News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

The fall & rise of Del Paso CC (pics)
« on: August 30, 2006, 12:35:46 PM »
This is a very controversial project especially with some people on this web site but in the interest of discussion I have a few photos.  I played the course last week.

The history of Del Paso CC in Sacramento is the course was built in 1918 by Scotsman and golf professional John Black.  The course was then remodeled by Herbert Fowler, Sam Whiting, William F. Bell, Gary Roger Baird, Robert Muir Graves and Richard Phelps.

The course hosted the 1957 and 1976 Women’s US Amateur and the 1982 Women’s US Open.

This golf course began to decline in recent years.   With the opening of newer modern courses (Serrano, Winchester, Granite Bay, Morgan Creek) in Sacramento, the course began to suffer financially and older members wanted to sell their equity shares.

In 2001 the club hired Sacramento based Kyle Phillips to develop a comprehensive plan to rebuild the course.  By over 100 votes, the club voted to rebuild the entire golf course from the ground up.  Basically they blew it up and started from scratch.

The success has been overwhelming in this day and age.  The 50 members who were on a list to sell their memberships sold before construction was finished.  Another 75 prospective members submitted their applications and are now going through the approval process.   Furthermore, with this membership success, the club was able to take super senior members and pay them back their equity and grant them a new type of membership.  Also the club was able to rebuild the clubhouse.

The new practice facility is one of the best in Sacramento.  

The course can play as a monster, 7,121 yards which may not sound like much but with the creeks now in play, is very long and very strategic.

Below is a selection of holes which I photographed.   The bunkering is sublime, huge Augusta style bunkers that dot every hole and are very strategically placed.  The last 4 holes are very difficult for the home stretch.

15 – Par 5 636 yards from the back.
16 – Par 4 494 with your second shot over water and many times into a head wind.
17 – Par 3 225 over water
18 – Par 4 462 yards dogleg left with your 2nd shot over a deep creek

Overall I would place this course as one of the best (if not the best) course in Sacramento.  

The 2nd hole, par 3 - 178 - 168 - 148 into the wind over a creek.

The par 4 #7  - 442 - 412 - 388 yards

#9 par 4

the short par 4 10th hole.  2nd shot must carry the creek which also comes into play on the drive and then the 3 bunkers. It plays 327 from the back.

The strong 18th hole.  Play to the right and then carry the ravine for your 2nd shot.  462 yards from the back.

Bob_Huntley

Re:The fall & rise of Del Paso CC (pics)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 12:45:49 PM »
Joel,

Thanks for the update.

Kyle Philips seems to be on a roll.

Bob

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 12:57:07 PM »
Joel,

Somehow, the shape of the bunkers looks . . . . well . . . . a little oval-esque.

I wonder why he chose to design them with such uniform, rounded edges. Of course, I have always thought that the bunkers at Augusta (except for #10) are a little too round also, so it might only be a matter of taste.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 01:11:02 PM »
I live in Sacto and played the course back in the 80's and I cant imagine how they got a 7100 course on to that property, still had room for a practice facility and kept as many trees as they apparently did. Hopefully this will bring back some events like the old senior pga exhibition or a mini tour event to Sacto. Can anyone on this site bring up a recent satellite picture of the property?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 01:13:13 PM »
Gib:

I didn't ask him why but he did model them after Augusta.  I think its interesting that he is not tied into one style ( such as Jim Engh) but has variety in his looks.  Compare the style of Morgan Creek, Kingsbarn, the redo at Incline Village and now Del Paso and the guy has some variety up his sleeve.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 01:20:35 PM »
Joel,

No argument that he has all sorts of variety up his sleeve - I just am not a fan of that particular visual appearance. Looking at the photos, if you imagine some movement in the bunker lines - especially on top - I think it would be more appealing to my eye.

Obviously, the average member there has to be thrilled their bunkers look like Augusta - so in that manner Kyle gave the "people "what they wanted.

However, these photos would put Del Paso at the bottom of my "Kyle Phillips Must See" list for design phreaks.  

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 04:56:19 PM »
how they got a 7100 course on to that property, still had room for a practice facility and kept as many trees as they apparently did.

I think even the members are surprised they could utilize the land that well.   They only had to take down 5 trees for mitagation.

Gib:
I still think you should play it.  The course is dead flat but the routing Kyle did was really good.  Not every course can use the ragged edge bunkers especially a parkland course such as this.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back