News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Upcoming Feature Interviews
« on: July 30, 2002, 09:05:59 AM »
FYI

For the rest of 2002, we will be posting Feature Interviews with Ron Prichard, Mike Miller, Robert Price (author of Scotland's Golf Courses), Dave Axland and Bunker Hill, a part owner/operator of a unique and interesting golf course, and one with Stuart Bendelow on Tom Bendelow's work.

Hopefully, that's a diverse group with something to appeal to everyone!

Then next year, I would like to do Feature Interviews with those architects that regularly post here including Jeff Bauer, Mike Young and Kelly Blake Moran, and hopefully, by then I will have some good pictures from some of their courses.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:07 PM by -1 »

Ed_Baker

Re: Upcoming Feature Interviews
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2002, 10:10:27 AM »
Ranny Boy:

Cool choices.

Might I suggest one with the Doyen, Thomas Edward Paul.
I don't know what it is, but ever since I met the great one in Philly a couple of weeks ago I can't stop singing "Moon River." He does look like Andy Williams ;D

Moooon Riverrrr,wider than a bunker, I'm longing to hunker... down with my wedge.......Dum De Dum..

Coool Routings, wandering through the dunes,bringing memories of Spoons, and days of yore.... Da Da dee..

Of course after meeting me, the Doyen probably can't get the McDonalds commercials out of his head! ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Slag_Bandoon

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2002, 10:24:32 AM »
Ran, great selection.  Looking forward to reading them all.  BTW, the Urbina read is terrificly refreshing.  Down to Earth takes on many fine meanings.

Ed, I don't know what that "McDonald's" statement means exactly but it destroys what I thought was an indelible image of you...  The Noid from Domino's Pizza.  ;)   Viva la Pizza Man!

Dave_Miller

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2002, 03:06:41 PM »
A recent post claimed the Consigliere of the Philly Mafia (even though I am currently displaced I consider myself a member) is TEPaul and that he looks like Robert Duvall. ;)

Ed Baker and I disagree.  When we met the Doyen we thought we were with Andy Williams ;D.

So Many people asked for his autograph we figured it had to be Andy Williams.  Ed even kept breaking out in song.  See quote below.
Ranny Boy:

Cool choices.

Might I suggest one with the Doyen, Thomas Edward Paul.
I don't know what it is, but ever since I met the great one in Philly a couple of weeks ago I can't stop singing "Moon River." He does look like Andy Williams ;D

Moooon Riverrrr,wider than a bunker, I'm longing to hunker... down with my wedge.......Dum De Dum..

Coool Routings, wandering through the dunes,bringing memories of Spoons, and days of yore.... Da Da dee..

Of course after meeting me, the Doyen probably can't get the McDonalds commercials out of his head! ;)

Cheers   ;)

Dave

Michael Dugger

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2002, 03:09:27 PM »
I may risk embarrasing myself here but can someone please tell me who or what Bunker Hill is.  Is it the name of their company or really someone's name?  
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Dave_Miller

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2002, 03:12:31 PM »
MDugger:

Last I knew Bunker Hill was a location in the Charlestown section of Boston ;Dwhere a Revolutionary War Battle was suppposedly fought.

Supposedly because the actual Battle took place at Breed's Hill which is nearby ;)  

Cheers,
Dave

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2002, 03:48:58 PM »
MDugger;

Bunker Hill is Anita's overweight brother. But he actually is pretty good on design.

Dave and Ed;

Andy Williams, Huh! Ok! All I can tell you is I looked in the mirror this morning and there was someone looking at me I didn't recognize!

You two are too much! Wayne and I have just about never had a better time than with you two at Charles River!

My Mama taught me right you know! I've been planning on writing the two of you nice thank you letters and maybe a little present too. Unfortunately my Mama taught me how to procrastinate really well too!

Anybody who has the opportunity to play golf with Dave and Ed, do it--you won't forget it!

I never want to see a man hit shots on a golf course he's not satisfied with, except Ed, but only because his commentary is world class Adult/Adult/XXX rated! Never heard anything like it before! It shouldn't be missed--extremely creative!

But I'm a very sensitive guy and it makes me blush!

Come on down this way in the springtime and we'll do it again in some world class golf course!

Ran Morrissett:

I think I remember you from somewhere way back when! How've you been anyway? What do you think of this website? Pretty neat, huh?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2002, 08:06:20 PM »
Ran,

Don't forget Jerry Rich.

I think his story would fascinate us.

GPazin

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2002, 08:15:51 PM »
mdugger -

Dick Daley could no doubt tell you more, but I believe Bunker Hill is the design business that Axland & Proctor formed. Look under the course profiles - courses by architect - to learn more about them.

GPazin

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2002, 08:22:28 PM »
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/Delaware_Springs000221.html

Here is the profile I was referring to.

(Sorry, Dan Kelly, about the poor English. I'm working on that Bloom Shakespeare book, but right now it's putting me to sleep.:))

Steve Wilson

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2002, 08:54:00 PM »
It's not exactly golf, but George Pazin I might not be the guy who originally introduced the topic of Shakespeare but I am the guy who recommended the Bloom Shakespeare.

And we have now had Tom Paul's appearance likened to Robert Duvall and Andy WIlliams.  It is possible there is more than one Tom Paul.  That would explain how the man manages to eyeball golf courses, play courses, and post at all hours of the day on this website.  If the multiple Paul's are a reality that could be a year's worth of interviews.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

brad miller

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2002, 03:44:35 AM »
Ran, how about a few Green Chairman and/or Superintentents, Oakmont, Priarie Dunes and Shinnecock as examples. This might further the montra of " protecting the old and influencing the new"

brad_miller

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2002, 03:45:53 AM »
PD sorry for the tipo, "Prairie"
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:10 PM by -1 »

Paul Richards

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2002, 04:49:03 AM »
Ran:

What happened to the interview with Ron Prichard?
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

George Pazin

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2002, 06:22:15 AM »
Steve -

Thanks for the recommendation - I'll try to keep you up to date on my progress. :)

Someone thinks Tom Paul looks like Robert Duvall? That's like saying Fowler's bunker looks like one of the new ones at Merion.  ;D
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

THuckaby2

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2002, 06:29:47 AM »
Cast my vote for the TEP / Andy Williams similarity, and vote off Duvall.

Oh, wait a second, wrong thread.  ;)  TEP does look like Andy Williams though - the Charles River boys are right!

Steve Wilson (and George P.):  I too bought the Invention of the Human on your recommendation.  I was unprepared for how "thick" it is, by all connotations of that word... I am dutifully plodding through, though.  Note I also bought "The Western Canon" and from the looks of things I ought to read that first...

Ran - great ideas for all of these, keep up the great work, muchas gracias once again for all your efforts here.

TH

Rich Goodale (Guest)

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2002, 06:42:42 AM »
Tom, George, et. al.

None of you, I suggest, has ever seen Robert Duvall wearing his "Tom Paul" model toupee.  Andy Williams?  Fuggedaboutit!  If Andy barely resembled or even had a golf swing anything like TE Paul's, Claudine Longet would have never left him for Spider Savitch, which would probably have made Spider's life a little more pleasant, not to say longer..........

Hom T

Ran's post was made 3 months ago, and those interviews have come and gone.  He's still basically AWOL as far as I can see......

THuckaby2

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2002, 06:48:37 AM »
Rich - YIKES - you're right - hey, I guess I'm having a bad reading comprehension day - happens to the best of us!  What's sicker is I actually read all those interviews... oh man, senile dementia comes on quickly.   ;)

He's accidentally shot by Claudine Longet... classic SNL episode.

TH

Dave_Miller

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2002, 07:37:01 PM »
Treehouse:

Now that we have unmasked the Doyen TEPaul  ;D(Andy Williams) should we now remove the facade from the other Doyen's.

Where should we start?  Patrick Mucci or Mike Cirba or Shivas (aka David Schmidt) or others. ;)

Any ideas? ???  
Who or how can anyone stand up to being compared to Andy Williams and Robert Duvall. ;)

There must be some way that we can get Patrick on the same level as Tom. ;D Moon River DAH Da DA DaDa ::)

Any Ideas?

Cheers,
Dave

GPazin

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2002, 08:22:57 AM »
About the only observation I can make is that Jamie Slonis looks like he just stepped off the PGA Tour, whereas I, well, look like someone who just picked up a club for the first time. :)

Most posters are also much kinder and gentler in person. Even me.  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back