little design features, aesthetics, and an orientation toward nuance and mind over force?
It definitely helps his work....attention to detail is the key ....I have seen a lot of architects that just don't understand the finer points of being well groomed and cool....the Fa Tass line of clothing that Charlie and I have now has a complete system...we have a light brown "under armor Type" brief that keeps one from chafing..(the color is called "fudge")  while on site visits and we had Gold Bond powder create a product we labeled Fa Tass Nut Powder.  together they do wonders for the well groomed architect.....

Next to last question: after discounting your home bias, which course is superior, ANGL or Shinny (or Sand Hills or Pacific Dunes if you haven't played Shinny) and why?
I have no home bias....Shinny is by far the best IMHO...they play on a natural surface where ANGC is overseeded...the land is better and IMHO the routing is better.....and a more complete test of the golfer......

Last:  who is funnier, you or that guy who was in your employ but now appears on the Golf Channel, Charlie something or other?  
Charlie and I are both very serious people who are just slightly "misunderstood"....but together we actually can become sick....he is a professional but that also forces him to be politically correct and when he screws up he has to go to "sensitivity training" in Manhattan for three days at a time....I don't....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back