News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re:The Creek Revisited
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2004, 09:52:59 AM »
I'm sure it was #12 that Ben picked out.  When he saw it, that was the hole which had the best variety of native vegetation on the course, particularly in the sandy wastes between the 12th fairway and the ninth.

When selecting a Raynor course for The Confidential Guide, I had a hard time choosing between Camargo and Fishers Island and The Creek [for which I honestly forgot Macdonald was also architect of record, it just always reminded me of the other Raynor courses]; Yeamans Hall was still a mess then.  The fact that I had spent more time at The Creek while working on it was probably a factor, but I thought then that it was the most overlooked of the group, and it still is.  It's right up there with The Valley Club as a wonderful place to play golf.

TEPaul

Re:The Creek Revisited
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2004, 11:24:49 AM »
TomD:

One of these days we'll get around to showing you what Flynn's plan was to fix the so-called "water holes" (#10-13) at The Creek. One thing he proposed (and drew) was about a 35-40ft high mound between #12 and #13 (including a few other rather large mounds elsewhere on those lower holes). God knows why!  I suspect his engineering plan to fix the flooding down there must have included and involved a whole lot of dredged material and being the efficiency expert he and Toomey were they probably figured let's just dump this stuff somewhere on the course and make something out of it instead getting into the expense of hauling the stuff somewhere way off the site.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back