News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael_Choate

New Course: Black Sheep Golf Club
« on: October 11, 2002, 08:51:52 AM »
I had the opportunity to play a new course outside of Chicago called Black Sheep Golf Club located in Sugar Grove.    The course was designed by David Esler.  In the interest of full disclosure, David is a friend of mine, but I can still say objectively that David has done a very nice job.  The course (which has three nines but is numbered 1-27) is designed in a links style and is routed over some very nice rolling terain, almost all of which according to David, was already present.  For those of you familiar with Northern Illinois, that in and of itself is unusual.  

Although the fairways are generously wide, the best angle of approach is typically found by playing close to the edge of one side or another which is usually guarded by a bunker that requires you to work the ball into the preferred position. The greens are appropirately sized and fairly undulating.  There are also a couple of holes where alternative routes are provided with appropriate risk/reward scenarios.  For example, the par five 23rd requires you to either go long right with your second shot through some narrow bunkers to open up the green or short left.  Short left, however, leaves you with a third shot over an intimidating bunker to the green which is elevated and very narrow from that angle.  The surface of the green is also obstructed from this angle.  The largest greens are typically divided into two/three sections by the use of swales and slopes and, therefore, smaller than they appear.  Being on the wrongside is in three putt invite.  The par five greens are generally small.  

The course is seeded in a mixture of three different strains of bent grass and is meant to be played firm.  It has the look and in some places the feel of fescue. Unfortunately, the original super didn't necessarily get this concept and the course is a little soft in places.  A new super, previously at Chicago Golf, has been hired, so things should firm up.  The greens were a little slow although still challenging given the undulations and swales. The course is surrounded by miles of farm land so it is very peaceful and quiet.  Zonig laws should protect against development.  The wind was fairly calm on the day we played but generally blows pretty hard so you get a true links feel.  We did not play with a prevailing wind and as a result  did not get the full effect but the routing has taken the prevailing conditions into effect i.e long par fives are typically downwind, shorter holes into the wind etc.

You can play run up shots in just about every hole and the bunkering is particularly good on the "third" nine with nice flash-up type/ irregular and very natural looking bunkers.  The bunkers on the first nine (did not get to play the second nine) are similar in style but do not tend to have the sand flashing up as high.  These bunkers will likely get tweaked so that they are more like the third nine bunkers and thus fewer lies on the downslope in longish grass.

The "courses" are flexible, anywhere from 6,400 yeards to 7,000 yards to accomodate all tastes with some neat "brain teaser" holes including a 305 diagonal par four.  On this hole, you have the choice of hitting driver overa diagonal creek guarded additionallyby some bunkers on an angle that then opens up the green which slants back to front at that point or hitting a safe two/thee iron into the fairway leaving yourself with a 100-125 yards but a view of only about 1/2 to 1/4 of the green ( a slope blocks the view) which is pitched  left to right from this approach angle and a prevailing right to left wind.  Another of my favorite holes is the 130 yard (25th hole).  The left front to right back diagonal green is elevated with bunkers cut into the far right face in a style that looks alot like the old pictures of Cypress.  The wind generally blows rights to left so you have to put out over the bunkers or cut it into the wind to get at the pin.  I could go on but suffice to say I think anyone playing the course will find it very enjoyable and testing.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Paul Richards

Re: New Course: Black Sheep Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2002, 11:35:03 AM »
Black Sheep was a very impressive course.

Dave:

That was Shooter that hit that shot!
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

rgeorge

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2002, 12:23:37 PM »
Great course and it is MEN ONLY too!!!!!!!  Take that Martha and choke on it!!!!!!

Brad Klein

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2002, 05:57:12 PM »
Personally, I find the idea of a club being all-men as pretty infantile.

Nonetheless, the design of this Black Sheep place is quite impressive. Wide open site, wide fairwaysa that get pinched down and S-curve, neat angles into and around greens and a lot of substantial chipping areas all around - including some fairway behind the green - all add up to a very interesting layout. It's worth taking a serirous look at. Too bad not all of our raters are able to play it, though. That's inexcusable.

Paul Richards

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2002, 03:44:25 AM »
Probably most people, even here on GCA, are not familiar with the name of or work of David Esler.

Dave has been a Chicago-area architect with some redesigns to his credit.

However, I think once more people (yes, men) come to Black Sheep and see the fine work that Dave has done here, he will start to get some national recognition.

Black Sheep is an excellent golf course.
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back