News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Who likes containment and visibility ?
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2002, 03:49:48 PM »
Jim Kennedy,

Doesn't the answer to your question require me to have played his new designs, or would you prefer that I adopt the methodology of others, and comment on his new courses without having played them.

I don't think architects designed golf courses with Nicklaus's game as a foundation or a cornerstone.

Does that adequately address your questions ?   ;D

Mike Cirba,

NGLA appears to heavily favor a draw, so how can we prudently conclude anything about the architects personal game, from either or both sites ?  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:11 PM by -1 »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2002, 03:54:21 PM »
Patrick;

Haven't you played the new Nicklaus design at Mansion Ridge?  If memory serves, you qualified for the Senior Amateur there. ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2002, 03:56:48 PM »
Mike Cirba,

Are you absolutely, positively certain that Jack Nicklaus designed that golf course ?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2002, 04:00:41 PM »
Patrick;

As much as he "designs" any number of his courses, I suppose.   ;)

From www.mansionridge.com

"Created by legendary golfer and world-renowned course architect Jack Nicklaus, Mansion Ridge is carved out of the mature forests and rolling hills of a 220-acre estate, and is the only Nicklaus Signature course open to the public in New York State. The spectacular 18-hole championship course features stunning rock formations, extreme elevation changes, and spectacular views of the surrounding countryside. Designed to test shot-making skills, this layout will challenge you to negotiate a variety of wetland areas, bunkers, and of course, all the subtle features you would expect from the Golden Bear."

"This 6,889-yard, par 72 course reflects Jack’s meticulous attention to detail and his demand for excellence. Jack’s signature means he walked every fairway, landing area and green to ensure that they meet his unyielding standards. As you play the course you can’t help but notice his influence, his personality, his drive for excellence, his touch … the touch of the Master."

See!!  He's walked it...METICULOUSLY!  ;)

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:11 PM by -1 »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2002, 04:14:41 PM »
Mike Cirba,

I guess, if you read it, it must be irrefutably true  ;D

Then again, it may not.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2002, 06:05:45 PM »
Patrick,
Thanks for the answers.
Since you were the initial poster on this Nicklaus thread I just assumed you knew more about Nicklaus' courses due to your posts, seen below, that deal with his style. I had no idea that you didn't know anything about the evolution of his design career.   :o  

"It seems to me that Jack infuses the way he played the game, or liked the game played, into the design of his holes, thus tainting his design by favoring a particular style of play over others".

"This would seem to alter the tactical balance of his holes, weighting them to favor a particular method of play, his method of play, when most of the "Golden Age" designers didn't favor any particular method of play or style.  They were truely more "play neutral" more independent with their designs".

"Nicklaus clearly inserted his style of play, and his preference for play, repetitively, into his designs.  I know of no other architect who has done the same thing, new, old or dead."

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2002, 06:51:09 PM »
Jim Kennedy,

Having played a dozen or more of his courses, I stand behind my comments.

This thread, which I started, wasn't about the evolution of Jack Nickaus as a architect.  If you would like to start your own thread on that subject, feel free to do so.

What Nicklaus courses have you played ?

Can you describe the evolution of his design philosophy ?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back