News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Re: If you like quirky courses step this way - Windermere pics
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2012, 07:00:46 PM »
Here are some photos of Windermere that hopefully fill in some of the spots missed by Ed. Unfortunately the quality of the photographs is not to Ed's high standards.

Looking back down the first fairway.

View from behind the second green.

A view of the third hole; the tee is up by the wall.

Second shot to number 5.

The intimidating drive at the 6th.

The par three 8th.

The dramatic par three 10th.

Hole 10: The tee is up by the marquee.

The approach to the 12th after a big drive.

Looking back along hole 12. The tee is way up the hill and into the right behind the trees.

The short pitch shot to the 13th green.

A view of the 13th green from the following tee.

Looking back towards the tee on the short par three 14th.

The difficult drive at the 17th.

The uphill approach to the 17th green.

Ed's photo of the tee shot at 18 looks daunting, but thankfully the green is one of the largest on the course.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2012, 07:43:46 PM »
Photos are great.

Do you think that "quirk" is confined or concentrated on short holes ?

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2012, 04:42:30 AM »
Photos are great.

Do you think that "quirk" is confined or concentrated on short holes ?

No, I wouldn't say that. The "quirk" is pretty evenly spead amongst the par 3s and 4s. There's only one par 5 on the course; the 16th and it's a hole you could find on any course, modern or old.

There's partial blindness on the par 3 second, but the flag is visible. The 8th is a dramatic par 3, but also a very good hole that any architect worth their salt would fit into a routing. There's a big drop down to the 10th green, but it's all there in front of you. The 14th and 15th are "normal" enough par 3s, but the 18th is a bit confusing. I didn't see the 18th flag at first, and wondered where the hell we were going. The marker for the 1st hole is visible to the left, and I initially thought this was our marker, but it wasn't. My playing partner Gary See figured it out, so we did play in the correct direction.

I had seen this thread before I had played the course, so I was expecting a really crazy course, but it isn't. I also don't view it as quirky. The routing uses the land very sensibly, and although there is a lot of up and down, it doesn't tire you out. On several holes, both the tees and greens are elevated, so you don't have any hard slog holes that are uphill all the way. It's quite a short course also, so it's not a difficult walk.

There's only one crossing hole; the 12th which crosses the 11th. There's certainly no "quirk" there for "quirk" sakes alone.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2012, 05:55:58 AM »
Looks like a barrel of fun... What's the drive from here to Silloth?

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2012, 06:08:50 AM »

I think it's was about 90 minutes. It's slow going through the small scenic towns, but it's a nice drive.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2012, 06:40:42 AM »

I think it's was about 90 minutes. It's slow going through the small scenic towns, but it's a nice drive.
Rather more if you're John Mayhugh......
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ed Tilley

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2014, 08:25:49 AM »
Bumped due to request for courses around Silloth.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2014, 09:17:59 AM »
This is a course I would love to play.

WW

Paul Gray

Re:If you like quirky courses step this way - Windermere pics
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2014, 04:14:24 PM »
Ed:

Very cool looking ground and ground features all around that course. You should write the club a letter and tell them that and ask them if they'd consider doing away with that ridiculous fairway and approach "cut stripping" that completely detracts from the wonderful look of the topography they have.

Amen to that.

What a misguided bit of tampering on what otherwise looks to be a superb course. Such a shame.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2014, 04:24:11 PM »
Windermere was once more "quirky"! I don't know when they changed it, but the old seventeeth green was not tucked behind that hill, but to the right, on top of the hill in a tiny punchbowl (behind 18 tees). A brute, still used in winter when the course gets very wet.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back