News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sandman

Mike Strantz
« on: March 15, 2004, 01:36:40 PM »
Just thought that GCA might want to know this:  Mike Strantz went into surgery last Thursday for cancer of the tongue and jaw.   He is also having major reconstruction of his jaw, with replacemnet bone being used from his shoulder.

Think that we should ALL keep him in our prayers......................

Marty Bonnar

Re:Mike Strantz
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 01:52:26 PM »
Hey 'Carl',
Think you should maybe have used a real name for a post on as serious a subject as this?

Martin.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 01:55:30 PM »
Martin,
I this case, I have not a single problem with it. My best to Mike Strantz and my prayers will be with him and his family and dearest friends that have been with him during this ordeal.  All for a quick and well recovery as well as a quality of life he deserves to enjoy.

Sandman

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 01:55:42 PM »
Well thanks for the comment and the concern,  no joke meant and I did use my real name.  He spelled his with a "K".....................

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 01:57:18 PM »
In which case, please accept my apologies.
Get well soon, Mike.

Martin.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Art_Schaupeter

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 03:05:14 PM »
Here's hoping that Mike has a quick and successful recovery, and that he is back out where he belongs, on site.

james soper

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 03:11:44 PM »
our thoughts and prayers are with mike.

JSlonis

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2004, 04:05:54 PM »
Best wishes...may your recovery be as bold as your designs.

PS.  For clarification...the official "Carl Spackler" from Caddyshack is most definitely spelled with a "C"...not a "K".

« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 04:17:03 PM by JSlonis »

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2004, 04:47:16 PM »
Thoughts and prayers are definitely with Mike and his family.  He deserves much praise and credit for having the guts to design courses how he likes and for not being afraid to try something different.

James Edwards

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2004, 05:58:11 PM »
Yes, echoed here in England, I'm sure, by the many followers of Mike Strantz and his design creativity. TR and BB are two of my inspirations.
@EDI__ADI

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2004, 08:59:57 PM »
Does anyone have an address where we could send a note or get well card?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Brock Peyer

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2004, 10:05:40 PM »
Good idea Michael, here is his business address as listed on his website, I would think that they know how to get cards to him.

Maverick Golf Course Design  
Michael Strantz  
122 Copper Penny Ct.  
Mt. Pleasant, SC  29466

I suggest that everyone try and drop him a note or card.

May God be with him and his family.

GeoffreyC

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2004, 10:25:44 PM »
Very sad news.

I'll be thinking of Mike and wishing him a speedy recovery and rehab. It appears that Mike has lots of friends and well wishers who hopefully can help him face this challenge.

I work on the research end of this terrible disease and recurrance is all too frequent. Mike- please fight on because there are a lot of survivors out there to prove it can be done!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2004, 10:51:19 PM »
Mike Strantz is one of those people that push the envelope and make his designs bold and exciting for all of us who love creativity in GCA.  I'm going to make a special effort to play Caledonia and True Blue when I'm in Myrtle B., in April.  I will admire his work and think good thoughts for him during my rounds.  Perhaps during his convalescing he will look into this forum and know that he has a great number of well wishers and admirers.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jason Mandel

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2004, 11:58:20 PM »
I don't know Mike personally but would still like to send my best wishes on as well. cancer can be a tough thing to beat, but has certainly been beaten in the past.

RJ,
Before I ever got into studying architecture I played Caldeonia and True Blue, two totally different, equally great courses that you should def. play!  It is hard to imagine that the same designer built those two courses, thats how different they are, but both special. (although I prefere Caldonia!)

jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Matthew Schulte

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2004, 12:17:27 AM »
The world needs more people willing to take chances as Mike has.  I was recently in Monterey, and from what I could see from 17 mile drive, which wasn't all that much, his work at MPCC looks impressive.  Hopefully the serenity of that setting will aid in his recovery.  I for one am a huge fan of his work and think that much of the strategy found in his courses is often overlooked and overshadowed by the dramatic visuals that are also one of his hallmarks.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back