News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wesley Harden

Re: David Duval, Dead Last
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2009, 09:49:51 PM »
DD is definitely entertaining to follow.  He keeps me interested in the Thursday/Friday rounds of the tournaments he plays in.  This is his last year of full exemption though.  He needs to make something happen.  Making a few cuts already is a good start, but he needs a strong top 10 finish. 

I'm surprised he didn't play the tournament opposing the WGC matchplay, and is also not scheduled to play opposing Doral.  Seems like those would be good opportunities to try to make some cash toward getting in the top 125. 

Philippe Binette

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2009, 10:14:18 AM »
when you play Even Par and the cut is a -1, then you don't play the weekend... money for the week  0$

You have to take out the majors, you will finish in the top 3 at the US OPEN by playing even par.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2009, 10:36:41 AM »
Baker-Finch may well have lost the ability to play well on tour, but as recently as last year he was saying he was playing off +6 at his club in Florida. So he can still play.

I once watched him hit a slice off the 1st at Terrey Hills in Sydney that cleared the carpark and came to rest on the 13th fairway. He went and found it, bombed it back over the driveway, hit an iron on and calmly two putted for par ;D

Baker-Finch is on GHIN.  His current handicap is +4.6 which just shows how good the touring pros are and how crap we are.  I'd take Duval giving a shot a hole against just about anybody on this site on a US Open set-up course (stroke play only, I'm not that stupid....)

John Moore II

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2009, 02:16:21 PM »
when you play Even Par and the cut is a -1, then you don't play the weekend... money for the week  0$

You have to take out the majors, you will finish in the top 3 at the US OPEN by playing even par.

In my number, I did take out the majors, the WGC events and all the invitational events. If I recall, there were at least 3 and maybe 4 events where par makes the cut and cashes a check for $100,000+. The Honda from last year was one, the PODS from Innisbrook was another. And, while I didn't figure this in, the amount you had made to that point may have qualified you for the Masters and TPC, but I did not put that in the count.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2009, 03:43:05 PM »
Par golf knocking down $600K is a good life....I remember a few years back one of the tennis greats saying the big money purses and the appearance fees had made a lot of players "soft"....they show up in some exotic locale, hang with the beautiful crowd, go out in the 2nd or 3rd round, yet still pocket some cash, and earn half a million for never finishing a tournament higher than 25th...and unlike golf, I don't believe you can lose your "tour card" for poor performance.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2009, 04:19:20 PM »
I spent a long time talking to David at Birkdale last year.
I had some golfing issues that he was interested in talking about and we had a real heart to heart, looking into eachothers twisted minds and how they are affected by this wonderful game.

He was both very helpful and respectful of the issues I was/am confronting and was very open to offer his own dilemmas...it was fascinating to listen to the man talking so openly and honestly.
I have tremendous respect for the man and will always appreciate his time , effort and non judgemnetal approach in commenting on my own issues...way more so than many of my so called "friends" had been ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2009, 04:28:33 PM »
I read somewhere that David has had some severe bouts of vertigo.

I have had some severe bouts of vertigo, and my balance is worse than anyone in any pilates or yoga class I ever took. Clearly this is why I don't get any good at golf. Obviously David has the same problem.

;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

George Pazin

« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2009, 04:29:59 PM »

In my number, I did take out the majors, the WGC events and all the invitational events. If I recall, there were at least 3 and maybe 4 events where par makes the cut and cashes a check for $100,000+. The Honda from last year was one, the PODS from Innisbrook was another. And, while I didn't figure this in, the amount you had made to that point may have qualified you for the Masters and TPC, but I did not put that in the count.

The problem is, you never get on Tour in the first place if you just shoot par all the time. Golf is a streaky game - you better go low when you can or you will likely never get the chance to just hang with old man par.

MWP, thanks for sharing. Must be really fun to talk golf with someone who has been to the pinnacle.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Moore II

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2009, 05:03:12 PM »

The problem is, you never get on Tour in the first place if you just shoot par all the time. Golf is a streaky game - you better go low when you can or you will likely never get the chance to just hang with old man par.

And I think that is 100% true. But I was working with the assumption that you shot well enough in Q-school to get on the tour in the first place. I think a 'par-player' is a good benchmark though. That can take into consideration playing good some weeks and playing bad some weeks. I mean, par golf on a course/courses where the cut is -3 or -4 (or in the case of a tournament like the Hope -16 or something real low) is playing bad. But par golf at a tournament like the Honda, where the cut was +5, -6 won the tournament and even par finished T-15, is a real good week for a tour 'rookie.' And the rookie player was the assumption I was using.

Certainly if Tiger or Phil shot par golf every round in the tournaments they play, they'd probably make the top 30 on the money list.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2009, 08:35:21 PM »
Par golf will not get you to the Tour... that demonstration was just showing how one shot a round can change the world.

To Craig Sweet
Making 600 k on tour is good money, but never forget 4000 $ a week of expenses X 30 weeks...
plus coaching
plus training time off tour
plus taxes

divided by the amount of work put in per year...

hell, you end up working for 40 $ an hour

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2009, 09:12:55 AM »
Philippe is right.  Here's a story in support of PB's arguement.

Years ago when Fred Funk was coaching Univ of MD's golf team he had a walk-on freshman (don't remember the name) that ended up scoring in the top notches of the ACC.  This guy was a complete unknown.

After this kid starting making a splash in college tournaments Funk was interviewed by a local TV station.  Funk was asked,

"What do you say to someone who, out of the blue, walks up to you and asks to play on the MD golf team?"

Funk said,

"I ask him how many rounds in the 60s he has had in the last month!"

That usually ends any further discussion.

JC

Craig Sweet

« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2009, 09:26:21 AM »
The point isn't whether par golf will get you on the tour...the point was...if you are on the tour, and you shoot par golf in every tournament, how much would you earn....
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Craig Sweet

« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2009, 09:44:11 AM »
I just did a quick check...if you were the golfer that finished at even par in every tournament so far this year, you would have earnings of $179,699....and two or three missed cuts...
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2009, 01:25:58 PM »
Redemption.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

George Pazin

« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2009, 01:31:45 PM »
Thanks, Mike, I was kinda hoping someone would resurrect a thread to show up the naysayers. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

David_Tepper

« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2009, 01:36:46 PM »
Michael Hendren -

Since I was the guy who started this thread, thank you for digging it up and hats off the David Duval for his fine performance.

I did not start this thread to denigrate Duval, merely to observe how badly he was struggling. It was nice to see him resurrect his game.
Let's hope he can continue to play at this level for years to come.

DT

John Moore II

« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2009, 02:07:21 PM »
I'm glad Duval finished well this week, I hope he can continue finishing at the top of the page like this. That would be very good to see.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2009, 02:52:29 PM »
He just got himself an auto-invite to The Masters and next year's US Open.

John Moore II

« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2009, 03:01:36 PM »
He just got himself an auto-invite to The Masters and next year's US Open.

And this year's PGA Championship.

PThomas

« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2009, 03:06:33 PM »
amazing, never thought he could do it again
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Trey Stiles

« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2009, 03:15:37 PM »
What a GREAT story ... I really appreciate the road DD has travelled ... After winning the world's biggest event he asks the question " Is that what it's all about ? " ... Asking life's biggest questions can lead down a difficult and challenging road. I don't know what DD came up with , but I'm blown away by a guy who keeps digging , keeps struggling , and makes it back to the top level.

What a gutsy performance today , starts out with triple , goes on to make 5 birdies.

DD , Your an inspiration ... I'm going to go practice now.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2009, 03:18:46 PM »
Six years ago, my two buddies made a $1,000 bet about Duval.  The bet was based on Duval winning another "official regular-season pga tour sanctioned event" by the age of 50.  No silly-season and no nationwide tour wins.  If he wins another event by the age of 50, one is paid the grand, and if he doesn't win by 50, the other is paid the grand.

Well....i was just watching with the buddy that thinks he will win.  When Duval lipped out on 17, he took his lunch and threw it across the room!  It was pretty funny, but it looks like he might get that grand soon enough.
 ;)

Anthony Gray

« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2009, 03:38:23 PM »
Some of you know that charlie (Rymer) played at GT with David and is a good friend.....Puggy (His college coach and present coach) tells charlie he is close and should get back....I think he will....
And I heard he was looking for some Tenn redneck caddy....I think he was going to call him Puff....(rhymes with Fluff ;D ;D)   

:o

Mike_Young

« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2009, 05:49:02 PM »
Some of you know that charlie (Rymer) played at GT with David and is a good friend.....Puggy (His college coach and present coach) tells charlie he is close and should get back....I think he will....
And I heard he was looking for some Tenn redneck caddy....I think he was going to call him Puff....(rhymes with Fluff ;D ;D)   

:o

Anthony,
My boy almost didn't he?  Just keep watching.......
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Mike Hendren

« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2009, 06:06:18 PM »
Mike,

I assume this is really bad news for my prospective caddy gig.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back