News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

henrye

Restoring a Classic Canadian Course
« on: October 07, 2002, 08:34:22 AM »
Here is a piece from a Canadian publication called Score Golf which insinuates the impact which course ratings/rankings have.  I'm not sure if Brantford Country Club is making the changes for this reason, but I found the article interesting.  While this is being "re-printed without permission" I think it only fair to mention their web site is "scoregolf.ca".

Restoring a Classic Canadian Course

September 30,2002
By Rick Young

No one should underestimate the influence wielded by ScoreGolf Magazine’s Top 100.
The biennial ranking, first introduced in 1988, is the benchmark for golf courses across Canada, and while its intent is to incite genuine interest and frank discussion, it’s overall effect cannot be overstated.

For these rankings are looked upon in many industry quarters as serious business. Just ask my esteemed Score editor Bob Weeks, who unjustifiably has bore the brunt of 14 years worth of angry e-mails, phone calls and letters from those with a differing opinion on where their favourite course should be in a particular ranking. (Fortunately, Bob has very thick skin).

Why so contentious? Score’s Top 100 ranking can impact a course on a variety of levels. First, there are the marketing and promotional opportunities of a ranking placement. Then there is something I call, ‘confirmation of status’ or so called ‘stamp of approval’. This is of particular interest for travelling golfers who seek assurances of quality. Again, a spot on the top 100 is solid verification. Finally there is the image factor, the sense of pride golfers have for their course. A move up or down? That can drastically alter perception. (Of course, don’t kid yourself. All of the aforementioned factors can also influence the bottom line).

One such course that has felt the sting of a considerable downward slide in the Top 100 is stately Brantford Country Club. As high as 10th in the 1988 inaugural ranking, the Stanley Thompson design remained a top 15 fixture until 1996 when it unceremoniously plummeted from 14th to 42nd.

Perched on the banks of the Grand River, Brantford made an initial recovery, moving up 10 places to 32nd in 1998 but free fell again in 2000 to 48th, its lowest point ever. In 2002, Brantford finds itself higher at 36th, but still nowhere close to its original top 10 standing.

Provisions have been made to address that. When the rankings come out in 2004 panelists who have made a pilgrimage to Brantford will judge its merits based on a new multi-million dollar clubhouse and some indispensable course restoration by Canadian architect Doug Carrick. The combination has seemingly given Brantford a new lease on life.
“We’ve always had a course that we’ve been proud of and a course that has garnered a lot of rave reviews amongst golfing traditionalists who enjoy the classic layouts,” explains Brantford General Manager, Denis Matte. “It’s been felt for quite some time that we had a clubhouse facility that wasn’t in keeping with the stature of the golf course. Having said that, we also had some conditioning issues that needed to be addressed. In both cases, pride did play a considerable role in returning Brantford to its past stature.”

The clubhouse was the focal point. A tired 40-year-old building with little character and lacking in overall efficiency Brantford’s membership was at an impasse. Fifty-nine per cent of respondents in 1997 suggested refurbishing but a required two-thirds majority to move forward was not attained. Still, the message was clear; something had to be done.

It was, But on a much grander scale. A series of sound decisions and timely events over a four-year period brought a new clubhouse onto Brantford’s radar screen and eventually into full view on June 16, 2002. And what a clubhouse it is. Designed by Burlington architect, Tim Fanstone, the $5.8 million facility is as elegant as it is comfortable and fits the Brantford persona; timeless, classic and steeped in golf tradition.

“In our discussions with Tim we told him we wanted a building that would mirror our age and the club’s historical place in Canadian golf,” says Matte, who is quick to mention Brantford’s establishment date of 1879 (making it the fourth oldest golf club in North America). “He did a marvelous job. He listened to our committees and was very flexible.”
Especially prominent in the finished product; a 425-seat main dining facility, 900 square foot pro shop, spectacular new locker rooms, 19th hole lounge (which will be re-named for course designer Stanley Thompson) and the Bruce Forbes Room in honour of the legendary Canadian golf statesman, Hall of Famer and longtime Brantford member.

As impressive as the man himself, the Forbes Room is filled with photos and mementos, much like the entire clubhouse. To walk through Brantford today is to step back into the game and the club’s historic past.

“One of our biggest regrets is Bruce never got to see it finished,” says Matte, who credits the Forbes family for much of the room’s memorabilia. “He saw the demolition of the old facility but passed away in early October 2001. One thing we wanted to highlight was our history, something that wasn’t taken advantage of in the old clubhouse. Bruce was certainly a major part of that. I’m sure he’s looking at us and continues to be very proud.”

While the novelty of the now 12-week-old clubhouse continues to keep business brisk and enthusiasm high, there is no denying its impact on profits. Just one year ago in the midst of their renovations, Brantford had considerable membership vacancies. Today, there are 73 on a waiting list, a number that equates to approximately 4.5 years.

“Use of the club is very high and that’s to be expected,” smiles Matte. “Members are bringing guests back out for golf and dinner but there’s no sign of it letting up any time soon. It’s almost a re-birth of the club.”

Factoring into the Brantford resurgence is the conditioning of the golf course, particularly the fairways that were completely wiped out last August and redone. Now, under the watchful eye of new superintendent Paul Evenden, formerly at Hamilton Golf & Country Club, the wonderful Thompson design is showing signs of renewed life.
“We were serious with the clubhouse and now were serious with the golf course,” Matte says. “The fairways are only going to get better. Were addressing our bunkers right now and over the next couple of years hope to have Doug (Carrick) completely renovate them. As for our tees, our traffic is in the 30,000 round area so they are a little small. We definitely have the room there to expand. Paul has brought back some focus to us. He was groomed at Hamilton under Rod Trainor so he knows what a Top 10 golf course should look like.”

As for that all-important Score Top 100 ranking, Matte is brimming with confidence.

“I think were a top 20 club in Canada and we deserve to be there and we will be there,” he says. “It takes time for people to come back and know us again. It’s like renewing an old acquaintance. But when those panelists do come back I can promise you one thing. They are going to see a very different Brantford Golf & Country Club.”

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Jeff Mingay

Re: Restoring a Classic Canadian Course
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2002, 11:20:43 AM »
henrye,

I just read Rick's column this morning at the website: scoregolf.com, and enjoyed it as well.

If I'm not mistaken though, Brantford was originally laid out by Stanley Thompson's oldest brother, Nicol, who was the long-time pro at Hamilton G&CC and also an accomplished golf course architect during the 1910s and '20s. In fact, Nicol and Toronto Golf Club's long-time pro, George Cumming, started young Stanley in the business.

Thompson, Cumming & Thompson of Toronto was Canada's most productive golf course design and construction firm during the early 1920s. The American outfit, Lewis & Valentine, eventually purchased the construction side of Thompson, Cumming & Thompson's business at some point. Stanley formed his own company shortly thereafter and went on to build Jasper (1925), Banff (1927) and St. George's (1929, establishing himself as one of the world's premier golf course architects!

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2002, 11:32:15 AM »
Jeff,
The little I know of Brantford's history you are correct.

I do not even know when Thompson was on site, because the course credits the date as 1906, but Thompson would have been 12.

How many times did the course move?  Was Thompson's work renovation, or original?

Ben

ian

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2002, 04:52:27 PM »
Ben, I have the history at work. I'll check for you, you may need to remind me. The course used to start on the fourth, and the current configuration is Robbie Robinsons.

Jeff, we may or may not have talked about Brantford before. I agree with Nicol being the architect, but it has not been proved either way. Again I'll check the history.

The reason given by panalists for its "fall" was the course was way too tight to be a fair test of golf and the conditioning was inconsistant. About 100 very large trees have come down in the last three years. Suprise, the conditioning improved too. The trees were so tough in spots that you needed to hook or snap-fade to make shots.

Brantford is a great course and that never changed, we just went through a love affair with new golf courses a while back. Now were back into the history. So the cycle continues.

For what its worth, I think I know how Nicol feels.

ian

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2002, 09:00:52 PM »

3rd hole 206 yard, par 3

8th hole, 165 yardpar 3

18th hole, par 5
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:10 PM by -1 »

Jeff Mingay

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2002, 05:48:38 AM »
Ian,

I've discovered that ALL of those courses designed and constructed in the Thompson, Cumming & Thompson era are today being attributed to Stanley Thompson. Of course, because he's since become the most famous of the threesome, clubs want to be associated with this name; which is unfortunate for the legacies of Nicol Thompson and George Cumming, but... that's another subject, entirely.

Brantford looks great in those photos! Sadly, it's one of the great courses not far from my home that I'm yet to visit.

Hats off to the club. It's great to hear the members and administrators at Brantford are in tune with their club's history and its significance to Canadian golf. And that the focus is on restoring and preserving that history...

Based on Rick Young's report, I'm as anxious to see the new clubhouse as I am to see the golf course!

ian

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2002, 10:51:18 AM »
Jeff,

The clubhouse is excellent. I personally think that Cumming is getting the shortest straw of all. He has routed more courses than any golfer would ever guess. There are some great fours but I have no digital images of the fours. Later this year.

Ian

Jeff Mingay

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2002, 05:49:42 AM »
I agree, Ian. George Cumming is nearly forgotten these days in the field of golf course architecture in Canada.  

Cornish & Whitten list Cumming and Nicol Thompson as the architects of Brantford (1920). And Cumming is also noted as having laid-out Mississauga G&CC (1906), and the original 9-holes at Windermere House in Muskoka, in The Architects of Golf.  

I'm also pretty sure that Cumming laid-out Sarnia G&CC. And, again, I suspect that several other early 1920s Canadian courses designed by "Thompson, Cumming & Thompson", that are attributed to Stanley Thompson today, were probably laid-out by Cumming.

ian

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2002, 09:19:43 AM »
As promiced, a quick history of the club:
4 original holes holes at "vinegar hill" 1870-now the main city hospital location
1879 formal organization of club, same site
moved to "terrace hill"-now arrowdale golf club
move to "glenmount" (current site) (9 holes)-approx 1906
expanded to eighteen in 1919-1920 on
designed by George Cumming and Nicol Thompson (no mention of Stan)
Course had major revisions by Robbie Robinson in 1960. Of note, he did eleeminate back to back par threes on the back nine.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back