News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Hancock

Monterey Trip
« on: October 11, 2002, 03:40:39 PM »
OK, how do I make a romantic trip to Monterey with my wife an architectural thread?

My first trip to CA, and we will be there from Dec. 7 thru Dec. 14. I have had some good advice from fellow GCA'er Gary Nelson, as we discussed this trip while playing golf yesterday. Made it tough to concentrate on hitting quality golf shots.

So, what do we see? Where do we play? What GCA'ers should we try to meet? We have absolutely no itenerary to follow, other than flights at this point.

I don't want to have the total emphasis of the trip to be golf(yea, right!), but I would imagine there are some must see/do/plays while we're there. How do I set priorities, and who would like to try to get together for a round?

I've met a few GCA'ers, and as many have said before me...all have been great! If we meet some of you, I'm sure it would only add to a wonderful experience.

All help appreciated,

Joe
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

A_Clay_Man

Re: Monterey Trip
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2002, 04:21:11 PM »
J- I lived in Pacific grove for 6 years so I can help some. I do need to know your budget but even so there are numerous places where even if your budgets unlimited, why pay more?

Does she golf? My old home course (PG) has added some lovely flower beds amongst the rough and tumble dunes. Perhaps she'll like those. Besides it will add a nice cosey comfy feeling to contrast with all the swearing when in the iceplant. ;)

December is a good month for deal seeking from some of the other B&B's. Don't waste your much of your money on the Seven Gables or their other properties. Same is true for the Company (PB). Save it for the golf. Speaking of golf, play at Pg and Fort Ord if it's wet and rainy. If your there on a weekend and can't get a tee time show up at PG before 730 and play in the 8 oclock game.(Tell them Adam sent you) The players will welcome you and are almost all very considerate golfers. If your a stick they might make you a captain, but don't worry others will help you pick.  

Cannery Row has some good food (Whaling Station) and a nice Romantic Hotel (name slips me, affiliated with the Victorian Inn). The Martine inn is probably the best value for accomidations, though not cheap. Right on the bay, Great B&B!

The "fish wife" next to "the beachcommer" is where the food is not a ripoff and most locals eat there. Also under local knowledge, There is wonderful Mexican joint in the shopping mall up the hill called "Micheals"(next to Albertsons), no frills or thrills just no junk and everything is fresh and cooked to order. Peppers, on Forest ave. is also good.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2002, 02:41:04 PM »
JHancock:

My wife and I spent our Honeymoon in Monterey seven (7) years ago.

I played golf in the morning  8)and she spent time in the shops in Carmel and some of the museums. ;)  

In the afternoons we explored the area including going down to Big Sur, etc. :)

In the evenings we enjoyed several of the great restaurants in that area and there are many.  

Adam can probably tell you better but there are very good romantic places to go and the area itself in intoxicating.

Don't miss the Bagpipes at Spanish Bay, with a drink in hand as the sun sets into the Pacific.

For a very good romantic dinner don't miss the Olde Bath House on Lovers point in Pacific Grove.  Just up the road from the golf course.

You'll have a great time.

Best,
Dave

Stan Dodd

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2002, 03:57:39 PM »
Joe,
My wife and I have spent many romantic weekends in Monterey.  I would disagree with Adam in that a couple of nights at The Seven Gables would make you a hero with the wife.  It is very dear$$$, but if you can swing it.
Try Vivolos Chowder House in PG local spot, not fancy, but great food.
Take the drive to Big Sur and have lunch at Nepenthe.  Sit on the deck and enjoy the view.  A couple of burgers and fires will set you back about 25.00 but it is great.  Stroll Fishermans Wharf and Cannery Row.  Take the Board walk from Asilomar by Spanish Bay and out to Point Joe ( see the "new" MPCC.
Golf PG is the budget choice, let your budget decide the rest all have been talked about here.  Take the drive up to Santa Cruz, play Pasa.  If the surf is running stop out at Pleasure Point.  Great spot to have a picnic and watch surfers up close on big waves.
Many fond memories for my bride and I.  Wish you many just as good. Enjoy.
Cheers
Stan Dodd

Joe Hancock

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2002, 04:39:54 PM »
Many thanks so far!

I think I am going to be a hero without any undo heroics. After 20 years of marriage, we're still great friends.

My wife (Trixanne) does golf...around a 90-100 shooter on layouts of challenge, low to mid 80's at home. I hope to be able to make contact with the super's at the courses we end up considering. I can't imagine going to Monterey and not making an attemp at playing PB, but I could be naive about getting on. PG sounds like a fun time, with a better chance of actually playing there. My gut feeling says we should play 2 rounds of golf in our week of bliss.

Keep the ideas rolling as I am taking notes on all of this. And seriously, if anyone in the area would like to interupt our romantic rendezvous, we would be happy to meet you. Not socialites by any means, it's just that I have had great experiences meeting golfers from other parts!

Thanks again,

Joe (and Trixanne!)
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Stan Dodd

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2002, 07:25:09 PM »
Joe, My wife thinks I am a hero if I take her some place she really enjoys ;D.  After 24 years we are still best friends.  We are headed there in two weeks.  My son played golf at Cal State Monterey and is in school there...
Try The Gosby House In downtown PG greatorch to sit on and watch the Christmas lights, and affordable.
Stan

Dennis_Harwood

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2002, 10:03:50 PM »
Joe--

You have received very good input--

Just a little more. In Carmel  Le Coq de Oro  is a great and  very quaint restaurant-- Michael and Anton is very good

But rather than reserving in advance at one place at that time of year,  just go to Carmel in the early evening, walk the streets and look at the menus of the small restaurants on the main and adjoining streets, pick the one that looks good, and have a great meal--Take a drive down coast on Highway 1 to the Big Sur area and have lunch--If you see fresh abalone on the menu, be sure and order it--Go for the Napa wines--And order steamed artichoke(Castorville just up the coast is the world center for them)---

Don't miss the aquarium in Monterey--Take a walk on the Monterey Pier--

And for the golf--PG is going to give the feel of the coast courses, even if you can not get on the "major" courses, so I suggest you try it--  Ft Ord has two very good courses that will probably have some openings--

As for Pebble, only if you catch rain, you show up and wait and a lot of cancellations occur will you have chance to get on.

If you do get on Pebble(and don't deprive your wife if she is a golfer), you should be aware that since you are not staying at the Lodge your tab for two will likely be close to $800 total for one round(of course if you stay at the Lodge then the golf is only $300 per--if you have made tee times 6 months in advance, but the lodging is about $400 a night).

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2002, 06:27:49 AM »
My opposition to the Gables was mostly value oriented but I will admit to having intimate knowledge of the Employer/employee relationship there and I still say stay elsewhere. The Martine Inn is much classier without the faux brothel look in the burdeau(sp?)bedroom). Nepenthe will run a ton but the vistas are outstanding. Call the super at PB now and see what the schedule is like for that week. Don't trust any info given over the phone from the pro-shop. If there are no major outside events Dec. is notoriously slow. So with that info you gauge when to to attemt a walk on. Let the wife walk along at PB save her green fee. The ladies tee boxes are much to be desired and the shot requirements there are usually not conducive to beeter sex :-*.

Spanish Bay is where I would recommend the two of you have a lovely stroll with the little white ball. Try for a noon or just before tee time so you can catch all the magic on the backnine as the sun downs and the colors become alive. Having the Bagpipes playing as you play the closers, doesn't suck. If it's too windy go to poppy hills but not after any significant rainfall in the preceding week or two. Once again your budget constraints and/or personal taste would be more helpful, but if as I suspect they are not unlimited KEEP HER OUT OF CARMEL.

Scott Seward

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2002, 09:09:05 AM »
Not to make this a B and B forum but my wife worked at Seven Gables and loved the experience. As the previous post stated, your wife will love it.

Try getting on Spyglass at the twilight rate. I always loved playing the first four holes late in the afternoon.

Also, if money is no object, Poppy Hills is empty in the afternoons that time of year and you can have fun there.

ed_getka

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2002, 09:35:49 AM »
Play the back nine at PG.

The Aquarium is excellent and well worth the time.

Point Lobos in the afternoon (just south of Carmel) is a stunning place to take a short stroll.

Walk the horse trail that goes between #3 of Spyglass and #8 at Cypress Point. It is public access and you can see #1, #7, #8, #9, #13 well from there.

There is no discount for Pebble when staying at the Lodge any longer,according to the guy in the pro shop I talked to last month.

I would recommend Rosine's in Monterey for good food and very reasonable prices. A local's eatery.

Have a great time and stop by Cambridge Golf Antiquities on a Fri or Sat and say hi to Ron Muszalski when at Pebble Beach. Ron is one of the great guys in the world and you will enjoy the experience. Very cool "museum" in the shop for the historically inclined.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Jim_H

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2002, 06:54:08 AM »
If you are playing as a single, and you don't mind waiting around, you can almost always get on Pebble that time of year as a walk-on.  Just give your name to the people behind the counter--and the starter; it may be two hours, but it usually works.  Of course, it's not cheap.  But, in my opinion, it's worth it.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2002, 10:35:03 AM »
Jim H,

Three words:  Tickle Pink Inn.  Laugh if you will, then check out their web-site.  Also, whitey's recommendation of a drive down the coast to Nepenthe is spot on.  Cheeseburger in paradise!  

Regards,

Mike

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2002, 03:22:41 PM »
Dave Schmidt proves once again why he's poster of the year.

The logic and reality behind his justifying the expense of playing all three of the company courses is in my experience, "smart money".

But, not everyone can just slap down the 4-5 G's needed for the privledge. So, thats why they call Pacific grove, the poormans Pebble.

Warning Warning-This being an el nino year, temps at night could go down below freezing. 25* lowest I saw, and in PG that is a big deal. Everything usual warms up by 10:30 but there can a be backlog of all the golfers and/or even some quitters ::)

Bob-Huntley

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2002, 10:58:31 AM »
JHancock:

e-mail me at a/m address.

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back