News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Richards

Newport CC history
« on: April 05, 2008, 10:05:30 PM »
Obviously, Newport CC has an amazing history.

However, what are the architectural merits of this golf course?

???
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

TEPaul

Re: Newport CC history
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 09:38:10 AM »
"However, what are the architectural merits of this golf course?"

The architectural and maintenance merits of Newport are probably best described as "old fashioned".

Thank God!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 01:33:14 PM »
Paul,

The maintainance merits TEPaul alludes to are largely determined by Mother Nature.

The architectural merits are numerous and substantive.

Newport also enjoys a catalyst for highlighting those merits, the WIND.

I'm a big fan of Newport as it existed when I played it, before fairways were narrowed.

I found it to be a very sporty and challenging golf course that was a great deal of fun to play.

Holes # 1 and 12 played from different tees as either long par 4's or shorter par 5's.  I liked that flexibility, especially on a windy site.

Newport has two of the most interesting back to back par 3's.
They're so WILDLY different, which makes playing them back to back a unique experience.

If my friend Eddie Ricci wouldn't park his car behind # 13 green it could become a skyline green.

It's a great golf course, one of those that meets the "play it every day and love it" test.

Mike Policano

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 03:00:02 PM »
In addition to comments of the esteemed Messers. Paul and Mucci, the course has many strategic holes.  The fairway bunkering and greensites generally require advance planning before launching the ball off the tee.  There are numerous fun risk reward shots. And yes, the two back to back par 3's are radically different.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 11:21:53 PM »

I was there a week ago.

Drove in and saw the sign that read "members and guests only beyond this point" and decidided to let it be.

What blew me away was the site of the clubhouse. I cannot think of another I have seen anything like it. Once I figure out how to post the photo of ithe clubhouse from the point I got to t I will do so. Kind of expected that and respect a sign of that nature.

Newport is a great little town.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 04:52:46 AM »

However, what are the architectural merits of this golf course?

1. Sitting next to the home of The America's Cup race course for close to100 years or so, the course was built for wind. As Pat mentioned, narrowing of fairways takes away from the intent.

2. Lack of fairway irrigation.

3. Great strategic bunkering.

Probably the thing that holds Newport back from Top 10 or 25 status is there are no "All World" holes at NCC. It is simply 18 very good to great holes in an ideal setting for golf.

Gerry B

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 03:05:08 AM »
old school design - conditoning not a priority

a great mix of holes - a couple outstanding  - the rest really good.

if you appreciate Fishers Island, Maidstone,Myopia, Yale,  - you will appreciate Newport.
The recently renovated classic clubhouse and outdoor patio bar -add to the ambience.

hick

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 11:28:57 PM »
when will we have a review of Newport Country Club and all its history. This review is long overdue. Lobster Rolls on me.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 12:28:33 AM by Mat Hickey »

Tom MacWood

Re: Newport CC history New
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 11:45:28 AM »
I'd like to know more about the history of this course too. The club was founded in 1893, and nine hole course was laid out by William Davis. I've seen reference to that course being laid out in 1894 too, so I'm not certain the exact date. It remained a nine hole course until 1915 when Donald Ross supposedly expanded the course to 18. That is the common story anyway, but I've not been able to confirm any involvement by Ross.

It was reported in 9/1909 (NY Tribune) that the club had spent $5000 on improvements and opening a full eighteen-hole course. That same month it was reported in American Golfer that HH Barker was involved at Newport. On June 25, 1910 the NY Times reported the new 18-hole course had opened.

In 1923 Tillinghast redesigned the course, and it must have been a significant redesign because he listed the course as an original design as opposed to a reconstruction or extension of existing course. I'd be interested to know if in fact Barker extended the course in 1909-10, that seems to be strong possibility. And I'd also be interested to know if any of the original nine or original eighteen survived Tilly.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 11:48:01 AM by Tom MacWood »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back