News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Hancock

Re: Unusual Sightings During a Round
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2002, 03:30:28 PM »
Not during a round of golf, but making rounds on the course, just this morning. We have a pair of redtail hawks that call our course home. As I drove up to the 15th green to check on aerification process, I drove next to something apparently left behind by the Hawk: A baby bunny rabbit's head, thats all, just the head with his eyes wide open! What a magnificent way to go.

Joe
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2002, 04:23:45 PM »
I'm still cringing at all the rats I saw scampering around in the wetlands at a course called Regatta Bay in Destin.  Some had even been run over by carts and lay squished on the cart paths. :P   I mentioned my disgust to a course employee and was told they weren't rats but rather "voles."  Mmmhmm.  They tried to pass them off as being cute.  I can't imagine the types of trouble those living on that course have.
www.feedtheball.com -- a podcast about golf architecture and design
@feedtheball

Dave Q

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2002, 04:59:00 PM »
Weequahic Park (a city course in Newark, New Jersey) has to be the "stolen ball" capital of the golfing world.  I played there a handful of times back in the mid 1990's.  

In addition to the regular sightings of "street urchins" darting out onto the fairways to steal your ball, on one occasion we had a ball-stealing stray dog follow us for an entire round.  The dog initially appeared on the 2nd tee, leaping out of a nearby clump of bushes on to the tee box just as I was teeing off.  The pooch never left us alone, picking up our balls off of the greens on pretty much every hole thereafter.        

While one of the scruffiest courses around, Weequahic always ranked high for entertainment value...

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2002, 05:52:23 PM »
About three months ago we spotted a young bald eagle at our course. He was perched on the corner of our pump house, which is right next to our irrigation pond, and he was startled and flew away as we approached him to get a closer look. We saw him again the next day and we were able to get a little closer before he flew off. He has been back every day since and is quickly emptying our ponds of fish. Here in the Az desert he has found his own personal buffet and he is comfortable enough that he doesn't even fly away when golfers pass by. It's really a sight to watch him leave his perch and grab an unsuspecting fish with his huge talons. He eats the belly of the fish and discards the head and tail, so there's about a dozen half eaten fish on the top of our pump house. We had a strong monsoon storm come up from the south and our eagle had to share his domain with a couple of pelicans for a few days. They also enjoyed the abundant small bass and bluegill that the lake offered. Keep in mind we are at least 200 miles from the Sea of Cortez, so it had to be a long trip home for them.  

mike_beene

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2002, 07:58:47 PM »
A few years ago on the beach under the second shots on number 8 at Pebble an apparently drunk naked man was hassleing some women.It kind of ruined the beauty of the second shot.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2002, 08:09:49 PM »
Dave Q;

Your mention of Weequahic Park jogged my memory as to what truly was the most unusual sighting I've had on a golf course.  

I knew the neighborhood was questionable, so I came up with what I thought was a brilliant idea to play there.  I would arrive at daybreak, presumably when most of the townsfolk were retiring into bed after a weekend night, play a quick round, and hightail it out of town.

I arrived though empty city streets, and felt a surge of confidence.  My optimism was shortlived, however, when I arrived at the clubhouse to find it still padlocked.  However, a few other early arrivals were milling around outside, so I got in line with them.

Shortly thereafter, someone came and opened up, and when I went inside and announced my status as a single, I was told to head to the starter's hut outside to buy my ticket.

I went up to the starter's shack, and asked if I could possibly get a game.  The starter stared at me blankly for several uncomfortable seconds, and it was only then that I noticed that beads of sweat were rolling down his face in the chilly morning air.  Several more seconds passed in silence, until I saw his eyes start to roll back in his head..

In a flash, he darted up, and out the side door of the shed, and rushed over to a hedgerow where he proceeded to hurl orangish, projectile vomit in a frightening spray.  

A minute later, he returned to the shed, took my money, gave me a ticket...completely nonplussed, and told me I was on the tee with a threesome.

I swear to God that it was the first and only time I've ever swung and missed on the first tee!  

carmelkyd

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2002, 02:37:21 PM »
Here at Rancho Canada (in Carmel) we used to have problems with coots (mud hens...call them what you will) until two Golden Eagles took up residence in the hills.  One day, standing near the 17th on the east course, I had an eagle come in no more than 10 feet over my head and take out a coot less than 15 feet away from me.  After the feathers had settled, the eagle looked at me as if to say, "this is mine...whataya gonna do about it?"  I finished the hole and then had to walk all the way around the pond to get to the next tee since he was still enjoying his lunch right next to the cart path.

Bob_Gold

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2002, 02:58:54 PM »
At Westover Golf Course on the grounds of Westover AFB in Western Mass. you have the privelege of playing underneath C-40 (I think that's what they are called) airplanes (I think it's the world's largest cargo plane) practicing take off and landings.  I swear you could hit them with a 9 Iron.

angie

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2002, 05:30:03 PM »
I was playing a round at the Northland CC in Duluth with this really rich department store owner. (He was a friend of a friend, I don't know any rich people.) Anyway, we're standing on the 17th green, and this guy drops his pants to his ankles. He's standing there in his boxers trying to tuck in his shirt. Meanwhile there is a foursome of women on the first green, which is really close.

Me and my friend, had to turn our backs and walk off the green, because we were laughing so hard we had tears in our eyes.

I think it was a deliberate detraction ploy, because I finished double bogey, double bogey, and had to pay that rich guy some money.

oh that's nothing!  i was playing northland (ain't it a great old course -- ross, you know) with my hub & m-in-law when our 4th, a certain shall remain nameless really rich insurance agent, great friend of my father-in-L too, stepped off the tee box (i forget which hole) and took a pee.  very embarassed half way thru "ohmigod i forgot there were women present!"  other than that the best thing i ever saw was a fox run out and grab my dad's titleist off the fairway and cart it off into the woods. duluth.  nothing like it!  ;D

ace12

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2002, 06:47:21 PM »
In Knob Noster, Mo. while I was playing their course, the stealth bombers are stationed there, and you can see them fly over from time to time.  The thing is though, if one is coming in from behind it will scare you because you can't hear them until they are right over you.  Sorry I don't have a picture, they are quite the site to see.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back