News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Robin

Re:What makes a great short par 5?
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2005, 12:49:46 PM »
Hey Tom, do you think the Dr. had actually intended those trees to mature the way they did? Pictures in the clubhouse seem to indicate saplings there from the start. And he did spend a few years in residence
offering adjustments along the way, no?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2005, 12:55:02 PM »
Michael:

I am far from expert on these matters - and we do have some experts in here, perhaps the best being Tom Doak!  Hopefully he will see this.

From what I can tell though in the very old pics - like with Marion Hollins and Bobby Jones playing - there weren't even any saplings.  Go to this link then open the slideshow under historical photos - look at the pics for 1 and 9.

http://www.pasatiempo.com/web/golfinfo_slideshows.php

I also can't see the Good Doctor intended either of those holes to play so narrowly...

But this would be good learning if he did either intend, or allow such.  Hopefully someone can clear this up.

TH

Michael Robin

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2005, 01:04:08 PM »
Tom, I stand corrected. These original photos are indeed clear cut. And
it is indeed amazing without the trees.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2005, 01:09:43 PM »
Michael - yeah, isn't that something how it originally looked?  And think how much more fun those two holes were to play... one big field in which to hit drives... so many more choices of angles...

But as for MacKenzie's intent/allowance, well heck there were no saplings right there originally, but I think it's still a valid question as to when the trees were planted and if he had any say in the matter.  You never know...

And the good thing is we do have experts on these matters in our midst.  Doak's group did the recent renovation and they are as expert in Pasa as anyone could possibly be.

TH

Michael Robin

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2005, 02:01:13 PM »
Speaking of that renovation, and I know this is old news, the bunker work
is just amazing. Especially the work on 10 and 15. So unique, both by
Mackenzie and Doak.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2005, 02:30:03 PM »
Michael - it is really cool.  But if you liked 10 and 15, you should see the front nine... I posted pictures of it in a thread a month of so ago.  Here it is.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=20307;start=25

TH
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 02:33:06 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Doug Siebert

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2005, 12:46:55 AM »
A hole where standing on the tee, a makeable eagle putt and a 7 are of equal likelihood.  No matter how bad your drive is, a 4 is still in play, and no matter how good your drive is a 6 is still in play.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back