News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Bahto

Re: Essex County CC
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2002, 02:32:02 PM »
Matt - Pat: I think you have a couple of really good points about the majority of raters zeroing in on the Plainfields and Baltusrols then flipping over to Westchester and Long Island - the big name courses. There are so many good courses around here it’s scary. Now we’re getting good new courses in NJ.

Yes Pat, we’re overloaded!

Pick a spot on about the beginning of Long Island and draw a 50-mile circle - wow what courses and so many of them.

Do raters not do homework? - do they just go where they are “steered?”

I think newpaper press exposure has a lot to do with it too - look at all the press Montclair has gotten over the years and because of the exposure they are a “known” course.

There is an women’s event scheduled in a couple years at ECCC..

You’re right, the Knoll was left to fade away for a lot of years after the Aiello’s sold it after receiving such great press during those glory days - I mean, the type people hanging out there was incredible (not the “family” - the Saprano’s of the 50's thru 70's - hah) - you had the ball players from the Yankees and Dodgers, much of show business and the ever-present Gene Sarazen, just to name a few. Frank Dailey of Meadowbrook night club fame used to be a member and brought up all the big-band leaders ...... and we had the Mucci's: father and son ..... :P

It may have been a blessing though that there was not the money or inclination to “do something” with the course - so we end up with a virtually unaltered gem. I’m starting there next week.

After the restorations are completed I would have trouble picking ECCC or the Knoll to play (once). I guess if I get to put in the tee-ball bunkering at ECCC it might be the strong course. The Knoll is very tight off the tee and the greens are in a class by themselves. ECCC greens are a bit more temperate.

How great to restore your own course - I’m excited and also I can’t say enough for the way ECCC is going about their project.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2002, 03:26:56 PM »
George Bahto,

Now that my playing is just about over for the season, I intend to get over to ECCC and The Knoll.

What is intended for The Knoll ?

George Bahto

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2002, 03:55:36 PM »
Pat - just bunker restoration - that's all that's needed

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2002, 07:12:34 PM »
I think you guys are right that there is just such a wealth of great classic courses in such a small area.  I can vouch for the fact that as an outsider it is overwhelming when you come up to that area to get to see everything that really should be seen.

I was reminded of a thread I started the week after I returned from NJ with my head spinning "You Northeast guys are spoiled"  I have now brought that thread back up to the current page not just for the sake of referance, but also to answer a question posed to me quite a while ago that I didnt realize I had never answered.  When an outsider comes up there, obviously we are often seduced to see the "Big Name" courses.  In case we never get back that way we tend to gravitate to the ones with the most noteriety.  

I can only say that I never would have heard of Essex County had it not been the home course of the friend that I was staying with that weekend.  I am happy to say I have now included it in my very high echelon of courses I have ever played.  I just loved it.  It would have been a shame to have missed it, but I likely would have if not for fates intervention.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

njgolfer

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2002, 07:32:36 PM »
just wanted to bring back to current page

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back