News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re: The Last of the Long Hitters
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2002, 09:54:00 AM »
The thing that sort of surprises me about some of those known long hitting touring pros or even real great amateurs like Sigel, well known for ultra length, is how much they might have in reserve if they ever feel the need for it!

I've always been interested in Love and have followed him closely his whole career but I remember one time in New Orleans quite a few years ago he needed a win to make the Masters and the New Orleans tourney was his last chance. He was near the lead and in the last round on the back nine it looked like he needed eagle on a real long par 5 to win. He had about 290 into a stiff breeze.

With those tour pros their swings are pretty darned grooved so it's hard to really notice any change of speed or power but Love took out his 3 wood and hit the ball so much harder than I'd ever seen from him. Into and through impact it was a blur. He knocked it on and close, made eagle, won the tourney and got into the Master. I'll never forget that one swing--it was like an overdrive I'd never seen from him before!  Carrying a ball about 275-280 onto a green into a stiff breeze --imagine that!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2002, 10:27:41 AM »
TEPaul,
Put a golf ball on a flat surface, sole a 2 iron right behind it and you will find that the ball's equator touches around the 3rd/4th groove or about 1/2" up the face. Add any extra cushion of fairway grass and it's easy to see how Tiger can hit it high or low while only giving the turf a buzzcut.

When I was a youngster in the early 60's we'd watch the Pro at Torrington CC hit 1 irons to the 300 yd. par 4 13th. The green was about 25' lower than the tee but hey, still a poke.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

TEPaul

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2002, 10:40:30 AM »
JimK:

That's very interesting! I never thought of it that way--must be the complete reason because we sure have seen him hit plenty of those shots! Thanks!

I think I'll try that myself but I'm quite sure what the result will be.

It will be----OUCH!

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2002, 04:16:32 PM »
Tom,
Notice I said "easy to see" not easy to do!!  ;)
What makes that shot hard is getting the face closed while chicken winging your left elbow(righty) and still generating power.
Try it off a tee first and let us know how you did, although you might be typing slower with only one hand.  ;D ;D

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back