News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Grant Saunders

Re: Arrowtown Golf Course NZ - An Absolute Hidden Gem
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2014, 04:14:16 PM »
Hey Scott, hope you are keeping well.

I haven't been to Arrowtown for about 3 years now as I haven't been back to Queenstown apart from our wedding. I wasn't able to get much golf in on that trip but did have a round at Millbrook with Blair and Ryan Irwin. It certainly is on the cards when I head down that way next as its just one of those courses that I don't think I could ever tire of playing.

Did you ever get through to Cromwell to see the finished product?

Ash Towe

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2014, 05:50:48 PM »
Grant,

Nice to see this thread brought back to life.

Where have you been working recently.

If you would like a game in Auckland let me know.

Dane Hawker

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2014, 06:33:08 PM »
Hi Guys,

I played the front nine on Sunday. Love that place.
Having a few beers in the club house I suggested to Rick the Course Super about joining the putting green to the 9th green for a laugh. He wasn't so sure :P

Hope you had some good weather Tom, we had snow and hail while the NZ Open was on and it was COLD.

I only took a couple of photos, one of 7 and one of 9. I need to take my DSLR around one day instead of the phone.

Grant Saunders

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2014, 03:46:10 AM »
Grant,

Nice to see this thread brought back to life.

Where have you been working recently.

If you would like a game in Auckland let me know.

Hey Ash

It is nice to see this thread up again. Playing Arrowtown for the first time was so much fun and those pictures are some of my favourite golf course ones I have.

These days I'm in Ashburton and not playing much golf. Next time I am in Auckland and have my clubs I will definitely try to catch up for a game.

Dane

The putting green and 9th are actually all built as one big green and it was one of the design ideas that potentially a pin could be placed in the putting green for the 9th on special occasions. The whole area has a gravel layer and the same profile. It would simply be a case of mowing he area between the 2 areas shorter.

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2014, 08:55:21 AM »
Hi

Grant is correct with what he says about the construction of the 9th green and putting green, but I cannot imagine the day I would advocate that the hole for the 9th be cut on the practice green – it would make the 9th hole brutal (green sloping away from the line of play) and jeopardise safety (as the car park is just to the right of the practise putting green (see photo).

Scott

David Davis

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2017, 02:58:52 PM »

Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd just add photos to this thread which was off to a great start. I recently visited Arrowtown and have to say I loved it. It's awesome and was one of the nicest surprises on my tour of NZ. Without further commentary an image or ten are worth a few words. Go.visit.Arrowtown!

Tough start early in the morning with this tricky little drop shot 3.

The second holes offers some reprieve as it looks much wider than it plays. To be fair it's short, quirky and cool.

As the sun comes up so too does the body warm up. However, the course doesn't get wider here, I had to double check if I had enough room for the backswing.

And behold this jewel

The next hole equally as fun

Left side is the implied safe side but it's a challenging approach even with a clear strategy.

Any thoughts? I'll take a break and let everyone catch their breath. If there is enough interest I will continue.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Andy Smith

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2017, 03:34:39 PM »
Please continue! I stayed in Arrowtown and Queenstown twice but only played Jack's Point. Have friends in Arrowtown and thinking of heading back this winter (UK winter). How does it compare to the other local courses...? I need this on my bucket list!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2017, 05:38:54 PM »
Please continue! I stayed in Arrowtown and Queenstown twice but only played Jack's Point. Have friends in Arrowtown and thinking of heading back this winter (UK winter). How does it compare to the other local courses...? I need this on my bucket list!

Andy:

Arrowtown is much much different than the other big-time courses in Queenstown.  It's shorter and narrower and less pretentious; it's built by New Zealanders for New Zealanders, so there was very little earth moved.

I have tried to convince NZ Tourism that they should feature it alongside [or above] the other Queenstown courses, but they worry that visiting Asians and Americans would find the conditions or atmosphere to be not up to their expectations.  [sigh]  I would have thought NZ Tourism would be more proud of something that feels authentically New Zealand, but perhaps they are just putting on a haka show for the visitors.

Anyway, Arrowtown would be my first stop for golf in the south island.  Perhaps when it is the first course in the front of Volume 5 of The Confidential Guide, my feelings will be made clear enough.

jeffwarne

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2017, 06:17:01 PM »

I have tried to convince NZ Tourism that they should feature it alongside [or above] the other Queenstown courses, but they worry that visiting Asians and Americans would find the conditions or atmosphere to be not up to their expectations.

Please refrain from doing this...:)

Amazing picture Grant!
Thanks for the bump David.
I played it just over a year ago and the course and holes were so engaging I had completely forgotton how spectacular the backdrops were of the surrounding terrain and mountains. Hard to bellieve considering my drive home was to the top of that mountain so prominent in the background of hole #2.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2017, 06:27:49 PM »
10-15 games at Arrowtown v 1 game at The Hills? Let me think about that for about 1 second.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2017, 06:45:33 PM »
Still one of my favorite places I've ever played, thanks for bumping this thread and posting these photos.

David Davis

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2017, 06:30:10 AM »
Thanks for the comments can't say I disagree with any of them.

As you can see another short 4 with some great fairway movement. Left is the play here. Out of bounds fence is on the right.

One of the interesting things about this green as you can see is that ideally it's approach from the right side, however if you drove the ball to the right side of the fairway down below and managed to stay in-bounds you would have a blind approach into this green. This is why Tom mentioned earlier in this thread that this hole sets up good for someone that draws the ball.

To me the next hole fits a fade and the photo looks like these trees encroach on drive already at the tee box. I don't think it was quite as bad as it looks but IMO they could be removed. Otherwise a really unique hole, again very impressive natural land movement.

The view from this ridge is almost ideal for the flag position but I was surprised at how narrow the space was and that somehow I managed to end up here. Incidentally we played a 5 ball which I've never done. 3:45 hours so not too bad given they were telling us the history of the course and surrounding area and Arrowtown on every hole.

Another wonderful example of the land they had to work with. For the record, I HATE the fact that the cart path is there. In fact, there shouldn't be any cart paths on a course like this IMO, it's a walking course. Still a great little hole.

As others have mentioned the front 9 really has a wonderful set of 9 holes, every one is very interesting. This lovely par 4 lets you choose what club you want to take off the tee. A decent drive has your ball up around the second bend headed to the green and leaves about a 8-9 iron for the approach.

Given photos hardly do a place justice in most cases imagine how good this course is in person!!!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 08:46:54 AM by David Davis »
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2017, 12:07:04 AM »
Given photos hardly do a place justice in most cases imagine how good this course is in person!!!

Thanks David for your photos and wonderful memories - it is indeed a Gem.

I remember saying to my golfing partner a few years back when we played it - if I was given a choice between Arrowtown or Pebble Beach for my last game of golf - I would choose Arrowtown in a heartbeat. It brought me so much fun and enjoyment.

Alan Ritchie

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2017, 04:48:22 AM »
this tour has shamed me! I've been to Queenstown three times and only played jacks point...
Absolutely nailed on for my next visit where I shall repent my sins.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2017, 09:30:02 AM »
The landforms are exceptional, the routing extremely imaginative, the green sites fascinating, and the scenery spectacular. Can't want more than that.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Joe Perches

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2017, 03:29:46 AM »
The landforms are exceptional, the routing extremely imaginative, the green sites fascinating, and the scenery spectacular. Can't want more than that.

All yes to that and the first course I've played without a bunker.

And the weather can be nice too.

I showed up yesterday as a single and managed to play in the Arrowtown v. Queenstown matches.

Good people and good fun.

James Bennett

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2017, 04:37:56 AM »
what are you doing in the southern hemisphere Joe Perches?
Are you crossing the ditch on this trip? (crossing the Tasman Sea to Australia).

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Joe Perches

Re: Arrowtown Golf Course NZ - An Absolute Hidden Gem New
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2017, 09:20:36 PM »
what are you doing in the southern hemisphere Joe Perches?
Are you crossing the ditch on this trip? (crossing the Tasman Sea to Australia).

James B

Unfortunately, no.  Not this trip.  Just on holiday with friends that don't golf.  I did get one day to play on the trip and chose Cape Kidnappers.  Arrowtown was a delightful bonus round after our friends went off across that ditch to visit family in Melbourne.

I played 2 rounds at Kidnappers (with 20+ knot winds and 6 lost balls) at ~1000 NZD total, and 1 round at Arrowtown, (just with 1 ball) at ~100 NZD, both locations with hire clubs.

While Kidnappers is spectacular, looking only at fun/$, I'd play at least 10:1 at Arrowtown.

I hope to go on a golf specific trio to your country soonish.  Cheers, Joe
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 03:15:34 AM by Joe Perches »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back