News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re:Scottish Links Golf - A Trip Report
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2006, 06:11:37 PM »
Tom, this Cirba fella must be a real stud, right?

Oh but of course, that goes without saying. Man among men, complete chick magnet.

;D ;D

Stan Dodd

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2006, 06:38:08 PM »
Tony,
Great storywith the caddie!!
The first time I played pre GCA, I hit driver 8 iron to 8 feet and made the putt.  I have played 6 or 7 times since then and now that I know how difficult it is I haven't made par since.
Stan

Chris Kane

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2006, 06:29:40 AM »
Ed, from the BBC website:
London
Friday's predominant weather is forecast to be heavy showers
Saturday's predominant weather is forecast to be heavy showers
Sunday's predominant weather is forecast to be heavy showers
Monday's predominant weather is forecast to be light showers
Tuesday's predominant weather is forecast to be sunny intervals

This is what the English call "summer".

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2006, 06:52:20 AM »
Sunshine looking out my window, how about yours Ed?

Chris if you keep this this up everyone will realise the weather thing is just a myth invented to keep the number of tourists down to manageable numbers.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ed Tilley

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2006, 07:15:46 AM »
Sunshine out of my window too. Never trust the weather forecast. We could do with some rain at the Oval though as we appear to be getting stuffed by Pakistan.

Ed Tilley

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2006, 07:30:28 AM »
Sunshine out of my window too. Never trust the weather forecast. We could do with some rain at the Oval though as we appear to be getting stuffed by Pakistan.

Actually, change that - it's now absolutely chucking it down.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2006, 08:28:24 AM »
Bryan

A great report!

I've played all of those course at least once over the last twenty years or so and your words and pictures bring back some very happy memories.  

You certainly had some great weather!  I played The Belfry yesterday in the middle of a thunderstorm.  We kept waiting for the tournament organisers to call us off the course but to no avail.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Ed Tilley

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2006, 09:28:49 AM »
Bryan

A great report!

I've played all of those course at least once over the last twenty years or so and your words and pictures bring back some very happy memories.  

You certainly had some great weather!  I played The Belfry yesterday in the middle of a thunderstorm.  We kept waiting for the tournament organisers to call us off the course but to no avail.

Andrew,

What is the Belfry like? I must confess I have absolutely no desire to play there whatsoever.

Ed

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2006, 09:47:07 AM »
Tom, this Cirba fella must be a real stud, right?

Oh but of course, that goes without saying. Man among men, complete chick magnet.

;D ;D

Tony,

You're a lucky, lucky man.   ;D

Yes, I know that sometimes those groupies get to be a bother, but we just have to grin and bear it and consider it part of our respective crosses to bear.   Besides, now that Brad and Cruise are pretty close to each getting married, Jude losing popularity with that messy nanny thing, that basically leaves just us and George Clooney so expect it to get worse very soon.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2006, 10:13:57 AM »
Bryan

A great report!

Andrew,

What is the Belfry like? I must confess I have absolutely no desire to play there whatsoever.

Ed

Ed

I think it would be fair to say you're not missing too much.  Some excellent match play holes (10 & 18) and some very bland ordinary holes. There is very little elevation to the course.

I've played there twice now, both times in organised competitions at heavily discounted green fee rates. I certainly wouldn't pay the full price (£140). The real pull for the course (& the reason they can charge such an exhorbitant green fee) is the association with the Ryder Cup.

Given a choice I'd much rather be playing any of the courses Bryan has played on his recent Scotland tour - some of which are a fraction of the price!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 10:26:18 AM by Andrew Mitchell »
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2006, 11:24:22 AM »
First trip to Scotland
Exceeded expectations
Will not be my last

Belfry famous past
not really that bad a golf course
some here say "it is"

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2006, 11:48:39 AM »
Tony,

Great caddy story.  Obviously the hole must be a piece of cake if we both parred it.  ;)

Glad you enjoyed your Scotland trip. There are so many more courses you could play there when you go back.  I'm very jealous of you.  Living so close, making the trip frequently shouldn't be a problem.

If you're ever in the Toronto area of Canada give me a call and I can show you some fine courses here.

Chris,

How can you moan about the weather.  Did you not tell me not to come to Australia in July because it's rainy?  Just get some rain gear and suck it up.  Most of us would kill to be your age and where you're at now.  ;D

Willie_Dow

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2006, 09:13:47 AM »
Bryan, thanks a million pounds for this great collection of memories.  Those words and pictures of that trip should be a start for Rich Goodale's next book.  Many moments with new friends found through our association with this game seem to somehow keep us young.  Mike Cirba would love to try his lefty bunker shot out of those revetted bunkers, whose faces you have shown on some of those great pics.  Can't wait for another go with all you guys, (and gals) somewhere!

Chris Kane

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2006, 09:53:12 AM »
How can you moan about the weather.  Did you not tell me not to come to Australia in July because it's rainy?  Just get some rain gear and suck it up.  Most of us would kill to be your age and where you're at now.  ;D

Brian, criticising British weather is the national sport back home.  I'm only being half-serious!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2006, 03:14:03 PM »
Chris I think we're overdue an update on your excellent adventure.  Anyday now you should be able to give us one about "Two weeks in St Andrews" - how's it going?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back