News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Marshall

OT-Handicap calculation after re-rating
« on: August 03, 2020, 08:42:58 AM »
You have a renovation to your course that was completed in the fall. They re-rate the course in July. Shouldn't the scores posted in 2020 be adjusted so that your handicap takes into account the new rating for the year. The course has been the same since it opened in the spring of 2020 until the official rating comes out. Nothing has changed.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

A.G._Crockett

Re: OT-Handicap calculation after re-rating
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 08:59:53 AM »
I take your point, but courses are being re-rated all the time; all courses are supposed to be re-rated at least every ten years, and new courses within 5.  I'm not sure how practical it would be to be adjusting masses of scores for all golfers who had played ANY course that had been re-rated, even in the current calendar year.

And since your index is based now only on the 8 best of the last 20 rounds, the problem should take care of itself pretty quickly for active golfers, especially this time of year.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 09:55:59 AM »
Hopefully the new "reratings' reflect all the 4 foot gimmes,mulligans,preferred lies x's and lateral drops(not the USGA local rule 2 stroke kind) that occur on a daily basis.
Every time we build a new white tee I swear it's the last due to the outcries about the need to "rerate" the course.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 10:02:49 AM »
Hopefully the new "reratings' reflect all the 4 foot gimmes,mulligans,preferred lies x's and lateral drops(not the USGA local rule 2 stroke kind) that occur on a daily basis.
Every time we build a new white tee I swear it's the last due to the outcries about the need to "rerate" the course.

What, no sandbaggers at the Yacht Club? Or do your members save those scores for trips down south? I'll never figure out how I give a guy 25, beat him by 35 and owe him 55.

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 10:16:07 AM »

What, no sandbaggers at the Yacht Club? Or do your members save those scores for trips down south? I'll never figure out how I give a guy 25, beat him by 35 and owe him 55.

here's why.
The stroke rating of the 9th and 18th hole have a direct relationship to the handicap of the current handicap chairman, or whoever wears the pants at the club.Oftentimes this bleeds into holes 8 and 17 for insurance.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bob Harris

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 02:01:42 PM »
You have a renovation to your course that was completed in the fall. They re-rate the course in July. Shouldn't the scores posted in 2020 be adjusted so that your handicap takes into account the new rating for the year. The course has been the same since it opened in the spring of 2020 until the official rating comes out. Nothing has changed.

Did the renovation change the playing length of the course?

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 02:56:36 PM »
Have you contacted your state organization's director of handicapping and asked this question?

Rob Marshall

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 03:37:30 PM »
Have you contacted your state organization's director of handicapping and asked this question?

I sent an email to the USGA handicap division this morning.

The length didn’t materially change. It was a major bunker renovation. Bunkers are much more in play now than they used to be.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 03:46:52 PM by Rob Marshall »
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

David Ober

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 05:37:48 PM »

here's why.
The stroke rating of the 9th and 18th hole have a direct relationship to the handicap of the current handicap chairman, or whoever wears the pants at the club.Oftentimes this bleeds into holes 8 and 17 for insurance.

Wow. So true. Our 17th hole -- a par 5 of 500 yards with water left and trees and a creek right -- is easily one of the toughest holes on our course if handicapped according to USGA recommendations (separate scores into two groups and look for the holes with the largest disparities and handicap accordingly). However this hole is unbelievably rated as our 16th handicap hole. I've never seen one so mis-handicapped in all my life.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back