News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lynn_Shackelford

What is the best course where the preponderance of members ride?
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2001, 07:00:00 PM »
Augusta National
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

WB_Salinetti

In praise of modest properties
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2001, 07:00:00 PM »
GeoffreyCThe American Elm that you are referring to was on 10 east green right next to the clubhouse.  That tree, which was called "The Great Elm", did in fact die in 1992.  That tree did come into play as the canopy of the majestic elm covered close to 75% of the green surface.  The hole "Elm" is 2 west and that tree still stands, and it is an incredible tree.

TEPaul

Kinglsey "Forgotten" / GD's Best New Survey
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2001, 07:00:00 PM »
MTWilkinson:I'm sure there're plenty of supporting premises for the fact that the magazines don't do a particularly adequate job of rating golf courses. Of course that's just my opinion and someone else may feel they do a great job. Certainly they're primarily interested in selling magazines and how interested they are in really good architectural analysis, I have no idea. Certainly, the fact of their interest in primarily selling magazines is so fundamental and has been mentioned so much on here that I saw no real reason to mention it again. So, far from overriding my conclusion that they don't do a particularly good job of rating golf courses (or architecture), it supports my conclusion, as far as I can see.Frankly, I'm one of probably only a handful on this website who thinks that any rating  when done in the form of numerical ranking is particularly detrimental and counterproductive to many golf courses and possibly even the future of archtitecture itself. I would much prefer specific architectural analysis of various golf courses for their inherent architecture or even architectural analysis of various styles. If a magazine writer wants to do that great. I would assume he would concern himself with explaining what's good and bad about that particular golf course and its architecture, and better yet, if he's going to get into that he could certain go on to explain what he thinks would need to be done to that particular golf course and its architecture to make it better. The general result of the numerical ranking method seems to have been to encourage golf clubs to do things to their courses and architecture that are the wrong things for them to do. Simply looking at what some course high on the rankings is doing and trying to copy or emulate it is as detrimental as anything since that other course may be of an entirely different age, style, purpose, agronomic conditions, whatever. But most of the people who do those things simply don't understand that.And I certainly don't agree with you when you say a Ron Whitten or a Tom Doak would be really a scary prospect for anaylyzing architecture. You seem to imply that they have no basis to claim they are more "expert" in golf architecture than anyone else. Really? How does an art critic or a movie critic or a food critic become a recognized critic then? If you assume that anyone has a much right to claim they are as valid a golf architecture critic as a Bernard Darwin, Herbet Wind or Tom Doak then I suppose you're saying noone should claim to be a critic. Lastly, I couldn't agree with you more that good old "word of mouth" and general unpublicized architectural evaluation and opinion is probably just as good as anything. The recognition of good golf courses and good architecture by no means started with the publication of the "best" of anything lists from these golf publications.Defenders of the magazine ranking lists say the lists encourage architectural discussion and that's a good thing. I'm not sure that it is since not having magazine rankings lists is certainly not going to stifle architectural discussion and evaluation, in my opinion. Most of the time the architectural discussion isn't even about architecture, it's about the criteria used to evaluate architecture by these magazines including the number of raters who have to see a course. And unfortunately 99% of the reading public actually takes all this stuff as gospel even though they have no idea how it works, and detrimental things can happen to some quality courses because of that. I also recognize that there are plenty of very knowledgeable contributors to this website who are fascinated by comparing golf architecture. I guess I'm not one of them and I don't see why I ever would be. I actually think you can have a very productive and valid discussion about golf course architecture and I don't even think you have to get comparative about it!But the magazine ranking lists do sell golf magazines, I'm sure.

Paul Richards

Stories about Lord Byron
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2001, 07:00:00 PM »
Patrick and Joe:Thanks for the responses.I'm hoping some others out there in GCA-land have other Lord Byron stories to share!
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

cary lichtenstein

Re:What is the best course where the preponderance of members ride?
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2006, 08:43:05 PM »
Bump
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2006, 09:04:59 PM »
Ran - gratified you recognize Waterville's quality.  The course lacks sex appeal but when you assess and compare the hole-to-hole strengths, I have always thought Waterville ranks up here with the very best in the British Isles.

Ran/Ben - starting to make alternate plans for winter 07 - I assume a jaunt to the southern hemisphere is no longer being considered.

jaycee

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2006, 09:23:54 PM »
With 95 degree Summer winds, Prairie Dunes!

John Kirk

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2006, 09:28:57 PM »
Sand Hills

Jim Franklin

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2006, 09:34:34 AM »
Is this an "All Star" thread where the topic changes periodically? How many different topics have been mentioned on one thread?

Kingsley is still grossly underrated by all magazines.

I concur with Sand Hills about the riding part.
Mr Hurricane

Doug Ralston

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2006, 03:05:21 PM »
The Honors Course

Doug

Gary Slatter

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2006, 03:14:03 PM »
LUCAYAN Country Club.  I just played Kananaskis again (27 holes in 4 hours) and it is a fun mountain experience when played in the fall - greens are fast and firm and fewer players.
Glen Abbey is one of the worst cart courses that I can recall.
I agree with much of what guest MTWILKINSON says about course raters. Many of us have favourite "types" of designs that we want to revisit, and of course are high in our own ratings.
Kingsbarns is one of the best courses to open in the past 20 years.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2006, 10:30:02 PM »
Riviera C.C.

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back