News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philip Gawith

Pinnacle Point - South Africa (pictures)
« on: April 14, 2008, 05:29:02 PM »
This is maybe the most talked about of the new generation of courses in South Africa. Scenically, as these pictures make clear, it is just about without peer. It certainly compares very favourably with exceptionally scenic courses like Cape Kidnappers, Pebble Beach and Bandon Dunes.

For that reason alone, it probably deserves a visit. It is what you might describe as a "hyper-heroic" course full of awesome carries and views, but certainly not something you would want to play on an every-day basis. My own view is that the terrain is a little extreme for golf, and the course probably too difficult for many golfers. Purists will probably think that the desire to get the golfer back towards the sea has overshadowed some other elements of the game. All that said, I was witness to the whoops of delight when long handicappers successfully traversed some of the heroic challenges the golf course poses.

I did not play the course and only managed to go around the first nine in a buggy so I have not said much about the different holes. The first half dozen pictures are of the second nine (bar one) but all the rest are of the first nine.

These last four pictures are of the extraordinary 5th hole - the first of them shows you the view from the tee. You aim at the bunkers, with the green visible in the bottom left of the picture. the last of the picture looks back at the hole from behind... the tees are way over on the right at the top of the picture.

More to follow....

David Stamm

Re: Pinnacle Point - South Africa (pictures)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 05:33:42 PM »
Great pics (again!) Philip! The 5th photo reminds me of Old Head. The course definitely looks like it's worth a looksy.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Philip Gawith

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 05:37:11 PM »
Here are the rest of the pictures. You can see how steep the gradients are on some of the fairways, such as the 8th (the second last green in the set).

When I took the pictures it was relatively calm. When the wind blows, as it does around these parts, it must be very tough!

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 06:30:00 PM »
Nice photos Philip , thanks for posting .

Darren Clarke is involved here , isnt he ?

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 06:33:41 PM »
Phillip,

Great photograps.

Having played the courses of the Eastern Cape it would seem to me that some of those holes would be well nigh unplayable in just a regular wind, let alone a so'easter.

What do the cottages sell for....in Rand?

Bob

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 06:41:05 PM »
Well done, Philip as with the Dutch courses you have beaten me to Pinnacle by a season.

I was planning on checking the new Nicklaus "links" up the coast, too. Did you make it there?

Interesting you mention Bandon; the course I had in mind was Kauri.

Mark

PS Brian, yes Clarke had some involvement. The website has a sort of propaganda video where he plays a number of the holes. Worth watching, actually.

Tim Taylor

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 07:28:15 PM »
Wow. Just wow.

The one fairway that is brown - was it not overseeded for some reason?

Tim

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 11:38:35 PM »
Phillip wow great pictures. who designed this most beautiful course. I am with Bob on the cost of lodging in the area.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 11:48:43 PM »
The designer is a South African named Peter Matkovich.  He came up to Bandon and Bend to visit last summer although I was sorry to miss him due to a change in my schedule.

James Bennett

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 12:02:36 AM »
I see elements of similarity with The Castle (St Andrews #7), especially the coast line holes (eg the Castle, #9, #18 and the par 3 #17).

Phillip, I am not talking about Castle Lager here!

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Jason McNamara

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 12:33:04 AM »
Matkovich is pretty well regarded in SA, right?  Kind of a newer generation Bob Grimsdell?  The local guy who has a good rep at home but is not well-known elsewhere?  I realize most of the new bigger developments there are estate (housing development) courses, but that isn't Matkovich's fault.

Thanks for the photos, Philip, but where are the Oubaai pics?   ;)

Bob, lots start at R1.5 M.  (That's around $200K for those who don't do rand math.)

Jason

RJ_Daley

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 12:34:29 AM »
It looks like a massive and dramatic project.  Perhaps if Trevor wins a few more, and some other S.A.s, they will go back soon for a future Pres., Cup (or is that already in the works?)  Is this course walkable?  It looks like carts and paths all around...

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 02:23:43 AM »
Yes, designed by Peter Matkovich who seems to have a huge grip on the local market. Darren Clarke has some sort of ambassadorial role - declaring it the best course he has seen! - not sure if he made  architectural input.

I think it is walkable for the young and strong, but no-one else. I think they intend most players to take buggies. Someone asked about the St Francis Links course designed by Jack Nicklaus and declared by him - so said someone who intended the opening - to be one of his very best (there's a surprise!). I forgot my camera that day alas so no pictures. But that course is not really walkable either - the "links" with the most elevation change in the world! I mention it here because my one rather depressing conclusion about the newer South African courses is that they are worshipping at the wrong temple - too keen on mimicking high end US style resort courses with bag drops, buggies etc. If ever a country was crying out for good caddie schemes!

Anyway.....Bob, I did not check the property prices. But I can tell you that prime real estate in the Western Cape is very expensive these days (albeit the currency is again weakening) although maybe not by the standards of where you are living! A friend looked at a nice beach house on Llandudno beach in Cape Town recently and that was about 2m sterling, or over R30m. I would think some of those bigger houses you can see on this property are selling for about 1m pounds. But bear in mind that although this is a spectacular golf course, you would think twice before buying a house in Mossel Bay which is probably the least nice part of the Garden Route. Additionally, the resort/accommodation part of this complex did not fill you with confidence and does not overall have quite the high-end feel it aspires for. The Nicklaus course by contrast i think has done this bit of the package better, although the golf lacks the same wow factor. It is, however, only 75 min from Humewood which remains the best course in this neck of the woods.

You are also right about playability Bob re the wind. I think the course is a bit too severe. Part of the reason in the end I did not play was because I was pretty sure my wife would not enjoy it - I knew she would like the views, but not the golf.

Not sure re the overseeding Tim -  I am not the greenkeeper here, but they were certainly fiddling around.

I have not made it to Oubaai Jason! Apparently Simola, inland course near Knysna is also very nice.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 01:19:13 PM »
The designer is a South African named Peter Matkovich.  He came up to Bandon and Bend to visit last summer although I was sorry to miss him due to a change in my schedule.

Tom,

I think Peter played the South African tour years ago. He also caddied for Gary Player in a Major.

Peter and Simon Hobday were great buddies, when Simon retired from the Champions Tour he returned to South Africa and.....married Mrs Matkovitch.

Bob

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 01:37:42 PM »

Peter and Simon Hobday were great buddies, when Simon retired from the Champions Tour he returned to South Africa and.....married Mrs Matkovitch.

"were" is the correct work i assume

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 01:53:19 PM »
Looks a lovely course matching some old & new ideas with great sucess.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back