News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

What a great thread.   I really miss PD!

Kalen Braley

Hey now...

Who duct taped Tim B to the wall so he can't continue on with number 11.  Its been almost a week now! Lets get this thread rolling!!  ;)

Tim Bert

Hey now...

Who duct taped Tim B to the wall so he can't continue on with number 11.  Its been almost a week now! Lets get this thread rolling!!  ;)

Who sent you that picture of me?

I knew this was going to be a tough week from the get-go.  I've been in Vegas all week, and I'm getting home late tonight.  I'm on the move again for the next couple of days.  I'll try to find some time to fit in #11, beginning now if the airport Internet connection stops garbaging out on me. 

Updated note: Connection at the airport is running WAY too slow to get the photos I need to the host site.  To be continued Saturday...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 09:17:41 PM by Tim Bert »

Tim Bert

The 11th hole is a par 3
148 from the black tee
131 from the green tee

This hole is, in my opinion, the best par 3 in a set of five stand-out par 3s on this great course.  Eye candy comes to mind when you first see the photos.  The 11th and 13th are probably the two most aesthetically pleasing holes on the course (when factoring in the surroundings as well.)  Fortunately, both have the goods to back up the golfing experience as well.  The hole is short, which is appropriate in the summer wind.  The green feels small - I'm not sure it is the smallest on the course but I would guess it is close.

I've only played the course into a neutral or headwind.  Without wind (rarely happens) the hole plays as a wedge for me.  In 2003, I played the hole twice on the same day.  In the morning, it was a full 9-iron.  In the afternoon it was a full 6-iron from the same tee.  Though the green looks relatively flat, it is full of subtle breaks.  Rolling in the putts here aren't as straight-forward as you might think.  The bunkering is as good as it gets in my opinion, and I've had plenty of opportunity to put them to the test.  Large bunker protect the front of the green - been there.  A long and deep bunker looms on the left to protect the slightly wayward shot from heading off the cliff - been there.  A small pot bunker hides from view off the tee on the right side of the green - been there.  All of these bunker shots can be tough (particularly from the bunker on the right with the ocean behind the green) but none are impossible and all are fun.  I've seen balls bounce from the dunes on the right back onto the green.  I've seen someone hit an ugly short pull and play from the cliffside short of the green.

The 11th is one of my favorite par 3s anywhere.

Walking off the 10th hole, the 11th greets you with this view as you walk to the tee

Three views from the tee

A closer view of the front bunker

With all apologies to Bob Huntley :P, this was a one-time shot that dictated the direction of the hat on my head (temporary rally cap - acceptable exception as mentioned by Mike Hendren)  ;D

A look at the green from behind

and a look at the green from the front

Another look at the green from one of the scariest small bunkers on the course

Some wide views from behind

This one shows the long bunker on the left side of the green.  You can also see how the green tends to fall off a bit on the left side

Everyone that has the pleasure to experience return trips to Bandon should time at least one round to "end" out at the ocean

Tim Bert

I just realized I promised a view of the special 6th hole at Bandon Dunes played from 10th tee at Pacific Dunes.  Worth a closest to pin competition on the evening when you plan the round to end at the ocean at sunset...

Joe Bentham

Tim--
What about the people playing on Bandon?   

Tim Bert

Joe - I'm not recommending that everyone hit a shot down to the 6th on a frequent basis, and I didn't intend for it to sound that way.  Let me clarify - in ten trips around the course we did this one time.  We had talked about it the first several times around that it would be cool to try it out if we were ever out in the late evening when most of the folks were done for the day.  One night we were out playing both courses were empty, so we tried it out.  Perhaps they could use this hybrid hole as a crossover if they ever host a tournament and decide to use a blended routing of the two courses.

Eric_Terhorst

Tim,

Thanks again for all the pics, and the generous helping of #11 pics. 

#2, #11 and #13 are the ones that my mind's eye keeps coming back to long after the last round at Pacific Dunes.  "How will I play those shots next time..."

Your survey just further whets the appetite...

Mike Benham

"... and I liked the guy ..."

DMoriarty

whoops.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 09:22:15 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

DMoriarty

Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

John Kirk

I consider #11 to be one of Tom's most artistic golf holes.  I believe a fair amount of work was required to create it, and it is spectacularly beautiful.

The second of a series of four consecutive holes into the summer wind, it provides another opportunity for a controlled, low approach.  Back pin placements are my favorites here.

On another active thread on page 1, Tom mentions he's not exactly sure what makes a great par 3.  This is one of my favorites.  Beautiful, and it requires an exacting, short shot to get your par or birdie.

Jim Colton

David,

That first pic is one of the best golf pictures I've seen of any course, any where.  Fantastic.

Here's a quick video of me aiming about 40 yards left of the flag and hitting my tee shot 40 yards right of the flag at #11. 

http://home.comcast.net/~jcolton31/pacdunes11.mov

Alan Gard

#11 is certainly one of the most photogenic holes I've ever played.  Although short, it is no pushover, and it can (like most every other hole at Pacific Dunes) ruin a round.  I've seen at least one pickup on this hole.  The wind can wreak havoc with a poorly struck shot.  And anyone with a left to right ball flight has to test their courage and determine how far out into the Pacific to aim.

This can also be a very serene setting late in the day with the sun setting over the ocean.

Joe Bentham

Joe - I'm not recommending that everyone hit a shot down to the 6th on a frequent basis, and I didn't intend for it to sound that way.  Let me clarify - in ten trips around the course we did this one time.  We had talked about it the first several times around that it would be cool to try it out if we were ever out in the late evening when most of the folks were done for the day.  One night we were out playing both courses were empty, so we tried it out.  Perhaps they could use this hybrid hole as a crossover if they ever host a tournament and decide to use a blended routing of the two courses.

I don't think so Tim.

DMoriarty

David,

That first pic is one of the best golf pictures I've seen of any course, any where.  Fantastic.

Here's a quick video of me aiming about 40 yards left of the flag and hitting my tee shot 40 yards right of the flag at #11. 

http://home.comcast.net/~jcolton31/pacdunes11.mov

Thanks Jim.   It was a beautiful evening.  Not nearly as much wind as in your video, but still I managed to avoid cluttering the view with a ball on the green.  Nice to see you are playing from the right side of the ball.

Scott Weersing

I think the hole is a challenge in the winter when it is downwind. You have to calculate how much club it will take to clear the first bunker. One day in 2007 the pin was in the back and I hit a 9 iron that landed on the green and then climbed up the hill behind the green. It then rolled back down the hill towards the hole.

I hated this hole for a long time as I could never manage to hit the green but I like it more now. I still relieved to walk away with a par as there are few places to get up and down from if you miss the green.

A photo from my first visit to Pacific Dunes in 2003. I shot this on Fujichrome 100D back in the old days of film.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 08:47:27 AM by Scott Weersing »

Jeff Doerr

David,  This is #3 green -  correct?

P.S. In Scott's picture above - I believe that is my golf bag on the back on #10.  What a day and a memory.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Dan Herrmann

I absolutely LOVE the routing of PD.  By the time you get to 11, you're almost at the climax of the course.  The ocean and wind are roaring, you're on your game, and you can't wait to conquer the rest of the course.    By the time you're into 15/16, you're in the denouement.

To me, a great course is like great literature.   PD is truly a great course that provides such a literary experience.  Sometimes it's a drama, sometimes it's a comedy, but it always makes those that play it better for the experience.

PD 11 is, without a doubt,  my favorite par 3 - ever.

Tim Pitner

#11 is a gem--it's all you'd want in an oceanside par 3, IMO.  It has views, options off the tee, danger and the possibility of birdie. 

If I had a criticism of Pacific Dunes (and I'm on record as saying it's the best course I've played) is that #11 might be, to borrow Dan's phrase, the climax of the course.  Don't get me wrong--I don't think there's a bad hole after #11 and there are several very good ones (#13, #15 and #16), but I don't think any of the subsequent holes reach the same level of excitement as #11.  #13 is the obvious candidate, but I've never really loved the hole despite the awesome surroundings.  As I said, I like #15 and #16 very much and while I personally don't hold #17 and #18 in the same high regard, they represent a worthy finish.  So, for me, the strength of the course is from #2 to #11 and there is the slightest bit of a drop-off after #11. 

Kalen Braley

Sorry Tim,

But I'm calling mokey spunk on this one.  While 11 is really good, I don't think it was the climax of the course, but was certainly a nice creschendo!! 

After being teased with 4 and 5, coming back to the ocean is sure nice, but it doesn't end there.  After 11, you get poked and tickled a little more by having to go back to 12.  But then 13 and 14 unfold before you.  13 with the view north up the coast, and 14 with the view south and most of the entire course.  14 tee is no doubt my most favorite spot on the course.  It really works well as a nice 1-2 visual punch and gives the golfer one last chance to take it all in before they start the trek inland to home.  But we can save that for 13 and 14 discussion.

11 was my most fav par 3 on the course.  I think the bunkering really tied in with the surrounds harmoniously and makes for a visually intimidating target, especially when you get up there and realize you have more room than it looks.  I can't think of a single thing I would do differently with this hole.  It really is epic stuff and needs to be seen in person to get the full effect of it.

Dan Herrmann

Tim - I like the climax in the middle 6 of a golf course.  Like I said, it then plays out like fine literature.   You see this at Augusta, PD, and a lot of other great courses.

To me, keeping the goodies till the end is a tease.  Give them too early and you just want more.

I'm getting ahead of the thread here, but I think the ultimate PD experience is to find this little bench way up on the back tee on 17 and just have a seat for 5-10 minutes.  Not only is the view awesome out over 16 onto the ocean, but it provides a serene place to contemplate the experience you've just taken in.  

If golf were a religion, PD would be St Peter's.
If golf were literature, PD would be Shakespeare.
If golf were music, PD would be Beethoven.

Tim Pitner

Sorry Tim,

But I'm calling mokey spunk on this one.  While 11 is really good, I don't think it was the climax of the course, but was certainly a nice creschendo!! 

After being teased with 4 and 5, coming back to the ocean is sure nice, but it doesn't end there.  After 11, you get poked and tickled a little more by having to go back to 12.  But then 13 and 14 unfold before you.  13 with the view north up the coast, and 14 with the view south and most of the entire course.  14 tee is no doubt my most favorite spot on the course.  It really works well as a nice 1-2 visual punch and gives the golfer one last chance to take it all in before they start the trek inland to home.  But we can save that for 13 and 14 discussion.

Kalen,

I don't disagree that #13 and #14 offer great views--I just think the strength of PD is #11 and the holes preceding it (#1, not so much).  While #14 is a fine hole, it would have to be on my short list of least great holes at Pacific Dunes. 

Dan,

I too am fine with a course where the middle six holes are the best, although in Pacific Dunes' case, I think you have to include #2 - #4.  I prefer to judge a course as a whole, rather than parsing it out hole-by-hole (ironic, given this thread), but I can see one criticizing PD as having more good holes early than late in the round. 

Tim Bert

#12 is a par 5.
The black tee is 529
The green tee is 507

The 12th hole has one of the toughest jobs on the resort.  Bridge the gap between the world class par 3 #11 and the world class par 4 #13.  In my opinion this par 5 does the job admirably, though it is certainly one of the lesser holes on the golf course.  # 4 and #12 could have probably been reversed in order to have three consecutive holes on the ocean, but as has already been discussed on this thread it is the ups and downs that make this journey more exciting in the end.

The tee shot is not too daunting in the summer.  With the wind coming at you, the fairway bunkers are not in play unless you stray too far to the left off the tee.  The object of this hole, at least in my mind, has always been to position the ball to the right side of the fairway after the second shot for an optimal approach to the green.  That is, of course, unless you've got enough distance to make a run for the green in two.  I think this one would be great fun and full of decisions in the winter wind.  Interested in thoughts from those that have played it with the helping wind.

I really enjoy the approach from inside 150 on this hole.  There's something about the bumpy fairway combined with the wide open look to the green that makes me want to putt the ball.  I've done it at least twice from 100 or so yards.  While the hole is fairly straight-forward, it has by no means been easy for my group.  I've seen 30 scores posted on this hole, and only once have I seen birdie.  I've only made par once myself, and I've seen or posted multiple 8s and 9s.  The best player in our group has never posted a score worse than bogey, so there's not much trouble lurking for someone that strikes the ball with good consistency. 

I don't have enough photos of this hole, so I've got another task for my next trip out to Bandon.  If anyone has any others, feel free to post.

From the tee

the approach from behind the fairway bunker

A view of the green

With the third green in the distance

A closeup of the green with the ocean in the distance.  You can see in this photo how the back side of the green quickly transforms into the dune

I'll have #13 up in a couple of days - probably Friday night through Tuesday night for those that don't check over the weekend.  The hectic travel is done for now, so the holes will be coming more regularly next week.

George Freeman

I have only played this hole in the winter wind, but I would have to guess that this wind creates a little more of thinking hole then when this is dead into a strong wind.  First off, it brings the center line bunker into play.  Which means if you want to make it on the left of the center line bunker, which is preferable (I think) you have to hit a very accurate drive.

Secondly, the hole is pretty easily reachable downwind.  The great thing is that when you go for this green with a long iron or fairway wood, you tend to bail out right away from the trouble left (large bunker short left of the green and death left and long of the green).  The problem when this happens is that your ball tends to funnel into the little area right of the green behind the dune that bumps up to the green (or worse, reaches the gorse).  Then you're faced with a very awkward shot or 30-50 yards which may be blocked out by a portion of the dune, or at the very least will be affected  by the spine running off the tip of the dune into the green.  This was the predicament I found myself in both times (and only times) I have played Pac Dunes. 

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me  ;)  Fantastic hole!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back