News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

Re: Ballybunion Christmas access.... New
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2014, 05:50:04 AM »
Sean - Princes has a good product, the kitchen doesn't know if it's fine dining or golfers fare, last time I ate there the food was very good but the room echoes, fine for couples and fours, problem is the 8 and 12 golf parties arrive and the noise level goes through the roof.

I think their room pricing as softened as one of my mates paid £120 for a single on a Saturday night, he was gutted when I told him we were £33 cheaper and no £10 each way cab ride to Deal for dinner!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 02:14:34 PM by Mark Chaplin »
Cave Nil Vino

mike_malone

Re: Ballybunion Christmas access....
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2014, 08:12:22 AM »
For Christmas 2004 I took my family to Doolin, which is just past the Cliffs of Moher. The day before Christmas Eve I went down to the Lahinch clubhouse and was told by the woman behind the counter " we are closed to visitors at the holiday, but if you come tomorrow afternoon we may be able to do something."
This must be a peculiar Irish way of speaking which says two opposite things in one sentence.

Well I showed up around noon the next day and they said they would not sign me up but here's a set of clubs and Merry Christmas.

I set off up the first hole into a wind and hail as my family got visual evidence of my insanity. Around number 8 the tethered goats looked at me the same way.

AKA Mayday

Joe Bentham

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2014, 11:41:56 AM »
we've veered off topic a bit...anybody have a similar experience at Ballybunion as Mike did at Doolin?

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2014, 11:56:25 AM »
Regarding the possibly precipitating reason for no visitors at Ballyb, here in the DC area, just learned that one private course is going with mats for the winter. Something about eliminating ~5,500 divots. Have never before heard of a U.S. course doing this. Quite surprising and will be curious to see if the members riot.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

jeffwarne

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2014, 11:59:54 AM »
Regarding the possibly precipitating reason for no visitors at Ballyb, here in the DC area, just learned that one private course is going with mats for the winter. Something about eliminating ~5,500 divots. Have never before heard of a U.S. course doing this. Quite surprising and will be curious to see if the members riot.

taking the pins out Thanksgiving slows them down
that and the 35+ mph winds ::) ::) ::) that blow from Oct-June
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Rob Marshall

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2014, 12:44:25 PM »
For Christmas 2004 I took my family to Doolin, which is just past the Cliffs of Moher. The day before Christmas Eve I went down to the Lahinch clubhouse and was told by the woman behind the counter " we are closed to visitors at the holiday, but if you come tomorrow afternoon we may be able to do something."
This must be a peculiar Irish way of speaking which says two opposite things in one sentence.

Well I showed up around noon the next day and they said they would not sign me up but here's a set of clubs and Merry Christmas.

I set off up the first hole into a wind and hail as my family got visual evidence of my insanity. Around number 8 the tethered goats looked at me the same way.

Mike,
Doesn't surprise me a bit. On my trip to Ireland I found the people at Lahinch to friendliest of any of the courses we played.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

mike_malone

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2014, 02:19:25 PM »
My point is if he shows up there ( I forgot to say I bought some things the first day before saying anything) he has a chance to experience the kindness of the Irish. Lahinch was abandoned on Christmas Eve afternoon.

In the fall of 1997 I went to Ireland with my non golfing wife and walked into Ballybunion and got a tee time for the next day. Of course, it may be that I look like a nice person!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 02:24:10 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

JMEvensky

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2014, 03:22:47 PM »

I got to Lahinch near the end of my Ireland trip. A lady in the Pro Shop insisted on personally boxing up everything I'd bought and getting it shipped home for me. She wouldn't accept a nickel.

I love Ireland and the Irish people--they must be the friendliest people on Earth.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back