News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Evan Fleisher

Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail
« on: October 16, 2002, 08:19:09 PM »
I know there have been some posts on this topic in the past (which I will research shortly)...

But I am headed to Prattville, Alabama in about 3 weeks and have one day available to golf.  I discovered that one of the RTJGT facilities is right there...Capitol Hill...and with three 18 hole layouts to choose from (Judge, Senator, Legislator) I am befuddled and perplexed as to which course to choose.

Can anyone offer some advice or input?  Maybe I should skip Capitol Hill altogether and try for soemthing else?  I will NOT have a car, so I cannot stray too far away from Prattville.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Andrew Roberts

Re: Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2002, 09:31:21 PM »
Evan
The buy.com tour championship is being played on what I believe to be the senator course at Capitol Hill.  The dates for the tourney are oct. 21-27.  This may interfere with your plans.  
I hope i've been of some assistance.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2002, 05:43:53 AM »
Andrew,

Thanks for that update...my golf day will be November 9th, so I hope the course is back to "normal" by then.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Wes_Pumphrey

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2002, 07:50:39 AM »
Evan:
You could check the website (rtjgolf.com).  A business contact I know played there.  The Judge course (the one nearest the river) can be wet if there has been recent rain.  I understand the distinguishing feature of the Senator is 40-60' high man made mounds.  My contact said all three courses were brutally long from the tips (7700 yds)!!!  Good luck and please report back.
Wes

RC_Stanfield (Guest)

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2002, 09:06:52 AM »
Drive the extra 30+mins to Auburn, AL and play the courses there...there are 36 holes and i would look into playing either of those....dont miss out on playing the par 3 courses if evertything else is booked.  People have posted about the par 3 courses here before.  RTJ has great par3 courses.

SL_Solow

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2002, 09:12:53 AM »
EV said he doesn't have a car

Rob Hallford

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2002, 11:52:48 AM »
Evan,

I have played all 3 at the Prattville site, and each course is different.  The Judge is a beast running down from the 200' bluff and meandering through oxbows in the Alabama river.  This course beat the @#$% out of me.  The wind was up, and even playing damn good golf from the 6700 yard tees, I was Judged... unworthy.  Just hitting the first tee shot off of the bluff to the ribbon of fairway was cool, though.  This is penal golf at its most penal.

The Legislator spends part of the time up on top of the bluff and part down in the flood plain.  Not nearly as much water as the Judge, but still challenging.  I would say it's a typical RTJ Golf Trail course with not many memorable holes, but doesn't cost as much in lost balls or greens fees.

The Senator is a feaux-links course with huge manmade mounds.  Surprisingly, this course played the softest of the 3 BY FAR, when I was there.  There are a bunch of these types of courses up here in Indy (Trophy Club, Heartland Crossing, and Purgatory), and I thought it compared pretty favorably to those, but not worth a special trip.

So, no ringing endorsements here.  I liked all 3 courses, with the WOW factor of The Judge offsetting the tough, tough conditions.  Go and play one of them, (I'd say Legislator or Judge if pushed) and be sure to drive your cart up the Sky Bridge--that's cool in and of itself.

BTW, I also strongly recommend the par-3 course in Opelika.  Normally the best land is saved for the championship layouts at a place like that, but not in this case.  Several holes either on, near, or over the lake.  We had the course to ourselves and it was very cool.  Hope this helps.

rob

Mike Hendren

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2002, 12:02:48 PM »
Evan,

I have played all three and while they have been heavily hyped,  there is little architectural merit on the site.  I believe the so-called links style course hosted the Buy.com Tour Championship, but it's really just a long layout with containment mounding.  The other two courses are a toss up with a mix of decent and indifferent golf holes.  

These are 3 to 4's on the Doak scale, but fun and worthwhile if you have the day available.  I'd suggest 36 holes of cart-ball.  Nobody walks on the RTJ Trail!  Tell 'em Bubba says hey.

Regards,

Mike

RC_Stanfield (Guest)

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2002, 05:09:21 PM »
Sorry,

skimmed thru the post of EV, I just know the area and he might be the only person to ever visit Pratville witout a car.  If I remember correctly there used to be a sign that said dont let the sun set on a ______ass.  Glad they finally took it down, cause it was on the interstate.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2002, 06:52:13 PM »
Shelly...thanks for standing up for me in my absence! ;)

RC...no worries, mate!  At least I'll be the first at something!  I am going down to Prattville to learn how to become a freight/truck broker, and the school is providing us with shuttle service to/from both the airport and hotel, so I thought a car was not necessary.  Wonder how I'm going to get to dinner every night, and the golf course that Saturday?  Oh well, never mind, I'll find a way.

Thanks for the feedback so far...I know that Capitol Hill is nothing to really write home about, it just seemed very convenient given the circumstances, and hell, golf is golf in my book (taking a page from Mr. Huckster) so you get what you make of it.  I hear there is also a country club in town...anyone know anything about it?

My first instinct is to play The Judge just to see what all the fuss is about...maybe they will even let me walk! :D

Lou_Duran

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2002, 07:31:15 PM »
Played all three a couple of times last year, and prefer Senator, followed by Judge, then Legislator.  Judge has some scenic holes, but it was not in very good shape (may be newer than the other two).  Senator can be walked, specially in November, when it is not hot.  It is different than the other courses I played on the Trail; definitely a manufactured links-styled course complete with high native grasses.  I thought that it was a lot of fun, with good variety, and some bite.  It had bent grass greens, which were in very good shape in late May of 2001.  I probably wouldn't go out of my way to play the other two, but if I am back in the area, I would play Senator again.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back