News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Wright

Callaway Gardens
« on: October 22, 2002, 03:43:26 PM »
It may not be saying much, but is Callaway Gardens really a top 5 Tour course? Quoth David Duval,  "t’s probably one of the top five golf courses we play all year. People rave about Riviera. This golf course is every bit as good, probably better.”

The Tone-a-Mint is played on the Dick Wilson designed Mountain View course : http://www.callawaygardens.com/things_to_do/golf/mountainview.htm

I've not been there, and don't recall much from TV viewing previous events. It sounds like a nice place to visit. To those who have been there, is DD smoking something, just being paid "promotional considerations," or is the course worthy of such praise?

All The Best,
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:10 PM by -1 »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

John_Conley

Re: Callaway Gardens
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2002, 07:51:39 PM »
Have not been.  Here's what I've heard.

Callaway Gardens, more than any other Tour stop, is a great place to catch a little R&R with the family.  I talked to a player last year that MC in the event and raved about the week.  Feeding giraffes from his palm in the zoo part was the highlight.  

Duval is probably talking about the whole package, but you also have to consider the competition.  Which Tour stops are great golf courses?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Keith Williams

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2002, 05:48:55 AM »
I have been to the tournament there many times.

I know that all of the tour players love going there for the exact reason stated above... the entire atmosphere at Callaway is great, very relaxing.

As for the course, it is a classic Dick Wilson course.  It has some very interesting holes and is really solid throughout.  While not overly dramatic or breathtaking, the routing is good and flows through some slightly rolling land.  The hole variety is nice.  The 15th hole is exceptional...the short approach over the water is played from a downhill lie, so the players really have to think about what kind of shot to hit...try to float it in high and soft or punch it real low with tons of spin?  I have sat at that green for hours at a time watching the pros position their lay-ups and then stress over the approach.

The 17th is also a really good hole.  Its green is shown on the link offered above.  It is a middle length par four with a green that BEGS for a fade approach but a tree encroaches on the left that really forces the players to position their tee shots or be faced with a real difficult approach.

Other holes are similarly interesting.  All in all I think that the course is above average for a tour stop.  I also seem to remember that it is often considered one of the best conditioned courses on tour.  Is it as good as Riv or any other of the great classics, probably not...but it is pretty good.  I do think, though, that the course could be lengthened just a little in places.  For example, the sixth hole is the longest (I think) par four on the front side, somewhere in the 435 yard neighborhood, and I remember just about all of the pros were hitting three woods off of the tee.  Maybe just eight or ten yards here or there would make the players take some more drivers off the tee.

Anyway, that is just my take on the course.

Keith.

Bryan_Pennington

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2002, 06:21:34 AM »
I would agree with Keith's view on the Mountain Course.  I have played the course 3 or 4 times at various times of the year.  The course is at its best in the Fall once the greens and grasses have had a chance to recover from the oppressive Georgia summer.  The routing is very well thought out and provides both challenge for long and short hitters.  The rough is generally very thick this time of year which equalizes the long hitters in a small way.  The sand in the bunkers is very fine and can often create buried lies making approaches critical.  The greens are not huge and typically have heavy rough that challenges the short game.  

Overall, Callaway is a great place to visit for not only the Mountain course but also the newly restored Lake course, the fishing, and family entertainment.  It's no Riveria, but then, I don't think Callaway Gardens is trying to be anything other than a great family destination.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back