News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Braid information
« on: March 06, 2008, 06:17:29 AM »
Is there a reliable book or article about Braid as an architect?

Steven_Biehl

Re: Braid information
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 06:36:27 AM »
There is a book call The Golf Courses of James Braid.  The author is Moretom or Mortom or something like that.  I think it is pretty hard to find.
"He who creates a cricket ground is at best a good craftsman but the creator of a great hole is an artist.  We golfers can talk, and sometimes do talk considerable nonsense too, about our favourite holes for hours together." - Bernard Darwin, Golf

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 06:45:12 AM »
Thans Steven, I'll have a search. Mark.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 07:02:37 AM »
Mark

My topic on the 8th of Feb 'How many courses are there in Scotland'
mentioned Ernie Payne. His sister-in-law is the great, great granddaughter of James Braid. I will e-mail him later to day to see if they can recommend any books. Will post what I get, but will take a few days.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 07:08:06 AM »
Melvyn, That's very kind. It's for genuine research. I'm involved in the 75th anniversary book for Mere Golf and Country Club in Cheshire which has a Braid course, still little altered from Braid's original.

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 07:35:11 AM »
Mere G&CC

Founded 1934

"The members of Timperley golf club did not own the course they had since the latter part of the previous century and were keen to move.  At the same time three directors of Marbury Hall Country Club had resigned and were looking for a new site for another such venture.  Mere New Hall came onto the market and proved an ideal site for a championship standard course.

Braid and George Ducan, the club's first professional were given the task of laying out this parkland course, featuring the mere from which the club takes it name.  Duncan had been the professional at Timperley where he played against Braid and Vardon in 1906, partnered by Charles Mayo.  The two older players won handsomely though Duncan often turned the tables on Braid later.

After initial discussions, Braid 'set off like a pointer dog, along almost the exact route of the course as it is today.'  In Braid's opinion the course would stand the test of time because of the  sandy soil and fine drainage.   He took just one day to complete his plan.  Duncan supervised the construction and the first nine holes were ready for play by January 1st, 1935.  The full eighteen opened on Saturday, May 11th, 1935.

A number of important tournaments have been held at Mere and the club commemorates its designer with the 'Braid Lounge' in the luxurious clubhouse, rebuilt after a disastrous fire in 1975."

The Golf Courses of James Braid - John Moreton 1996

There is a brief description of some of the holes as well.

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 07:55:16 AM »
Mark

Have sent my e-mail to Ernie, mentioned books/article and Mere. Sean is again well informed.

Just have to wait to see if Ernie can give us some more info. Get back to you when I hear from Ernie.

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 09:01:06 AM »
There is information on the James Braid Golf Trails in Scotland at:

http://golf.visitscotland.com/jbcollection/

At one time, there was a very nice brochure available on Braid and the courses he designed in Scotland. I do not know if it is still available.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 09:40:58 AM »
Mark

My topic on the 8th of Feb 'How many courses are there in Scotland'
mentioned Ernie Payne. His sister-in-law is the great, great granddaughter of James Braid. I will e-mail him later to day to see if they can recommend any books. Will post what I get, but will take a few days.

Melvyn
As a member of a Braid designed course I'll be interested to hear what books are available.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 09:48:33 AM »
Andrew

If Ernie provides me with any information, I will post it on GCA.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 10:02:04 AM »
Thanks Melvyn
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 10:06:58 AM »
I know Sean Arble (Pennard member) is very keen on Braid, sounds from his post above that he has a copy of Moreton's 1996 book on Braid.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 10:32:23 AM »
Further to Sean's info, the members left Timperley because the local council put up the rent. Mere is now a very well-healed club, while Altrincham Municipal, which now plays on the Timperley site, is pretty rough and ready.  Incidentally Mere must be one of the few golf clubs which opened with a swimming gala.

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 11:46:05 AM »
There is an article in a recent Golf Monthly about him.

JMorgan

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 12:02:48 PM »
Mark,
Hamilton Stutt lives in Dorset and would probably be a good first-hand source of information outside of Moreton's book.
JM

David_Tepper

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 03:49:25 PM »
This is also worth a look:

http://thebraidsociety.com

Brad Huff

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 01:02:03 PM »
Brad, Thanks for the link to the Darwin book - I've ordered it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back