News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dale Jackson

Al Smith - Golf Architect
« on: July 12, 2009, 09:07:57 PM »
I am looking at an ad for "Al Smith - Golf Course Architect", from 1927.  He is said to be building the Maplewood Golf Club in Renton, Washington.  Anyone know anything about him?
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

J Sadowsky

Re: Al Smith - Golf Architect
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 09:14:40 PM »
He ran for President the next year.

Dale Jackson

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 11:08:44 AM »
Assuming the first response was to be humourous and not serious (as a canuck, it passes over my head), then bump.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

J Sadowsky

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 11:32:45 AM »
Yes, humorous.  Al Smith is the name of a famous governor of New York who was the first Catholic to be nominated by a major political party to run for President of the United States.  They have a dinner charity event in his honor, during Presidential campaigns the candidates generally give a speech.  The speeches tend to be humorous, it's where George Bush stated:  "This is an impressive crowd. The haves and the have-mores. Some people call you the elite. I call you my base."

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 12:03:01 PM »
Dale,

Al Smith was a Seattle-based constructor tutrned architect. He built courses for a number of Pacific Northwest architects including A.V. Macan. Most of his own designs were in the state of Washington. Among his courses are Brae Burn, Brookdale, Everett Municipal, Tam O'Shanter, Redmond and several others.

This is from C&W's The Golf Course. Hope it helps...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back