News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

caroline

The “perfect” clubhouse-course relationship
« on: November 12, 2002, 07:18:22 AM »
The other day I found myself at a meeting in one of the most distasteful and badly located clubhouses I have ever seen. I was there to discuses the design and layout of an additional 18 holes – and it was then it hit me – why are so many clubhouses so badly integrated with the surrounds – and shouldn’t I as the golf course architect be more involved in the clubhouse design?

The location of the clubhouse is tricky in the sense that it is often to be placed in the middle of an otherwise building free landscape scenery. The clubhouse has clearly a functional purpose and should be designed to accommodate these demands, but shouldn’t the design also reflect the nature of the course and the surrounding landscape whatever it might be like? I have no desire to become at building architect and don’t care weather the clubhouse is big or small, it is about good design and how the clubhouse relates to its surroundings.

A well hidden clubhouse can never go wrong but on the other hand it is clear that a well integrated clubhouse can be very impressive. I am more than aware of the fact that the planning authorities often guide the developer in a certain direction when it concerns the design of the clubhouse but I am also sure that presented with interesting designs that fits the surroundings, even the planners would see the light.

I am looking for the “perfect” clubhouse-course relationship – have any of you examples, photos or experience relating to this matter?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

Re: The “perfect” clubhouse-course relationship
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2002, 07:25:33 AM »
Pete Dye helped to set the stakes for the position of the new clubhouse we will be building near the 18th hole at The Ocean Course here on Kiawah Island.  It will be back left of the 18th green angling about 45 degrees to the ocean looking down the final stretch of holes.  Construction begins in December of 2003 (right after the EMC World Cup is held) and is scheduled for completion in Feb. of 2005...

Philippe_Binette

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2002, 07:45:11 AM »
In my mind, a clubhouse isolated from the golf course is wrong, I prefer to be able to see the clubhouse from the course and vice-versa.

On classic courses where only the first and the 18th hole are adjacent to the clubhouse, the combinaison course-clubhouse is usually good (St Andrews, Sunningdale Old...). A clubhouse close to the first tee and behind the 18th green (it must be a nice clubhouse though) is remarquable.

One of the great combinaison course clubhouse I've seen is Beaconsfield Golf Club in Montreal, Canada. Not only it is a beautiful old building but you can appreciate it from different angles. The 1st, 10th,12th tees are close to the clubhouse and also the 9th, 11th and 18th green too. The clubhouse really gives the ambiances to the course...

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2002, 07:46:52 AM »
Caroline- It seems that if the powers that be don't see or know of the long term benefits of organic design then they are worthy of the monstrosity they do get.

Eric Pevoto

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2002, 08:00:55 AM »
Caroline,

This is a topic that has been on my mind for several months now.  I think the biggest reason for poor integration is the amount of the space needed (or thought to be necessary).  We've been very conscious of making the building look as if it grew organically.  

Gil Hanse, as you might know, builds very vernacular golf courses and I feel strongly that the clubhouse reflect the surroundings and the golf course architecture.

Just for my information, what was distasteful about the building?  What was poor about its location?
There's no home cooking these days.  It's all microwave.Bill Kittleman

Golf doesn't work for those that don't know what golf can be...Mike Nuzzo

Craig Disher

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2002, 08:52:04 AM »
The golf course and clubhouse should be integrated not just visually, but with respect to play. There ought to be a short walk from the 18th green to a patio or bar where you can drop your bag and grab a drink. In the other direction, the members sitting on the patio ought to be able to watch the matches finishing up. The design of the building is a matter of taste - in most cases, no matter what is built, some will love it and some will hate it and it will be a source of endless argument.

At my club, the 18th hole ended just below the clubhouse in an absolutely perfect position. There was a large, open yard between the clubhouse and the 18th green where wooden chairs were placed and on a sunny day, after a round, there was no better place to sit and replay the match. Sometime in the 60s or 70s, a well-meaning greens committee planted 4 tiny flowering crabapple trees immediately behind the green. They are now over 15' tall and completely block the view of the course from the clubhouse. Of course, because they look beautiful 7 days a year, we can't cut them down. So for the most inconsequential reasons, the connection between the clubhouse and course has been lost - in spite of an absolutely perfect design.

caroline

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2002, 09:37:12 AM »
I appreciate your answers but I was not so much thinking about the details of the clubhouse but the overall design. I don’t believe that the difference between well and badly designed clubhouses is necessarily about money or space – in my opinion it is simply about the design itself. Yes, the size and location has to be right, but there is so much good architecture out there why can’t that be applied to the design of clubhouses?

Eric,
I am not going to post photos of bad examples of clubhouses, however I hope that we can agree that the new hotel/clubhouse on Carnoustie is a good example of a clubhouse fare too dominating – I can not believe they got the permission to build that monster on the cost and almost on top of the first tee.

When talking about the average new clubhouses here in the UK, they are often dark bricked one floor buildings, with huge heavy looking roofs (also dark) – I feel sure that this look is supposed to make them blend in better, but to me they look clumsy, stereotype, unfriendly and uninspiring. I want wood/glass and even grass on the roof if that is what it takes. ;)

A_Clay_Man,
Yes, but a bad looking clubhous can make the course "look bad" and hey if I am to design the course - I do care what the clubhouse looks like.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:11 PM by -1 »

TEPaul

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2002, 11:19:53 AM »
Caroline:

Not completely sure if you're talking about the site placement of the clubhouse or the style, dimensions, interior vs exterior convenience as well as building materials too, or all of them in some combination.

For site placement in the context of how the clubhouse relates to the golf course there are a lot of diverse ideas that have a large impact forever. For instance the center property placement vs the corner property placement (Ross) and the course "fanning" away from the cluhouse.

If the clubhouse can have three or more tees (and greens) around it, generally good and convenient things will happen forever.

But if you're talking more about building architecture, dimensions, materials, styles and such that's a different matter.

I've always thought that those things that sort of meld into not only the site but probably the entire community or "aura" of it (that is if it's nice) are best.

It might be worthwhile too to spend some time analyzing the overall "lines" of the general topography as far as one can see (if you know what I mean) to try to match clubhouse lines to that in some way, in a general sense.

When you said even grass on the roof though, I can imagine the extent you may be willing to go with your imagination and I surely like that kind of "thinking outside the general box".

Where is this course anyway?

Have you ever heard of the "bank barn" architectural concept? If in rural England you should read Tom MacWood's five articles on the "Arts and crafts movement" on this site.

As for a clubhouse that used uncharacteristic materials but whose "lines" fit well into the topography of the site I might point you to Old Head G.C. Kinsale Ireland. From most aspects the clubhouse appeared to blend into the topography, except when you approached it from #18--and that of course provided some awesome views! But obviously the parts and functions of the clubhouse where views weren't necessary appeared to almost merge seamlessly into the natural topography.

There's a lot to think about on all this and I hope you do get the ear of those who control matters--I for one, like the way you think.

Tim Weiman

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2002, 01:06:30 PM »
Caroline,

There are many famous examples one could speak of, but I'll pick one nobody talks about: the Sagamore in Lake George, NY.

Truthfully, there really isn't a "clubhouse". Instead, there is a little pro shop and a nice little restaurant with an outdoor patio. But, to my mind it fits perfectly, so much so that even if I wasn't playing golf I would enjoy leaving the resort down by the lake and having lunch up the mountain where the course sits. There is a very pleasant atmosphere about the place I haven't found very often.

Tom Paul's selection of Old Head as an interesting example is a good choice as well. It feels like an old fortress one would never see from a ship out at sea.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2002, 01:18:47 PM »
Caroline:

In his book, "Golf has never failed me", Donald Ross talks in a segment about locating the Clubhouse and integrating into the overall design of the course.

You may want to read what he has to say.  It may give some insight.

Best,
Dave

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2002, 03:53:01 PM »
One of my favorite sitings of the clubhouse is my old club in Fairfax, Virginia, the C.C. of Fairfax.  The clubhouse is on a hill, with an upper deck/gallery behind the upper level ballroom / bar and a terrace behind the lower level mixed grill.  The 9th and 18th are parallel holes, 9 a par 5 and 18 a lengthy par 4, both with a valley below an elevated green which backs up to the lower veranda with maybe 50' of sloping grass between green and brick wall of veranda.  The greens are only 60-80' apart.  Thus it is a great place to sit and watch groups playing both holes and truly integrates the golf course into the life of the clubhouse.  The 1st tee and 10th tee are both very close by, and the 3rd green and 4th tee are within 60 yards.  Really a nifty set up, not sure I've ever seen a better.  Although Oakmont is close. Valley Club of Montecito has two greens below the clubhouse veranda but they are #15 and #18.  The 9th green is as far away from the clubhouse as you can get.  By contrast the 18th green at Silverado is maybe 100 yards away from the clubhouse.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2002, 05:52:42 PM »

Here is one of many I could mention, Maidstone in East Hampton, NY.
This picture while not being the best, is from the 18th tee looking up the fairway with the 1st hole on the left side of the photo.

The parking is on the left side of the clubhouse, its a short walk by the pro shop, then locker room then dining room.  The 1st hole starts on the right side of the clubhouse and the the 18th is adjoining.  The back side of the clubhouse is facing the Atlantic Ocean and is essentially a beach club.  Its perfectly efficient, plush without being over the top.

SJ_McCarthy

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2002, 07:20:59 PM »
What about a clubhouse that affords a view of more than just the 18th or 9th greens?

Maybe something like a view of no fewer than five holes on the course?

Applebrook GC in Malvern is perfect in that respect, and oh yeah, the rear also faces West giving an excellent view of sunsets over that post round beverage or meal.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2002, 09:26:21 PM »
A very underappreciated clubhouse is the one at Bethpage State Park.

Not only do the first and eighteenth holes of the Black Course begin and end here, but so do the first and eighteenth holes of the Red and Green Courses.

The interior logistics for handling the tee times and sign-ins for five courses, now displayed and updated constantly on computer screens for those in line to see, more than make up for the bottleneck into the pro shop entrance.

The restaurant services has been transformed into three sections, any and all of which can be open from earliest of morning till late into the night. An elegant restaurant open to the interior, has it's kitchen shared by an exterior walk-up service for exterior sit-downs before and after your round of golf. There is a formal ballroom, a series of private dining rooms and a wonderfully warm nineteenth hole bar that has two small rooms adjacent to it.

The hallways are filled with photographs of the past, trophies of all types and sports and mementoes from this years U.S. Open. Upstairs are park offices.

This is a classic building built in the mid-30's and opened in 1936 to great fanfare. At the time it was the largest clubhouse, public or private, in New York State, and among the largest anywhere.  

After a multi-million dollar facelift paid for by the restaurant operator, it has been returned to it's golden age grandeur. It is a fitting building and setting for the finest public golf facility in the world (yes I am prejudiced on that point!)

ed_getka

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2002, 10:22:46 AM »
I would list Garden City and Plainfield as two examples of perfect clubhouse-course relationship. Both courses come up to the clubhouse in such a way that the golfers and members are in close proximity to each other which allows for interaction as people are coming and going. Garden City with its 100+ year old course and the clubhouse with its creaky floors and history oozing out of the walls is magical IMHO.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back