News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne_Freedman

Saving the Red-Legged Frog at Sharp Park
« on: March 18, 2009, 10:37:36 PM »
I am just the reporter. I take no position or opinion.
But, I'll bet you do. This is the text from a press release from earlier this evening...

San Francisco District 5 Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi has proposed legislation to direct the Recreation and Park Department to restore Sharp Park for the San Francisco garter snake and the California red-legged frog and for the City either to give Sharp Park to the Golden Gate National Recreation Area or enter into a joint management agreement.
This is a great idea which time has come!

Sharp Park Golf Course is located in a wetland that is prime habitat for federally-listed endangered species. The City must pump water out of the wetland every year in order to keep the course operational. Meanwhile, the course is a financial drain on the City. In effect, San Franciscans subsidize a sub-standard golf course for use by a small subset of residents from Pacifica.

The San Francisco Chronicle's Marisa Lagos reported yesterday that Supervisor Sean Elsbernd"quickly shot back with a competing proposal to make the historic course a protected landmark."

First, please write a letter to the editor of the Chronicle telling them that:

1. The City has a legal, moral, social and ecological responsibility to protect biodiversity and endangered species on lands that it owns.

2. Transferring Sharp Park to the GGNRA is the most logical step toward long-term sustainable conservation of this coastal ecosystem, and

3. Sharp Park should be restored for the San Francisco garter snake, the California red-legged frog, and all of the other native plants and animals that inhabit this landscape, which is surrounded on three sides by the National Park.

Then, email Supervisor Mirkarimi, and thank him for proposing this legislation. Tell him it is an absolutely great idea!

Finally, email Supervisor Elsbernd and tell him respectfully, that Sharp Park Golf Course should not be considered a historic landmark; that ecological restoration in the face of global warming and sea-level rise is a much more responsible use of the lands at Sharp Park.

For more information about the campaign to restore Sharp Park, visit restoresharppark.org. In the next few days, even more useful data and frequently asked questions will be posted there for your information. Supervisor Mirkarimi's legislation has not yet been posted, but we expect it will be soon, as his office must comply with the 30-day notice requirement.

In all of your correspondence, it would be a good idea to cc the Recreation and Park Commissionand Jared Blumenfeld, Interim General Manager. Both are located at the following address:
McLaren Lodge
501 Stanyan Street
San Francisco, CA 94117
(415) 831-2700
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 01:46:17 AM by Wayne_Freedman »

Phil_the_Author

Re: Saving the Red-Legged Frog at Sharp Park
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 10:50:46 PM »
If this happens I wonder if the ACLU would consider filing a class-action discrimination lawsuit on behalf of all the green-legged frogs in SF?

Also, doesn't this actually prove that communities with golf courses are far more valuable and desirable? After all, why don't the garter snakes, frogs and the rest simply live in the National park which surrounds the course "on three sides?"

Finally, the real bottom-line is that frogs, snakes and plants don't vote. A small, pissed-off "subset of residents from Pacifica" who have to travel much further and endure longer waits for tee times do...

Tom Dunne

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 10:58:34 PM »
I don't know the ins and outs of the politics here, but it seems to me the residents and local government of Pacifica should have a say in the matter.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 11:28:20 PM »
Isn't the entire wetland that is the basis for this is man made by Dr. Mackenzie when he built the golf course back in the 1920's?

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 05:47:58 PM »
Another important tour came to Sharp Park Golf Course on Saturday afternoon June 13.

However, unlike a PGA Tour, it came with no publicity and no fanfare, no international golfing champions, no galleries of thousands — just a group of casually attired folks from San Francisco, who referred to themselves as "PROSAC." Yes, the City of San Francisco does have a sense of humor, if not a sense of irony, even in these stressful times of deciding the fate of the Sharp Park Golf Course.

PROSAC is an acronym for Parks, Recreation and Open Space Advisory Committee.

PROSAC led by SF Park and Recreation Planning Director, Dawn Kamalanathan, SF Park and Recreation Natural Areas Manager Lisa Wayne, and its Committee Chairperson Jean McKinney, along with committee members: Nancy Wuerful, Mary Lipian, Anne Zelinsky, Frank Triska, Bill Wilson, Linda Shaffer and Bill Carlin came to Sharp Park Golf Course to not only observe the Sharp Park Golf Course land, but also to see the archery range, located in the eastern canyon of the former Honora Sharp Estate, which has been used for over fifty years as a local archery range by a volunteer organization called The San Francisco Archers. PROSAC was also given information about the former Sharp Park Rifle Range location, which, although closed now for several years, is still awaiting remediation of the "brownfields" to be done by the City of San Francisco.
Moving ahead slowly.

The San Francisco committee has been asked to report its findings back to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors. PROSAC's visit was triggered by last month's decision by the San Francisco Board of Supervisors to amend the San Francisco Park Code Article 3, by "requiring the Recreation and Park Department, no later than July 31, 2009, to develop a plan, schedule and budget for restoring Sharp Park habitat for the California red-legged frog and the San Francisco garter snake in conformance with the requirements of the Endangered Species Act and transferring Sharp Park to, or developing a joint management agreement with, the Golden Gate National Recreation Area (GGNRA), and the City of Pacifica and/or the County of San Mateo, in accordance with the deed granting Sharp Park to the City and County of San Francisco and San Francisco Administrative Code Section 23.41. No later than August 31, 2009, the department shall provide to the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors a report detailing the steps taken and the progress made to achieve the goals set forth."

It is the intention of the Ordinance that such restoration plans be based on the best scientific information available and shall include alternatives that (1) retain the 18 hole golf course or redesign the golf course into nine (9) holes or (2) eliminate the golf course entirely.

The City of Pacifica has been diligently pursuing all avenues to make sure that Sharp Park Golf Course not only remains a golf course but that it remains an 18 hole golf course.

As the San Francisco visitors walked into the rear meeting room of the Sharp Park Restaurant before the tour began, Mayor Julie Lancelle, Councilmember James Vreeland, City of Pacifica Golf Task members Barbara Arietta and Mark Duane, along with a group of very interested Sharp Park golfers headed by Juanita Mercado, and Jack Rauch, Past President of the San Francisco Archers greeted the guests.

"Thank you for coming today. I wanted to let you know that Pacifica is a very environmentally conscious community and has been for a long time. I myself served on the Open Space Task Force, the Open Space Committee and later was a board member on the Pacifica Land Trust," said Lancelle. "Over the years, Pacifica has added lands into the GGNRA, preserved and restored habitats and created trails through these areas.

Pacifica has many trails and natural areas, but we only have one golf course, and this golf course is very important to us as a source of outdoor recreation for many people of all ages, who might not otherwise hike the trails.

It is a beautiful mature golf course. Most other golf courses that are this beautiful are private. This is unique because it is a beautiful public municipal golf course that everyone can enjoy. I am happy to answer any questions and would like to say Welcome to Pacifica!"

After Lancelle's greeting, the group exited the clubhouse and proceeded to the waiting golf carts for their caravan through the Sharp Park Golf Course. A prime point for inspection of "Horsestable Pond," where the pump station is located, and the "Laguna Salada" water area, where Red-Legged Frogs lay their eggs, was from high atop the berm that acts as a seawall between the golf course and the Pacific Ocean. Lisa Wayne was the group's guide throughout the two hour and thirty minute tour. Information about the hydrology problems and subsequent annual flooding problems was a topic of concern among the visitors. Wayne assured them that the pumps had been repaired. "That doesn't mean that the golf course won't flood next year. We can't guarantee that," said Wayne. (Apparently not everything has been fixed, there appears to be a lingering drainage problem from comments made by some local folks in the tour group)

Wayne also told the group that a certain water level must be maintained, however, for the protection of the Red Legged Frog's eggs. She advised that there is a level beyond which they are not allowed to draw the water down. "We are required by law to protect the Red Legged Frog's eggs," said Wayne."If we draw the water level down too low, the eggs are left high and dry."

Wayne went on to tell the group that San Francisco is concerned about its potential liability in this situation. She said that both Fish and Wildlife and Fish and Game are involved in the solution attempts.

Councilmember Vreeland reminded Wayne that when the golf course floods, there is also a potential of flooding lower Sharp Park residential neighborhood. Wayne said that they are trying to fix the hydrology so that area doesn't flood anymore.

One of the main problems with the Laguna Salada area is the formation of tall grassy vegetation, which has literally choked off the flow of the waters. "Laguna Salada is one-third of its original size," said Wayne.

Wayne then spoke about future measures that are planned for Sharp Park Golf Course in San Francisco's Compliance Plan with federal regulations. She enumerated five of multiple measures that San Francisco is planning on taking:

1) There will be a biological monitor to walk in front of the lawn mowers where the wetlands meet the golf course lands.

2) All inorganic fertilizers will be eliminated.

3) Eliminate pesticides.

( A local member in the touring group said that it was his understanding that there has been no pesticides used at Sharp Park Golf Course for over 10 years.)

4) Install a fence and signs along the edge of the levee (berm) to limit the potential "Take" of the San Francisco Garter Snake (by either people or animals).

5) Golf carts will be limited to riding on the paths only.

The group was then driven in cars to the eastern side of Highway 1, to see the former rifle range area, which was formerly located on the old Sharp's Estate land. Councilmember Vreeland reminded both Kamalanathan and Wayne that Pacifica had submitted a very detailed plan for use of that area for potential soccer and baseball fields and other possible recreational pursuits last year to the SF Parks and Recreation Department and to date has received no definitive response as to what shall happen in that area.

The tour finished up at the SF Archery Range, also located in the eastern canyon across Highway 1. Out of the 410 acres of the former Honora Sharp's Estate, the Archery range occupies approximately 40 acres. On those lands you can find multiple forms of wildlife, including bobcats and skunks, according to Wayne. The range itself is composed of 56 targets scattered throughout 2 walk-around field ranges. The SF Archers have been in business since 1936, but utilized a location originally in San Francisco for their shooting range.

"It wasn't until 1952 that the we came down to Pacifica to build an archery range and that was because they kicked us out because they were building the UCSF hospital campus, where our original range was located in San Francisco, " said Past President Jack Rauch. It is composed of all volunteers. It is considered a "5-star" archery range that is host to many archery competitons throughout the year. On the first and third Sunday mornings it is open to the general public for lessons from nine to noon.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 08:30:30 AM »
Joel,

The irony in "After Lancelle's greeting, the group exited the clubhouse and proceeded to the waiting golf carts for their caravan through the Sharp Park Golf Course..." is beyon laughable!

They should have been made to WALK to each of those areas; after all, if the course is turned back over to the city, there won't be any more golf carts now will there?

Sean Remington (SBR)

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 09:04:07 AM »
   So if the golf course environment is bad for the red legged frog, how did they ocme to live there in numbers great enough that they can be killed by mowers and carts?

tlavin

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 10:42:58 AM »
Fruck the fog!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 10:51:25 AM »
Why do they pump the water from the wetlands?  Wouldn't they drain normally?

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 02:18:58 PM »
Why do they pump the water from the wetlands?  Wouldn't they drain normally?

From what I understand, the enviromentaists have been able to get the city and golf course to stop all draining, cleaning and trimming around the lagoons.  As a result, they are plugged.  They need to be dredged and all the years of crap that has collected on the bottom of these ponds need to be disgarded.

I know Geoff has an in depth article coming out in the next few weeks in Golf World.  Stay tuned.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 04:07:02 PM »
Here is a photo of the pond which is over grown and as a result has shrunk to about 1/2 of its original size.

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 04:38:16 PM »
I would just remind all the SF-haters out there that this is a FEDERAL law that San Francisco is obliged to comply with. ;)

Craig Sweet

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 06:11:27 PM »
Philip Young...the ACLU is concerned with one thing only...1st Amendment rights...not green legged vs. red legged frogs....imagine though...defending the Constitution of the USA!!!  Bravo ACLU!!!

Sharp Park and endangered species...well...pretty amazing, in spite of their habitat being endangered, these critters are still hanging on....keep that in mind..it is their habitat that is endangered....and just like humans, they need habitat...I would ask those that post here...where do you live?  If your habitat (neighborhood) changed you could move to another neighborhood...if it got real bad...a massive radiation leak for example, you could move out of state I suppose...what are these frogs and snakes to do?  Die? Go away forever?  Join the list of species that once inhabited earth but are no longer?  Become something your kids can read about in a book, but never see for real?

How important is one more crappy golf course?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Sean Remington (SBR)

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 06:36:09 AM »
Craig,

As I understand the situation the frogs and snakes are only there because the golf course was built.  Creation of the golf course also included the creation of massive storm water management areas so that runnoff was segregated from the tidal areas of the shore.  If a California Condor makes a nest on the roof of your house should you be forced to move out?

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 08:53:42 AM »
Craig,

Time to read up a bit on the ACLU...Their mandate is FAR MORE than simply protecting 1st Amendment rights...

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
This is part of the reason why California is going bankrupt and is taking the rest of the country with it.  Unbelievable left wing NUTS...  BTW the only good snake is a DEAD ONE!!!!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2009, 07:42:05 PM »

How important is one more crappy golf course?

Its more than one more crappy golf course.  It the only public seaside Mackenzie course from an architectural standpoint.

Furthermore, I'm told that this is one of the first frontal assaults by the enviromentalists on golf.  If they succeed, it opens the door to other courses being shut down over red tape and legal mumbo jumbo to protect the environment.

You can read their one sided point of view.

http://www.restoresharppark.org/

Craig Sweet

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2009, 09:39:14 PM »
Joel..I think the argument can be made that this is indeed a crappy golf course...and no longer the course Mackenzie designed...and really, aren't we all environmentalist?

How do you see their point of view as being anymore one sided than yours? 
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Craig Sweet

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2009, 09:45:37 PM »
Sean...I do not have the same understanding that you seem to have...regarding snakes and frogs only being there because the golf course is there....

If a condor build a nest on my roof....I would expect my life to be changed...for a while at least.

I live in an area where grizzly bears, bull trout and wolves have lived for centuries...and as their numbers have declined we made adjustments...and as their numbers have increased we are making adjustments...after all...they are the essence of Montana.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Richard Choi

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2009, 12:50:07 AM »
Philip, as a proud supporter of ACLU, I find your ACLU musings quite entertaining.

You seem to think that ACLU will jump in for any liberal cause and you could not be more wrong.

ACLU exists to defend the Constitution. Unfortunately for the frogs and snakes, there is no guaranteed rights for them in the Constitution, so ACLU would never come to their defense. ACLU COULD get involved if the city was denying some citizen from petitioning for red frog protection, or other scnearios where a citizen's rights are being ignored, but I have yet to see ACLU get involved with an environmental cases like this.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2009, 09:50:57 AM »
In some ways this reminds me of what has happened here in Montana at some of our "mountain resort" courses....

Elk can do some incredible damage to greens and fairways from walking/pissing/sleeping on them, and they are often depicted as being a nuisance.....needless to say, the land that is now a golf course was for centuries summer/winter range for the elk and they are not about to change evolutionary habits because some rich white guy wants to whack a ball around in the woods....
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Sean Remington (SBR)

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2009, 10:07:15 AM »
Craig  -  As  I understand it the creation of the golf course led to the evolution of an envrionmental niche that has allowed the RL frog and smakes to take up residence.  This brings me back to my original point that somehow or another the frogs and smakes are doing well enough in their current situation that they are in risk of getting run over by mowers.  Read the list of recommendations from the PROSAC group:

1) There will be a biological monitor to walk in front of the lawn mowers where the wetlands meet the golf course lands.

2) All inorganic fertilizers will be eliminated.

3) Eliminate pesticides.

( A local member in the touring group said that it was his understanding that there has been no pesticides used at Sharp Park Golf Course for over 10 years.)

4) Install a fence and signs along the edge of the levee (berm) to limit the potential "Take" of the San Francisco Garter Snake (by either people or animals).

5) Golf carts will be limited to riding on the paths only.

Reading this list leads me to believe that there is a bunch of these critters running around the place. And somehow they have managed to grow in numbers even if the golf course used sythetic fertilizer and there were no limits on mowers or golf carts.  And am I reading #4 correctly?  Are they really expecting that the posting of signs will limit natural predation, "Take", by animals?  Maybe they will get additional "Stimulus" money to teach the natural predators of the San Francisco Garter Snake to READ.  Gotta love how these people think.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2009, 01:59:27 PM »
Sean..my reading  is the pumping of water by those managing the golf course (and, I bet, the drought) has led to wetland habitat drying up...never the less...it sounds as if Sharp Park is no longer in a "natural" state so a golf course can be there...levee's have been built, excess water removed, etc. etc...and in this "habitat" exist the red legged frog and the snake...so regardless of what came first, the course or the critters, they are their now...

Personally, from what I have read, the course is not that great, it is has been altered to the point that it no longer resembles the architect's original design, it's losing money, it has two Federal Endangered species living there, and there is a strong desire to return it to what it was before it was drained and dredged for golf....evolution baby.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Norbert P

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2009, 02:15:40 PM »

Craig, I have my suspicions of who wants this course to fail . . . developers.  I don't think they'll re-establish the land for the frogs' and snakes' sake.  If an area is re-preserved (?), the rest will undoubtedly be gobbled up by less-than-noble interests.

In my eyes, there is a golf course there.  It has critters LIVING there. If the course wasn't there and houses were, would the critters be there? They have survived there throughout the history of the course.  With a thoughtful plan, I think we can have both.

Losing money?  Most every city park loses money but the will of the people realize that spending for parks is a virtual necessity for municipal variety and livability.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Carl Nichols

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2009, 09:07:30 PM »
If I lived in SF or Pacifica, I'd be happy that they're spending time on this, and thus have less time to screw up other things that matter more.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back