News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Shamleffer

Which Massachusetts course would you want to belong?
« on: November 05, 2019, 10:36:20 AM »
MassGolf just posted this on Twitter

Can not disagree with anyone's choice.  Each of these courses are so unique from each other, that I can understand why they may be chosen.

My personal choice would probably be Myopia Hunt.  But TCC, Old Sandwich, and Eastward Ho are each also very tempting.

Which Massachusetts course would you select if you could have a free membership?
And why?  Is it just the course, does the clubhouse matter, the surrounding views, the membership?
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Michael Pelliccione

Re: Which Massachusetts course would you want to belong?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 10:38:57 AM »
Tough question but have to give the nod to Eastward Ho!   The course is a blast to play and not to mention summers in Chatham ain't so bad...

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 10:52:16 AM »
Any one of them would be awesome, but I would have Kittansett at #1, followed by Eastward Ho!, Myopia, Essex, TCC, and Boston Golf Club

Steve Lapper

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 11:00:02 AM »
Eastward Ho by a mile!

Essex CC a runner-up!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Brad Tufts

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 11:02:34 AM »
Tedesco!  ;D

Three of my top 7 courses in Mass are not listed!

Although my personal list includes all of those in the Top 11.

So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

J_ Crisham

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 11:14:47 AM »
In Boston/suburbs it would be Charles River, a very under the radar Ross.  Outside of the Boston area Eastward Ho is the obvious answer for me.  Is there a more "fun" course to play than Eastward Ho?

MCirba

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 12:20:31 PM »
Seaside - Eastward Ho!
Inland - Myopia Hunt

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Bill Crane

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 01:14:57 PM »
Any one of them would be awesome, but I would have Kittansett at #1, followed by Eastward Ho!, Myopia, Essex, TCC, and Boston Golf Club

Kittansett !!   Although I have not played Essex or Myopia.   Really like TCC.
I love Eastward Ho having played it about a dozen times, and it is beautiful, but some of the fairways are so sloped as to be difficult, and the ball usually ends up in the same place in the fairway on some holes.
Played Kittansett three times and it really grows on you, and there are also some fascinating holes and features.   It is also beautiful, and a lovely walk to boot.
Call me biased. 
 ;)

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 02:39:55 PM »
TCC all day!
H.P.S.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 02:49:52 PM »
I am surprised Essex didn't make their top list.
TCC, Essex, and ... is it still free????  Ok then Eastward Ho.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Amol Yajnik

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 09:06:37 PM »
Very easy choice for me: TCC since I live about 2 miles away from the course.  After that in the greater Boston area, I would take Essex CC with the caveat that I have not played Old Sandwich or Winchester, but have played most others listed here.

Tim Martin

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2019, 08:45:26 AM »
Sankaty Head Golf Club

John Foley

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2019, 11:16:38 AM »
Kittansett by a mile !!! Old Sandwich & Myopia tied for second.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Bill Crane

Re: Which Massachusetts course would you want to belong? New
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2019, 01:05:41 PM »
error
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 01:46:26 PM by Bill Crane »

Sean Leary

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2019, 02:30:08 PM »
Tedesco!  ;D

Three of my top 7 courses in Mass are not listed!

Although my personal list includes all of those in the Top 11.

Essex, Boston and Concord?

Brad Tufts

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2019, 03:04:03 PM »
Just one knucklehead's opinion, but:
(Golf courses only, not club experience, etc.)

Top 10: Essex, TCC, Myopia, OS, Kittansett, Boston, Taconic, Salem, Concord, Eastward Ho
Next 10: Winch, Worcester, Hyannisport, The River, Brae Burn, Plymouth, Longmeadow, Oyster Harbors, Tedesco, Orchards
Next 5: Woods Hole, Oak Hill, George Wright, Black Rock, Vesper

Potential omissions because I haven't played them yet: Belmont, Sankaty, Nantucket GC, Vineyard Club (new version), Wianno, Miacomet, Cohasset, Blue Hill, etc.

T10 Public would be:  Taconic, GWright, Red Tail, International (Oaks), Wachusett, Waverly Oaks, Wahconah, Butter Brook,  Pinehills (Nicklaus), and Cape Cod National.  Three of those are rarely fully public, so I'd add CC of Greenfield, Cape Cod CC, and South Shore.  Miacomet on Nantucket is the only relevant public I have not played in MA.

For a small state, we pack quite the punch, and that does not include some great courses in other states within 75 miles of Boston!

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2019, 04:36:58 PM »
T10 Public would be:  Taconic, GWright, Red Tail, International (Oaks), Wachusett, Waverly Oaks, Wahconah, Butter Brook,  Pinehills (Nicklaus), and Cape Cod National.  Three of those are rarely fully public, so I'd add CC of Greenfield, Cape Cod CC, and South Shore.  Miacomet on Nantucket is the only relevant public I have not played in MA.

I would put the Ranch ahead of Butter Brook. Probably Crumpin Fox ahead of it too. And maybe Blackstone National.

The back 9 at Butter Brook has some interesting holes, but overall I’m not a huge fan. Also, I’m pretty sure the International is back to fully private, sadly.

Cob Carlson

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2019, 10:38:32 PM »
another knucklehead's opinion...amazing roster of courses here in Massachusetts...my favorite 20...

Eastward Ho, Essex, Oyster Harbors, Orchards, Plymouth, Myopia, TCC, Kittansett, George Wright, Winchester, Charles River, Whitinsville, Berkshire Hills, [size=78%]Waubeeka, Taconic, [/size][/size][size=78%]Pocasset,  [/size][/size][size=78%]Highland Links, Tedesco, William Devine, Cohasset... [/size][size=78%]

Carl Nichols

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2019, 10:21:29 AM »
Sankaty.  It might not be the "best" course in Massachusetts, but because of its location and its links-like design, it's the one I'd most enjoy playing for the rest of my life.  Oh, and it would mean I belonged to a club on Nantucket, which would be amazing.   

Jim Franklin

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2019, 12:17:39 PM »
Essex, TCC, Myopia
Mr Hurricane

Jeff Churchill

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2019, 08:55:23 PM »
Eastward HO
Essex
TCC

Brad Tufts

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2019, 10:03:07 AM »
I could see the Ranch ahead of Butter Brook.

I'm not a huge fan Crumpin-Fox, and Blackstone is fine if unspectacular.

Where to place Whitinsville is a quandary too.  Probably comfortably in the 10-15 range if we are including 9s.

I've argued with a couple friends on TD's "Whitinsville + Hooper = T50 US golf course" pronouncement.  Surely that would be a very good course, but there are just so many others in this country that are great.  Hooper is non-Mass. of course, but I'm not as super-high on it as others.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2019, 02:11:53 PM »
I could see the Ranch ahead of Butter Brook.

I'm not a huge fan Crumpin-Fox, and Blackstone is fine if unspectacular.

That just shows how crappy the public course option is in Mass. Lots of courses. Not many good ones. And really not any great ones except maybe Taconic. George Wright could be great with a little work.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2019, 03:45:52 PM »
I liked Butter Brook because its close to Boston and it tried to inject a bit of quirk to the design, which is admirable.

Crumpin-Fox was one of my first ventures out to play a far-flung (from the North Shore anyways) public course in my late teens, and I enjoyed it then, but I feel like it pales when compared to all the nice places I've been lucky enough to see since.  Also being the "home of Rulewich" is a weird aspect, as RR is certainly polarizing on GCA.  I've only played it twice ever, and the last time was probably 2005 or so...I remember a few holes that were just too narrow.  My pick in that general area is CC of Greenfield...rock outcroppings, small greens, railroad tracks...very fun!

I've been to Blackstone a few times...for me it falls into the "not bad but not noteworthy" along with Shaker Hills, Pinehills, etc.

Agreed that Mass. is lacking for publics compared to our all-world privates...but a fun trip could be had playing only the old munis and Golden Age courses....GW, FP, South Shore, Gannon, Beverly Golf & Tennis, Sandy Burr, Wachusett, CC of Greenfield, Wahconah, Berkshire Hills and CC of Pittsfield accept some public play in the fall, etc.  Then add a few nines...Whitinsville pops up on golfnow sometimes...Amesbury, Rockport..there are plenty of these...so its not all bad!

Not so great for the public list-chaser perhaps, but New England golf is great because you can play Golden Age for low/medium dollars and still get the vibes and foliage in the Fall, and some great holes.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back