News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Norbert P

Wine Valley Golf Club - Walla Walla, Washington
« on: December 03, 2008, 02:27:08 AM »
Some of you know that there's been a golf course being built near Walla Walla, in the southeast corner of Washington State. It's been under the radar of golf construction news but that's probably going to change by next Spring. It's called Wine Valley - yes, rhymes with Pine - and is slated to open in 2009; exact date pending.   Walla Walla is a historic American town that, in addition to being famous for its Sweet onions, the fictitious home of the Acme Company (of Roadrunner/Coyote fame), a location travelled through by the Corps of Discovery of Lewis and Clark, home of a federal penitentiary,  and claims over 100 thriving wineries. It also has its own airport to help in its burgeoning tourism.

The geology of the area is bordered by the Blue Mountains with the immediate soil underneath comprised mostly of eolian loess that has blown in over several thousands of years into gentle but giant rolling hills.  Amidst the formation of these lands came several floods that rushed down from Montana, appropriately called the Missoula Floods, when giant ice dams broke free periodically to release cataclysmic torrents unmatched in scale anywhere in the world. These floods brought in alien rocks, erratics, on ice bergs and carved sharply the Columbia River Gorge. Perhaps, most dramatically through the Wallula Gap, an area that runs through the border of Washington and Oregon. Though Walla Walla was not in the main blast of the flows it did receive backwater flooding.
  See http://hugefloods.com/ if you're interested in the lowdown.

The area where the golf course is located, about 10 miles west of WW, receives about 10 inches of rainfall per annum, and is in USGA climate zone #6. Though dry, it does receive some maritime air from the Pacific Ocean through the Columbia River Gorge, thus making it milder than areas just outside the valley. Winds can be strong throughout the Spring and Summer months, with the prevailing winds coming from the WSW. Sunrises and sunsets are remarkable with comfortable Summer evenings.

Horse Heaven Hills in Oregon above wheat.

The golf course is built upon what was a working alfalfa and wheat farm, and is irrigated from an aquifer with pumps, and surprisingly, the golf course will use 1/4 of the volume that the farm used. The greens are Bentgrass, with fairways and surrounds of a 70/30 fine fescue/bluegrass mix, and a four way fine fescue mix for rough, leading into mostly crested wheatgrass in the periphery.  At this time, there is only one two foot tree (Western Juniper) on the property, and it's virtually out of play. There will be more trees planted but they'll be used very sparingly and sparsely. Reintroduction of natives of Big sagebrush (Artemesia tridentata), bitterbrush, rabbitbrush, smooth sumac, and others will be prevalent in the outlying areas. Native rushes, red-twigged dogwoods and water grass will edge lakes away from playable areas. Some willows
have already volunteered themselves on shorelines.

1st Fairway right

3rd Green from 10th green.

The short par 4, 4th Green from left hillside, (couldn't resist the old photo effect)

Approach to 15TH

Jay Kenyon "Red Leader" in 312 with Wine Valley logo hat.

Jay,  I know what you're thinking about.

This project has been quite an adventure for this golf course hobbyist and I had a blast with a freewheelin' bunch of hardworking golf construction all stars.  I feel lucky and blessed to have been a part of this creative group and I think I speak for all that we are proud to have built such a grand result.  There is still work to do but the bones are in. I recommend to anybody whose life is somewhat in order to jump at the chance to help build a course.   It may test your resolve at times, the hours are generally long, but I cannot imagine you'd have any regrets. I know I don't.
Hope you like the pictures. There should be more to follow within the next few days.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 07:08:06 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Tom Naccarato

Re: Wine Valley Golf Club - Walla Walla, Washington
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 02:44:18 AM »
Now that is a great logo!

The course looks like a bunch of hacks got out of control on some dozers, and decided that they knew what golf should look like after a few bottles of that Walla Walla Red. Looks like they did a great job!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 05:34:53 AM »
Now that is a great logo!

Slag,

Spectacular looking place and logo. Love the big wide vistas with the bunkering to match. More pictures please!

What are the drive/fly logistics to Bandon?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 05:39:22 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 08:22:34 AM »
Slag,

Its not a federal penitentiary, its the state penitentiary.  The old story goes that Walla Walla was given the choice between having the State Capital or the State Pen and they chose the latter.  Probably saw it as the lesser of two evils.

Looks good, hopefully it will be open next May, as I will probably be in that neck of the woods around Memorial day.

Walla Walla, they liked it so much they named it twice. :)

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 11:07:22 AM »
Another Washington golf course, but in bankruptcy.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008422429_vineyards22.html

Bob

Michael Dugger

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 11:22:29 AM »
What Slag has failed to mention is the course is designed by Dan Hixson, he of Bandon Crossings.

We all look forward to seeing more!
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

John Kirk

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 11:29:23 AM »
Wow, Slag, to show how in sync we are, here is a little map I found of the great Missoula floods:

Pumpkin Ridge is also built on silt from the floods, with a few exotic Montana gneiss boulders thrown in for good measure.

(Map courtesy of the Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 11:36:13 AM by John Kirk »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 11:29:34 AM »
Slag

You've been doing good!  Please keep it up and keep us informed.

Rich

Norbert P

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 12:32:41 PM »
Here's an early photo of the par 5 7th taken from the left edge of the fairway. It's a deceiving photo in that the fairway is huge off to the right. Initially, there were nearly 80 acres! of fairway but practicality is bringing that down a little.  Everybody loved how the bunkers looked without sand in them but these were too huge for tall grass hazards.

Usually the very clean and dry air allows the Blue Mountains to show its mesmerizing details. The morning Sun is not at its best for this shot of them, but a setting sun paints a startlingly different richness of color.

Mike S, from Bandon to Walla Walla is about 8+ hours of driving time. Not sure of flight time but assume it would be a one stopper in Portland from North Bend.

Michael, Dan not only designed it, he also built much of it.  Site visits?  He virtually lived there. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 12:45:34 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 12:42:15 PM »
I think Spokane airport would be your best bet.

You could get there in 3 hours if you own a radar detector...otherwise closer to a 3.5 hour drive.   ;D

Slag,

Will this course be private or public?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 12:50:36 PM by Kalen Braley »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 12:47:02 PM »
Congratulations on the great looking course, Norbert.  As I understand it, you did the bunker construction, right?  Way to go!

Michael Dugger

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 12:50:01 PM »
Michael, Dan not only designed it, he also built much of it.  Site visits?  He virtually lived there. 

Okay, Slag, whatever dog.  Do you think my memory is that poor?  I know he was there......because you told me!!!!  Please excuse my semantics.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 01:30:05 PM »
I think Spokane airport would be your best bet.

You could get there in 3 hours if you own a radar detector...otherwise closer to a 3.5 hour drive.   ;D

Slag,

I travel to Walla Walla quite a bit, and it's one of those towns "that you can't get there from here".   But well worth when you arrive.  Best is to fly into the Tri-Cities airport in Pasco and then it's a 45-60 minute drive East. 

This is terrific terrain, and throughout the years driving out Walla Walla I always would gaze upon the land and think... "man, this would be PERFECT for a golf course".  Can't wait to check it out this summer.

Norbert P

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 01:39:03 PM »
Here's a shot of the frosty 9th green from across the lake, taken just a couple of days before Thanksgiving.  Approach is from the left of photo.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 01:53:07 PM by Slag Bandoon »

Norbert P

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 02:04:53 PM »
Congratulations on the great looking course, Norbert.  As I understand it, you did the bunker construction, right?  Way to go!

Bill, Yes, like 50 of 'em!   (I did a few)

Scene from Napolean Dynamite . . .

"Don:      Hey, Napoleon. What did you do last summer again?
Napoleon Dynamite: I told you! I spent it with my uncle in Alaska hunting wolverines!
Don:        Did you shoot any?
Napoleon Dynamite: Yes, like 50 of 'em! They kept trying to attack my cousins, what the heck would you do in a situation like that?
Don: What kind of gun did you use?
Napoleon Dynamite: A freakin' 12-gauge, what do you think?"

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 02:06:30 PM »
Slag,
Great pictures. Know you had a blast working up there. Keep me updated on opening day. I need to play it before the 650 home master plan  gets going.
http://www.winevalleygolfclub.com/intro.htm

Norbert P

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 02:20:46 PM »

It will be public and converting to semi-private with privileges as homes - roughly 270 of 'em, are developed. I believe it will be marketed as a resort course and think this is the best tact as Walla Walla needs a great golf course, and with wine tourists flocking to the area, this should be a great fit. The plan is to have lodging above the clubhouse, which I think will be built next year. 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 02:20:47 PM »
Way to go Slagbert, and Lurker Dan!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 03:01:33 PM »
Wow, Slag, to show how in sync we are, here is a little map I found of the great Missoula floods:

Pumpkin Ridge is also built on silt from the floods, with a few exotic Montana gneiss boulders thrown in for good measure.

(Map courtesy of the Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture)

Isn't the difference the speed of the water, or how quickly it could drain away. Pumpkin Ridge probably didn't hold the water as long as Aloha which is world famous for its nearly impermeable clay, but might approximate it. I would like the settling at Walla Walla would be much coarser than that at Pumpkin Ridge.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Rob Rigg

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 03:38:20 PM »
Slag,

The pics look very cool and the setting is spectacular - I've been out there before and agree that the Blue Mountains are incredibly scenic, as are the vineyards (never mind the top shelf juice that comes out of them).

Will the housing impose on the course significantly?
It looks like a "target" layout from the pics - ie) not a lot of bump and run - is that accurate?

Cheers

Norbert P

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2008, 04:07:38 PM »

Will the housing impose on the course significantly?

It looks like a "target" layout from the pics - ie) not a lot of bump and run - is that accurate?

Cheers

Rob, the houses will have an undevelopable buffer zone of (I think) 75 feet from property lines. That includes landscaping, so the encroachment of houses and trees will be minimal.

It is not target golf by any stretch of definition. It is huge from tees through fairways, and greens averaging nearly 9000 squared feet.  Even the par 3's have bouncible approaches or bounder banks surrounding greens.  I cannot think of a green that has to be flown unless you're coming from the left fairway on three trying to reach a par 5 in two - same scenario for reaching 10 - against the prevailing wind, or 7 with the wind.  (7 should yield many eagles - it's fallen already to the Herculean talents of Tyler Daniels once [as had #1 from the fairway bunker!], with many other putter threats.)

"From the pics" . . . please forgive an amateur photographer with the shakes.

"A picture is worth a thousand lies."   NP

RJ_Daley

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008, 04:09:17 PM »
Nice job Norby.  I'm like Pete in that I'd love to see it before the housing goes in.  It is a pity that the plan can't loose the whole inner loop of homes and convert to a par 3 inner course within a course.  But, the land she looks like it has great rolls and nothing is too much over-the-top.  It seem like just good quality terrain to build a course economically, yet with great hole design potentials.  I have no doubt your hard work and input was a major factor in arriving at the details of what will be thought of as a quality golf course in the years to come. 

this should be a plan map:
http://www.winevalleygolfclub.com/community.htm

this should be aerial before construction, or very close.  You can see the neat subtle rolls:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=46.062869,-118.442574&spn=0.01739,0.068321&t=h&z=14
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2008, 04:23:09 PM »

Slag,

Great information on the area.

Private or public?

What is alfalfa used for?

Thanks............Anthony

Garland Bayley

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2008, 04:27:32 PM »
Slagbert already wrote that it is public, to turn semi-private.

Alfalfa is used as the first greek letter in University of Idaho sororities, such as alfa falfa hay.

Or it is something to let the Washington State University cheerleaders to graze on.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2008, 04:29:50 PM »
Slagbert already wrote that it is public, to turn semi-private.

Alfalfa is used as the first greek letter in University of Idaho sororities, such as alfa falfa hay.

Or it is something to let the Washington State University cheerleaders to graze on.

Garland............I just pissed my pants!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back