News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JSPayne

Slightly OT - Golf course GPS
« on: August 05, 2009, 04:36:32 PM »
This is probably not the golf course GPS you're thinking about.

I'm actually looking for a tech-savvy member here to possibly help me out because I'm sure, as the iPhone commercial boasts, "there's an app for that."

In considering a post from another super about tweeting pictures using his phone from on the course, I'm wondering if this technology exists.

I would find it EXTREMELY useful if I could drive around my course with my phone and be able to take pictures and/or make notes, link them to an exact GPS location on the spot, then be able to come back to the shop and upload all those links/pics/data into a sort of Google map with an overlay of my golf course. Then I could just put my mouse over all the flagged spots and formulate my plan of attack for resolving all the on-course issues while having handy pictures and reminders and specific locations close at hand to better enable my crew to find the same exact problems I did.

Trust me, over 200+ acres of property, trying to tell Jose to repair mole damage in the rough on #14 doesn't always ensure he runs off to do exactly what I hope for.

So is there an app for this?
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Wayne_Kozun

Re: Slightly OT - Golf course GPS
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 04:41:32 PM »
Nevermind the moles, just tell Jose, in your best Scottish accent, "I want you to kill all the gophers on the course!"

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 04:42:50 PM »
iPhoto has a placemarking function tied to the iPhone's GPS. It seems to be pretty accurate, for example, placing my apartment on exactly the right part of my city block.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 06:37:31 PM »
Nevermind the moles, just tell Jose, in your best Scottish accent, "I want you to kill all the gophers on the course!"

Sorry, couldn't resist.
we can do that, we dont even have to have a reason.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Ian Larson

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 06:47:25 PM »
Yeah there is an app for that like Matt said, there's probably even more than one from what I've seen. The GPS on my iPhone is pretty accurate, but not precise.

Jed Peters

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 09:10:09 PM »
This is probably not the golf course GPS you're thinking about.

I'm actually looking for a tech-savvy member here to possibly help me out because I'm sure, as the iPhone commercial boasts, "there's an app for that."

In considering a post from another super about tweeting pictures using his phone from on the course, I'm wondering if this technology exists.

I would find it EXTREMELY useful if I could drive around my course with my phone and be able to take pictures and/or make notes, link them to an exact GPS location on the spot, then be able to come back to the shop and upload all those links/pics/data into a sort of Google map with an overlay of my golf course. Then I could just put my mouse over all the flagged spots and formulate my plan of attack for resolving all the on-course issues while having handy pictures and reminders and specific locations close at hand to better enable my crew to find the same exact problems I did.

Trust me, over 200+ acres of property, trying to tell Jose to repair mole damage in the rough on #14 doesn't always ensure he runs off to do exactly what I hope for.

So is there an app for this?

take a picture with an iPhone, and if you have a Mac, in iPhoto '09, "Places" takes you right there.

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/photos/#places

JSPayne

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 09:20:55 PM »
Yeah, I don't even have an iPhone yet and that's part of the reason for the post. I'd have to switch carriers and I'm trying to figure out if it'd be worth it. If the iPhone actually had a really useful app like this, it would be worth it for me. Otherwise, alot of the stuff I would use it for is the same as what exists on other smart phones and I don't necessarily need the iPhone.

Decisions, decisions.........
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 10:22:07 PM »
Wow Jed, really?  ;D

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 10:44:54 PM »
Could you accomplish this with a SkyCaddie?  Directions could be "mole damage, #12, fifteen paces into right rough, 152 yards from the middle of the green."

Lots cheaper than an iPhone, though no photo and no digital trail.  Just thinking.

WW

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back