News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

David Duval, Dead Last
« on: March 06, 2009, 10:05:48 PM »
David Duval shot 82+75=157 in the first 2 rounds of the Honda Classic, to finish 141st out of 141 golfers. He was 5 shots behind 140th place.

Very sad and kind of shocking. Has any former world #1 fallen so far? Seve? Ralph Guldalh? 

Rob Rigg

Re: David Duval, Dead Last
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 10:10:56 PM »
Dave,

This has been the case for a while - most golfers probably would have hung it up but David seems to have a decent attitude about it and just goes out there and sees what happens.

He has enough scratch in the bank that he never needs to work again and I assume he will continue to get exemptions.

It is shocking though isn't it . . . and must be bloody embarrassing.

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 10:23:14 PM »
Rob -

I thought he made some progress getting his form back last year. He made some cuts.

These days, not many of us have nearly as much "scratch" in the bank as we used to!  :(

DT

Anthony Gray

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 10:29:08 PM »

Is he going to play for the north or the south at the King's Putter?

Anthony

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 10:31:55 PM »
Only last because Mathias Gronberg withdrew after being 27 over through 27 holes.

David Stamm

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 10:35:32 PM »

Anthony

We don't want him! ;D
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 11:10:38 PM »

Anthony

We don't want him! ;D

Ouch!  :-[

Rob Rigg

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 12:48:09 AM »
I'm sure DD is still clipping a nice coupon from the Nike deal he signed when he was at the top of the heap . . .

It's always sad to see anyone go backwards in their profession, especially after injury problems (or equivalent "in office" issues).

Obviously he can play - which is why shooting an 82 while other guys are shooting 68 or something must be a brutal on the psyche.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 05:53:33 AM »
this is not relative, he's very courageous and can beat everyone on this site! 
Imagine the balls Duval has to play, fantastic!!!! 
 >:(
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Gary Slatter

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 05:56:44 AM »
and he wasn't dead last, he beat the three wankers who quit!
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 08:15:59 AM »
You have to admire his guts...I would have quit years ago
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Anthony Gray

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 08:32:39 AM »
You have to admire his guts...I would have quit years ago

He did quit years ago.

Eric Smith

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 08:35:43 AM »
Can you believe just 5 years ago Nike's two premier golf balls were the TW and the DD?

Philippe Binette

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 08:36:17 AM »
David made his last two cuts on tour though...

His driving accuracy is killing him... On open courses where the rough is not too long, he can still play out there... I believe he is going to win again some day

JSlonis

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 10:31:20 AM »
David made his last two cuts on tour though...

His driving accuracy is killing him... On open courses where the rough is not too long, he can still play out there... I believe he is going to win again some day

In these tough economic times, GAMBLING seems like a great idea...Any chance I can get some action on that last statement? ;D 

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2009, 10:45:48 AM »
Ten years ago I used to subscribe to the "Ian Baker Finch Watch."  Hilarious hole by hole recaps of the poor guy's attempt to still play golf.

Looks like its time for the "David Duval Cam!"

PS.  Take a look at Grosberg's scorecard for the 1st round... looks straight out of my senior ladies club championship (5th flight).

Philippe Binette

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2009, 11:44:12 AM »
Gambling on Duval winning again... the stakes would be 500 to 1

I still believe that DD still has a magic week in him... maybe more. Remember, Johnny Miller Pebble Beach 1994

Sean Leary

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 11:48:55 AM »
Has to be so unbelievably frustrating for him.

A lesser man would have given up long ago.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 12:22:04 PM »
99% of the people on this site wish he had his game.  He's won over $16 million on tour and who knows how much Nike has paid him so I don't feel so sorry for him.

www.daviduval.org has all the information.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 12:34:11 PM »

He appears to be very content. It is stressful to maintain the energy and the effort level it takes to remain a premier player. He may actually enjoy the game more now. Everyone on this site knows that higher handicappers have more fun. David Duval is just the latest example.

Anthony

Tony Ristola

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 12:47:16 PM »
David Duval shot 82+75=157 in the first 2 rounds of the Honda Classic, to finish 141st out of 141 golfers. He was 5 shots behind 140th place.

Very sad and kind of shocking. Has any former world #1 fallen so far? Seve? Ralph Guldalh? 
Ian Baker-Finch.
When you win The Open, you're Nr. 1 in my book for a little while.

I like the guy but he simply lost "it".
His hooking it OB on the first at The Old Course was... memorable.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 12:51:31 PM »
Heretofore, I've never felt compelled to share this with the treehouse, but I had the good fortune of making David's acquaintance when he played in a collegiate event at Golf Club of Tennessee many years ago.    In an unusual twist, the players were provided caddies and since the club did not have a sufficient number on staff, I volunteered and somehow drew David's bag.  He turned out to be a fun and delightful young man with a keen intellect to go along with a strong golf game - a totally different personna than that portrayed by the wrap-around sunglasses and aloof demeanor.

We have stayed in touch though surprisingly have never teed it up together.  I sent him an e-mail alerting him to this thread, knowing full well that like me, he would get a big kick out of it.  David doesn't really give a crap what he shoots.  He has prospered financially, invested wisely and relishes the role of family man.  He looks at golf much like I do, appreciating the opportunity to play and enjoying every minute of it notwithstanding some dimishment in his playing skills and the attending frustration that all of us feel as our handicaps slip and our muscles occasionally ache.  

So proceed with your cheap shots to both his amusement and mine.  Just bear in mind he gets the last laugh.

Kindest regards,

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2009, 12:59:00 PM »

Bogey,

I hope he laughs long and hard, sounds like David is doing just fine.

I personally would like to see David win again.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2009, 01:00:21 PM »
Heretofore, I've never felt compelled to share this with the treehouse, but I had the good fortune of making David's acquaintance when he played in a collegiate event at Golf Club of Tennessee many years ago.    In an unusual twist, the players were provided caddies and since the club did not have a sufficient number on staff, I volunteered and somehow drew David's bag.  He turned out to be a fun and delightful young man with a keen intellect to go along with a strong golf game - a totally different personna than that portrayed by the wrap-around sunglasses and aloof demeanor.

We have stayed in touch though surprisingly have never teed it up together.  I sent him an e-mail alerting him to this thread, knowing full well that like me, he would get a big kick out of it.  David doesn't really give a crap what he shoots.  He has prospered financially, invested wisely and relishes the role of family man.  He looks at golf much like I do, appreciating the opportunity to play and enjoying every minute of it notwithstanding some dimishment in his playing skills and the attending frustration that all of us feel as our handicaps slip and our muscles occasionally ache.  

So proceed with your cheap shots to both his amusement and mine.  Just bear in mind he gets the last laugh.

Kindest regards,

Bogey

David......If you are thinking about joining the discussion group...the name BOGEY is already taken. See you at the King's Putter.

Anthony

George Pazin

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2009, 01:03:03 PM »

Kindest regards,

Bogey

Best post on the thread, no surprise it came from Bogey.

There are maybe 5 golfers I hope win every week; David's one of 'em. A free GCA t shirt to anyone who can guess 4 others. :) I will send the other 4 to Huck in a private message to show that I'm not dodging the guesses.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back