News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jack Evanko

Thoughts on Golf Plan? - Architecture Firm
« on: Today at 12:12:21 PM »
I was recently asked to join my club's Green Committee in Northern California.  The committee/club is already working with Golf Plan/Kevin Ramsey.  I have never heard of the firm and wondered what this community knows about them and what experiences you have had with the firm.  What are their strengths and weaknesses.  I welcome any thoughts and input.  Thanks, Jack

https://golfplan.com/portfolio/

Matt_Cohn

Re: Thoughts on Golf Plan? - Architecture Firm
« Reply #1 on: Today at 02:42:21 PM »
Never heard of them but interesting to see their portfolio is basically entirely Asian except for one other course extremely close to yours.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:07:13 PM »
Kevin and Dave are good friends and highly accomplished architects. The firm was originally founded by Ron Fream, who was pretty much golf design's original globetrotter, and so, although they are based in Santa Rosa, the vast majority of their work is in different parts of Asia. They did Nine Bridges in South Korea, which is generally regarded as the country's best or second best course, and is a world top 100 fixture. Very low profile back home, very high profile around the world.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:16:05 PM »
Adam -

Since Golf Plan was founded in 1972, are they the oldest continuously active GCA firm in the U.S.?

I mentioned the Golf Plan designed Windsor Golf Course (north of Santa Rosa) a few days ago on the thread about worthwhile courses under $100. It was designed/built when Ron Fream was still active in the firm. I like that course. I think the routing makes good use of the creeks & wetlands on the property.

DT     
« Last Edit: Today at 03:20:02 PM by David_Tepper »

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: Today at 04:30:13 PM »
Adam -

Since Golf Plan was founded in 1972, are they the oldest continuously active GCA firm in the U.S.?

I mentioned the Golf Plan designed Windsor Golf Course (north of Santa Rosa) a few days ago on the thread about worthwhile courses under $100. It was designed/built when Ron Fream was still active in the firm. I like that course. I think the routing makes good use of the creeks & wetlands on the property.

DT     

Bobby Trent Jones also founded his firm in 1972. I'm not aware of anyone still working whose firm was created before then, though there might well be someone. Bill Amick founded his firm in 1959, but he's in his nineties and is essentially wholly retired now. I’m not sure when Tom Fazio founded his firm.

Globally I think Hawtree is by a distance the oldest established. Martin is semi-retired but he's still practicing when occasion arises.
« Last Edit: Today at 04:34:00 PM by Adam Lawrence »
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:31:47 PM »
Jack - interested to see what you guys do!  Is it the result of PGA Tour feedback, or just improvements for the membership?
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back