News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

allysmith

Re: Do unknown winners indicate poor courses & set
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2002, 03:31:52 AM »
Gentlemen,

It would appear, having already contributed to this argument on more than one occasion, that the problem is not one of bad courses but one of recognition.

Its a shame you use Wayne Grady as an example of an 'unknown' he was well known on this side of the pond. A similar argument can be made for Justin Leonard. He is still virtually unknown as a 'Major Winner'.

The problem, it appears to me, is that unless you are prepared to watch tv from outside the US you will never get to know 'foreign' players. I cite the example of 'Jumbo' Ozaki without doubt he was one of the most famous golfers in the world outside the US. In my opinion he was grossly over rated but he was 'Well Known.

In order that an objective view is reached we must all become less insular in our golfing viewing.

Roll on the Ryder Cup, Jingoism, anal retention, bad manners, zenophobia et all . Bloody Magic.
By the end of September, Samuel Ryder's trophy will be well embedded in the US (I reckon a 5 point win for the US)
and we can get back to just enjoying the game we all love.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Paul Richards

« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2002, 04:42:41 AM »
"Perhaps the strongest measure of the golfing challenge at
Club XYZ is made by the quality of the champions it has produced."

To me, this sums it all up.

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Robert_Walker

« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2002, 05:29:13 PM »
Trevino was not unknown when he won the 1968 OPEN at Oak Hill. The year before, at Baltusrol, he finished in the top 10. That is how he qualified for the OPEN at Oak Hill.

Daly was definitely on the radar screen in 1991, even though he was 1st Alternate.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2002, 07:39:56 PM »
Sorry but I haven't read any of the posts other then Tom's initial one.  However, I will say once again that there is (there can be) a difference between a "great test of golf" and "a great golf course".  Most of us here are "inspired" by great architecture which at times might not present the most demanding of tests!  Hazeltine in my opinion is one of those great tests of golf but one that doesn't necessarily "inspire".  

The leaderboard can vary all over the map these days as the quality of players is very deep!  I don't believe the winner indicates the quality of the course or  a poor set up.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back