News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: Get to know Mike Young (starts Thurs., 9/10)
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 12:38:52 PM »
Mike,

Which of your courses do you feel had the best piece of property for a golf course?

Why does Long Shadow seem to get discussed more than Cateechee? 

Thanks,

Mark

Mark, I don't think as many GCAers have played Cateechee.  Too bad, it is a big sprawling golf course on a huge piece of land.  Lots of fun, a great little short par 4 late in the round.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2009, 01:02:21 PM »
Mike - Do you think that Wolf Creek is a terrible golf course or just pretty bad?

:D :D :D :D

Mike Hendren

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2009, 01:09:39 PM »
Mike,

When do I get to caddie for Double-D?

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Lou_Duran

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2009, 01:16:26 PM »
I've played Cateechee and though enjoyable in different ways, it is not in the same category as LS.  The combination of large elevation changes and location of the creeks and natural drainage/naitve areas probably account for much of it.  With proper stewardship, LS has great upside at least on a regional if not national scale.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2009, 02:13:40 PM »
I've played Cateechee and though enjoyable in different ways, it is not in the same category as LS.  The combination of large elevation changes and location of the creeks and natural drainage/naitve areas probably account for much of it.  With proper stewardship, LS has great upside at least on a regional if not national scale.
Agreed Cateechee is behind Longshadow, but it's a lot of fun.

Mike_Young

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2009, 02:21:52 PM »
Anthony,

1 Boxers or Briefs?
I wear boxers with long pants but it is much safer if I wear briefs with Bermuda shorts etc....

2 Have you ever golfed with Billy Shaw?
No..but I just did a wiki on him...GT player from Natchez...right?

3 Is the Redan overused?
I don't know....the word might be...

4 Can you speak spanish?
No....

5 What do you think about the rating system?
It is a promotional method and is what it is....IMHO most of us play our core golf near our homes and play what we have.....

6 What is your favorite childhood memory?
I had lots of good memories....eating ice cream, hiding in the girls restroom at church, and skinning cats and selling them as rabbits....I did all of this with the local dentist's kid.....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Mike_Young

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2009, 02:33:22 PM »
Mark P,

Which of your courses do you feel had the best piece of property for a golf course?
I think my Hacienda Pinilla land is probably the best as to topo and scenery, Beau Pre in Natchez, Miss is next and Longshadow would be third....

Why does Long Shadow seem to get discussed more than Cateechee? 
It's all about the owner and marketing....Longshadow had more effort put towards promoting it....plus t is a better piece of land and the holes are much closer...if it had the maintenance of Cateechee you would hear more.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2009, 02:33:56 PM »
 2 Have you ever golfed with Billy Shaw?
No..but I just did a wiki on him...GT player from Natchez...right?

Yes, Only player in Canton to spend his entire career in the AFL. Thanks for the reply. I don't know why they did not pick you first.

Anthont

Mike_Young

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2009, 02:58:25 PM »
John Mayhugh,
1.  Have you been able to do things in south America that wouldn't work here due to environmental restrictions?
In many of those countries the environmental laws are much tougher than ours....so we build them about the same as here and you hope they will maintain them the same....

2.  You seem to take pride in building courses that offer a great deal of sublety and therefore lots of enjoyment for repeated play.  Do you think this means your courses will age well?  Do you think this hurts single play assessments, including rating?
I hope they age well and I feel it could hurt some ratings etc..but I just can't dwell on all of that....guys like me are not hired on ratings or marketing appeal anyway....

3.  Mike asked about the advantages of building courses with different grasses.  If you were to build a course in northern Michigan, what sort of features would you like to use that you haven't been able to do in the south?  (I know you have partially answered this already, but would like a bit more

same types of features would be used but the grasses would perform differently in the overall strategies of the course.... whispy fescues can give a look and be played in Michigan but in the south you cant find the ball....bunker surrounds can be "shaggy" yet played from where long bermuda around bunkers here for the look is almost impossible....
4.  Favorite classic and modern courses (Golfweek definition).  
Classic I would say Merion, Crystal( cooler not to say Downs), Shinny
Modern- Pine Tree in Boynton Beach, the Bandon experience as a whole, Forest Dunes, Secession

5.  Best book on golf course architecture?
I have no idea....I enjoy golf Architecture in America and I enjoy Anatomy of a Golf Course.....but the Hurdzan book from a few years back has a lot of good stuff in it also.....

6.  Biggest mistake you made when you first started designing courses?
I made a bunch....but the biggest was probably not standing up to owners when you knew what they wanted to do was not going to work...you end up getting the blame whether guilty or not....

Lou,

1) Do you consider playing ability to be a great asset in your work? I think so...not that I am any good but have done it long enough and have been in a situation were I could not breathe or take the club back....so that can make you appreciatre certain shots under pressure....Can the heart and the mind overcome a hole in one's soul?  Hey that sounds sort of gay...is this a trick.. ;D  I don't think we are meant to overcome holes in souls....I think those holes make us what we are....check this out   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppqb0t_B0KY

2) What are the advantages and disadvantages in working in places like Costa Rica and Nicaragua vs. the U.S.?
  it is much harder to get materials and permits....skilled labor must be imported and must be accustomed to the living changes...but overall is much the same except that many of the owners do not know what to expect when they open and need much help with maintenance conditions etc....
3) In marginal areas where bent and bermuda can both be used such as Atlanta and Dallas, assuming you had similar budgets to maintain both in very good playing conditions, which would you prefer using on a course you designed?  If bermuda is your preference, which strain would you use in Atlanta?
Bent is a better surface wen it is good but most of the golf season in those climates you mention takes place in bermuda weather.  I would keep bent greens feasible....if using bermuda I would go Champions...seems to have been around a little longer and most supts can live with it....

4) Relative to personal hygiene and golf course design, holding everything else equal, are the psychological factors which predispose a knowledgeable architect to a high maintenance, mostly hairless regime help or hinder his work?  Would the otherwise well-coifurred architect's work reflect similar close attention to detail, cute little design features, aesthetics, and an orientation toward nuance and mind over force?

Mike_Young

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2009, 03:10:52 PM »
Tim,
Mike - Do you think that Wolf Creek is a terrible golf course or just pretty bad?

Tim..thx for asking such a question...I don't know if there is much difference....you know sort of lke sex where they asked the guy and he said even the worst was wonderful ;D

It would to be fair or polite to the owners or the great supt they have if I were to answer your question directly but I get your point.  Let me say this...many 5 million dollar golf courses in ATL are closing..Wolf Creek is making money...those owners were tow engineers from GT and they have used got a good product going there with a very good following.  the land for the golf course was given to them by the developer and we built thsat course for around 2 million....it gets good reviews by the people in the area and the supt keeps it in good shape....it has some areas that have blind shots and hole number 8 sucks in the landing area de to wetland restricitions....the practice range is in a very low wet area and it all floods when there are very big rains.....So where I might not place it as one of my favorite AESTHETIC/STRATEGIC designs...it serves it purpose well..makes my owners money and has a lot of play..even with ATL airport flyers....
So I guess in order to answer you and not avoid such I would say "pretty bad" when compared to many others with higher budgets etc but at the same time "pretty good" when compared to bang for the buck considering all the restrictions we had to cover such as pipelines, wetlands and flood plains....Will you let me slide with that answer or do you need more....I understand your point.... ;)

Mike_Young

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2009, 03:15:49 PM »
Mike H,
When do I get to caddie for Double-D?
We may be doing something together soon.....and you will be the first to know.... ;D

Tim Bert

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2009, 04:02:13 PM »
Tim,

Tim..thx for asking such a question...I don't know if there is much difference....you know sort of lke sex where they asked the guy and he said even the worst was wonderful ;D

It would to be fair or polite to the owners or the great supt they have if I were to answer your question directly but I get your point.  Let me say this...many 5 million dollar golf courses in ATL are closing..Wolf Creek is making money...those owners were tow engineers from GT and they have used got a good product going there with a very good following.  the land for the golf course was given to them by the developer and we built thsat course for around 2 million....it gets good reviews by the people in the area and the supt keeps it in good shape....it has some areas that have blind shots and hole number 8 sucks in the landing area de to wetland restricitions....the practice range is in a very low wet area and it all floods when there are very big rains.....So where I might not place it as one of my favorite AESTHETIC/STRATEGIC designs...it serves it purpose well..makes my owners money and has a lot of play..even with ATL airport flyers....
So I guess in order to answer you and not avoid such I would say "pretty bad" when compared to many others with higher budgets etc but at the same time "pretty good" when compared to bang for the buck considering all the restrictions we had to cover such as pipelines, wetlands and flood plains....Will you let me slide with that answer or do you need more....I understand your point.... ;)

Mike - thanks for the thoughtful response.

I've never played Wolf Creek.  I was just trying to test the Ben Sims theory that Matt Ward could sniff out a Wolf Creek insult from a mile away.   ;D ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2009, 04:06:39 PM »
Tim,

Mike - thanks for the thoughtful response.

I've never played Wolf Creek.  I was just trying to test the Ben Sims theory that Matt Ward could sniff out a Wolf Creek insult from a mile away.   ;D ;D

Tim, are you talking about the Wolf Creek that Mike did at ATL, or the course out west, Wolf ??, that Matt is always going on about?

Mike_Young

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2009, 06:18:41 PM »
Tim,
I think I got suckered...I think Matt speaks of the Nevada Wolf Creek course...not mine.... ;D ;D

Tim Bert

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2009, 06:24:05 PM »
I had no idea you had a course called Wolf Creek in Georgia.

Wasn't trying to sucker you, I promise. What an unfortunate coincidence. If you want your comments removed I will be happy to delete where I have you quoted.

Is your version better than the Vegas version?  Is yours public?  Assuming the answer is yes, I feel compelled to play it and learn about the course to make up for all the confusion.

Carry on!

Mike_Young

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2009, 06:29:31 PM »
I had no idea you had a course called Wolf Creek in Georgia.

Wasn't trying to sucker you, I promise. What an unfortunate coincidence. If you want your comments removed I will be happy to delete where I have you quoted.

Is your version better than the Vegas version?  Is yours public?  Assuming the answer is yes, I feel compelled to play it and learn about the course to make up for all the confusion.

Carry on!
Tim,
Not a problem here...where do you live?  You are welcome there anytime.....Wolf Creek I did is in ATL.....it is public and I don't know how to compare it to the Vegas version....
Cheers,
Mike

John Mayhugh

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2009, 06:34:32 PM »
Mike,
1.  Is that Tim Bert a jerk or what?  Note how Matt Ward didn't fall for his ploy.  I did forget about your WC course too.  Bet it's less polarizing than the one in Mesquite.

2.  Anyone ever try to bs you on irrigation needs?

3.  Have you made many trips to GB&I?  How much inspiration do those courses give you compared to work in the US?

4.  Any holes you have built that you feel are in the "one of a kind" category?  (I know this is not easy to do)

Tim Bert

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2009, 06:35:08 PM »
Let me pile on by saying my original question must have sounded like quite the insult which wasn't the intent wince I wasn't talking about your course that I didn't realize existed (which is I suppose a different type of insult but hopefully not as bad as a direct and personal attack of one of your courses.)

Wow am I a stupid!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2009, 06:38:50 PM »

4.  Any holes you have built that you feel are in the "one of a kind" category?  (I know this is not easy to do)

Mike has a hole at Cateechee, long par 4 #10, where you play across a buried gas transmission line - and you can see it from the bump in the fairway!

Mike_Young

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2009, 07:06:01 PM »
1.  Is that Tim Bert a jerk or what?  Note how Matt Ward didn't fall for his ploy.  I did forget about your WC course too.  Bet it's less polarizing than the one in Mesquite.
I don't consider him a jerk.....I thought it was interesting that he ask the question but ..hey..if he thought some of my stuff was bad...he has that right.....no problem here....

2.  Anyone ever try to bs you on irrigation needs?
All the time but that could take pages.....

3.  Have you made many trips to GB&I?  How much inspiration do those courses give you compared to work in the US?
I have been over a bunch and usually we go with no reservations...backpack and a golf bag..take the train out of Gadwick and go to Berwick and on from there.....I have never thought about whether I am inspired or not...I am just looking at golf courses and always nosing around.....talking to caddies or anyone that will talk....and at the end of the day it just sort of all is there.....you never know what you picked up you may use later.....

4.  Any holes you have built that you feel are in the "one of a kind" category?  (I know this is not easy to do)I don't think so....of course a few marketing people could change that.....

Mike_Young

« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2009, 07:06:54 PM »
Let me pile on by saying my original question must have sounded like quite the insult which wasn't the intent wince I wasn't talking about your course that I didn't realize existed (which is I suppose a different type of insult but hopefully not as bad as a direct and personal attack of one of your courses.)

Wow am I a stupid!
All is cool here..... ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2009, 07:34:55 PM »

Wow am I a stupid!
All is cool here..... ;D

Ahh come on Mike,

You shoulda left him wriggling on the ol' hook for a bit longer.   ;D

That was sure interesting because I wondered which Wolf Creek he was referring to in his original post although I assumed he meant the one in Nevada as its been very polarizing to say the least.

Adam Russell

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2009, 08:44:25 PM »
Bet it's less polarizing than the one in Mesquite.

That would be a negative, ghost rider. In the Atlanta area, Wolf Creek inspires pure love or hate more than any other course I can think of. No one straddles the fence - it's either great or terrible.

Mike, what do you think of Lane Creek now? It's long been a hidden gem for me, and the low-key vibe is always cool to me. I know the course has changed a good deal since opening day, but the new owner Butch Foust seems to really get how to make conditions consistent - something that plagued the course in the past. Just wanted to see how the changes over time sit with you (for the record, #3 was better back into the hillside).

The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2009, 08:47:51 PM »
Mike-

I had a whole bunch of questions for you....til....I read this:

Best ACC coach: Coach K.

Chip
(UNC Alum :-)

JESII

« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2009, 08:51:11 PM »
Who would you have picked, Chip?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back